Instead, here's what else has been going on: Not much.
I rode on Sunday, dropped supplements off on Wednesday, and headed back out on Friday. I did Bobby's feet first thing. I'm not sure how I feel about them right now. As always, I welcome (beg for) any and all comments or criticism. Here are pictures from Friday:
![]() |
| LF |
![]() |
| LF i'm not sure of the where/when/how of the missing chunk. |
![]() |
| RF thrush be gone! seriously soooooo much better! |
![]() |
| RF maybe there's kind of a little heel there? maybe? kind of? a little? |
![]() |
| LH |
![]() |
| LH someone tell me that line is the delineation between new hoof and old, and not that i'm foundering my horse. |
![]() |
| RH |
![]() |
| RH |
After all that, I didn't really feel like riding. The cold didn't help. Instead, I put the surcingle and Micklem on and took him down to the indoor for a longe.
He went around w/t fine, and cantered to the left fine, but to the right he either picked up the lead cross cantering behind right away or switched behind once cantering. The switch usually involved a lot of bucking followed by hopping with both hind legs together but cantering normally in front. Clearly he needs to be adjusted. Merry Christmas to Bobby--who wants to pay for the chiro?
After the brief longe, I let him loose and he went loco for a good five minutes straight. He gets pretty silly out in the field, but with the snow and hard ground, I guess he's been missing out on his nightly romp. Once he was done, he calmly walked over to me to get hooked back to the line. I had to walk him out for nearly ten minutes before he was dry and no longer blowing.
He got his cookies and stuck back in his stall. I haven't been out since.
![]() |
| listening to the cows across the road. |










Waiting for the heel to grow in takes forever and truly proper trim on the toe. I think you are doing a terrific job with him. I see nice concavity there! You saw the before and afters of Riley's over 5 months, yes?
ReplyDeleteHis feet are looking good! I'd watch how long his toes are getting, especially on the foot in the first photo. I like how you aren't making drastic changes, and I think you're getting there. The transition takes forever.
ReplyDeleteAlso, yep, that awful looking squiggly line is a transition line, probably from when you first pulled shoes. I wouldn't worry about it too much, unless a lot of new ones start showing up.
I agree with Austen, watch the toes. Also I would trim his bars. My farrier who taught me said to go as far as I was comfortable then go a little more.
ReplyDeleteGood job!
Agree on the toes, especially on the fronts. Chipping like that = self-trimming. You can use that as a guide for how much more toe you can remove. :) You can safely back the toes to the white line, as a general rule. Also agree with Nicole re: trimming bars. And yes, the big difference you're seeing between new and old hoof marks where you took over. That new hoof wall at the coronet band/upper third of his hooves looks GREAT!! Nice and tight. All those lines in his wall where the old hoof is growing out is just more evidence of what a poor job that farrier was doing.
ReplyDeleteHis frogs look fantastic. You're doing a fabulous job!
Um. I don't know anything about hoofers, so I'm not going to comment on that.
ReplyDeleteI just wanted to say that I love the sock/sneaker/gloves combo. :)
The class with which I dress to go to the barn is unrivaled.
DeleteI am not a hoof expert but everything above the line looks like some solid hoof growing down. :)
ReplyDeleteThose are starting to look like real pony feets! I am super impressed that you have brought his hooves along so well by yourself!
ReplyDeletepossibly the money you're saving on farrier can be used on chiro? logic may work on hubs - worth a shot, eh?
ReplyDeleteThe annoying part is I HAVE plenty of "Bobby" money in the account, but it's hanging in limbo waiting to see if I have to spend it on Doxy. My vet is really leaving me hanging with this test.
Delete