Thursday, December 26, 2013

Left Hanging

I swear I was going to do a pre-Christmas post that was all, "Got to ride my horse first thing Christmas Eve, he was super, can't wait to get back and ride him again, Merry Christmas to everyone, too bad your horse isn't as bitchin' as mine, someone please buy me a dressage saddle."

But clearly that did not happen.

I did get out and ride my horse first thing Christmas Eve. He was not super. He was spectacularly awful, and there was much head flinging and rocking horse cantering to be found. I only rode for about twenty minutes and not much of it was productive. We were able to end on a "good" note, in that I wasn't threatening to beat him about the face and neck while mounted, but it wasn't great work. He got his sheet swapped out for his blanket and was run through his carrot peppermint stretches before being abandoned with his hay--and his Uncle Jimmy's Hanging Ball that he has only half devoured and still insists on smearing over every inch of his body.

The chiro won't be able to get out until January 6th which is forever. In the meantime, we'll be doing lots of long and low trot work, minimal canter work, and lots of walking up the boring conditioning hill. So much for kick starting December with a fresh, sound horse. That will have to wait for next month.

However.

!!!!

On a GIANT plus side, guess what I did manage to do Tuesday morning.



Oh, that's right. Ride my barefoot horse on the frozen gravel driveway and have him be completely sound.

His hips might not be on the same planet as the rest of his body at the moment, but hot damn, at least I'm not worrying about his little tootsies right now! Here are pictures from his last trim on Monday:

LF

LF
RF


RF

LH

LH

RH

RH

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas after all! And, you know, that your horse isn't as bitchin' as mine. Because I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

8 comments:

  1. His feet are looking sooooo good! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're getting real heel! hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those hooves are looking real good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so loving what you're doing with your horse's feet! I find it so shocking that you can't find a decent farrier. How can someone with (no offense here) virtually no training do a better job than someone who TRAINED to be a farrier? Your posts make me so grateful to have a great farrier - I don't know if I'd have the time and patