Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Hello? Anyone out there?

A bad trend has been happening on this blog the past two weeks or so.

Page views are down. Comments are down. Interesting things are down. They're all tied together, and it's no fucking good. I understand it's the holidays which puts all of us in three different categories:

1. Those with social lives that are too busy to keep up on their own blogs, let alone someone else's.

2. Those without social lives who fall into a holiday depression. They crawl into deep, dark caves and give the finger to shadows that they have named after their former best friends, whom they will go back to being best friends with after winter when their best friends are no longer dancing around with glittery garland and mistletoe because they've fallen into category number one.

3. The stalwart blogger that continues to push on, blogging daily, commenting daily, taking a break to play on Facebook, only to come back to see if someone else is trudging through the holiday blogging lull to bring about pony pictures and general hilarity.

I find myself dabbling in all three categories. I was decked out in garland and bows and ribbons yesterday while taking down Christmas decorations. It was all fun and good despite the cold weather....until I got to the lights.

Gosh, I hate lights.

i thought i was going really minimalist this year with decorations.

The problem was that I wove the lights around the rail on the front porch which means I had to unweave them between the tiny slats. Yeah. By "unweave" I mean I yanked them out, cursing loudly the entire time, and threw them across the porch one foot at a time until I had a giant pile of snarled, broken lights. And then I threw them ALL AWAY.

Fuck you, Christmas.

But that's not what this blog is about. It's about ponies, and there's nothing more you guys love reading about than a Bobby Magee story that goes wrong. Am I right, or am I right?

Well, I did ride on Sunday. I put him in his Micklem for the first time in forever. Like, two months? Totes forevers. I put the running martingale on, too, for emergency back up. However, despite being a bit resistant to start out, and being a touch heavy throughout, he was actually pretty good. There was none of his trademark flailing which I guess is a bit of a let down blog-wise.

snowflakes in the indoor.

He had Monday off while I battled holiday cheer and tried not to pull the Christmas tree down on top of my head, but I was back out this morning for another ride in the Micklem.

He was much quicker to adjust and relax today. He even started stretching down a bit while on a loose rein during warm up. Stretching was something I really had a hard time asking for in the hackamore. It's always been a weak point for Bobby, but he does "get it" better with a bit.

After warm up, where the canter work was shortened to only two laps of the arena to the left due to his hips, I asked him to come up to the bit more. He was again resistant--not in a bad way, just in a normal stiff horse way--so after a few minutes of getting nowhere, I put him on a circle and did some remedial pressure-release to the left.

the hounds watching patiently.

Without fail that unlocks him, and when I straightened him back out and asked for the trot, he let out a big sigh, rounded up his back and neck, and was as light as a prancing dressage fairy horse made of downy feathers in my hands. I could have trotted him forever like that. There was literally not one thing I would have changed.

I only worked him for another five minutes afterwards though. My rides still haven't ventured past twenty minutes including warm up. Only five more days until the chiro is here!

So while everyone is getting wasted tonight, any ideas for a Wordless Wednesday picture theme? I've had gif block since the last two. Bobby's life as a Disney princess? What happens to Bobby when I sell him to the Amish, as told by Breaking Bad? Let me know.

29 comments:

  1. I have had so little time to look at a computer that it's sort of a relief that people aren't updating because then I'm not behind.

    That said, I wrote some pretty great posts and was like "but I will get nooooooo comments" so I scheduled them for a little later.

    I'm not really doing anything interesting. Maybe I'll blog about how both my horses are now barefoot? wheeee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, what? Barefoot Courage? You better blog about it!

      Delete
  2. "Am I right, or am I right?" You are so right!

    Love hearing anything about Bobby Magee, especially when he speaks up, as he has a delightfully dry and wicked sense of humor... Wherever does he get that from? ;D Sorry - I've been lurking more than commenting, due to a combo of #1 and #2 - but have been reading faithfully.

    Are the canines yours? How the heck do you get them to wear their sweaters?! My jrt becomes immediately paralyzed when I attach her outerwear. Can. Not. Move. Ever. Again.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dogs love their blankets! They have almost no coat (especially the Heeler), and they love being outside as much as possible, so they like staying toasty under their fleece.

      Delete
  3. I love your posts (but rarely comment), however I am currently in mid-option #4:

    Preparing a cross country move with three dogs, three semi-feral-former-dressage ponies in sub zero weather. New years resolution: do something Stupid. Check.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're going to WEF/Texas?? Yay!! Can't wait to read about it!

      Delete
  4. I fall under the 'too depressed to care too much' category. The cold weather combined with no real pony to ride has left me blah. Plus, no pony rides = nothing really interesting to post about :(

    I liked your decorations! I didn't even put up a tree - Mum and dad came and did it for me haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cold weather is definitely a big deterrent for me, too. I look outside and if I see so much as ONE snowflake, I'm like, "Roads are too bad. Better stay home." Hopefully Fiction will be back in action in no time!

      Delete
  5. Disney princess sounds entertaining... mostly because I somehow stumbled across random buzz feed blogs about Disney yesterday. Who knew the epic dancing scene in Sleeping Beauty & Beauty and the Beast was the same animation?! Crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What?! I need to spend more time on buzz feed.

      Delete
  6. I'm still out here! And trust me, I've still been reading everyone's blogs, even if I have really nothing to write on mine about haha. Afetr these holidays, I'm sure everyone will (read: should) return to their regularly scheduled blogging programming.

    Also, need to mention: I LOVE how you write, with your side comments and sarcasm. That is definitely not lost on me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Here, I'm here! I wasn't at work for much of last week (where I do my blog reading), and then I was catching up on actual work (boo, hiss), so today is the first "read blogs" day in about a week! Count me as another reader who enjoy your sarcasm and snark. :) Hope 2014 will be bringing good things for you and Bobby M.!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love people that read blogs during work. It's like a job in itself!

      Delete
  8. I wish I could say illness is an excuse... But it's not. Definitely holiday depression. BLAH! Bobby sounds like things are looking up. Hopefully you've got some awesome goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :( Holiday depression blows, especially on the east coast where winter seems to go on forever.

      Delete
  9. I'm here, blogging on vacation. It has definitely slowed down for me too. I thought I just got boring all of a sudden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I'm so lazy about commenting on people's posts, I guess I should take my own advice and start letting people know I'm still reading, too!

      Delete
  10. So, how long did it take before you were hooking Bobby to the cart? The Fancy Pony is diving in! She needs to be driving by next month! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, he was already 100% confirmed in ground driving before we started, so he dragged a tire the first day and then got the cart hooked the next. I drove him around the arena by myself in a week. BUT I had a former Standardbred trainer helping me, and Bobby is pretty blase about life in general. You know, when he wasn't trying to lie down to get out of pulling.

      Delete
  11. I'd say mine it cause I'm busy, but lets be real, there's been time, I've just been trolling (its harder to post from my Nexus) and far too lazy to post about my own shenanigans, or lack there of.... Breaking Bad Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or Perhaps "Breaking Bobby", as in "I'll break you, Bobby, if you don't knock it off!"

      Delete
  12. Look at that you brought us all out of our caves :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't worry, that's the trend for this time of year. Less people in the office = less views/comments. I'm seeing the exact same thing, but be assured I've been reading your blog through my vacation even if I wasn't commenting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize so many people read blogs at work. Isn't that frowned upon? Not by me, obviously, but by employers. Dunno. Just write it off as public relations research, I guess.

      Delete
    2. Pssh. We have loose scruples, don't judge us.

      Also, are you sick? You used the word "gosh" when you could have used "god", "goddammit", or the ever-faithful "fuck."

      Delete
  14. I look forward to the holidays when november rolls around but I am soooo over the madness by now. I am ready to get back to my "real" life of ponies and blogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on guilting all these people out of hiding.

    I'm in a slightly different category! Everyone ends up being caught up in holiday madness and the subsequent depression and my work life is just absolutely insane. Not so fun to try and catch up on anything else if Christmas is one of my longest work days. ;)

    But I do try and read, but much easier to read on the phone, hiding under the covers than writing something for the blog!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.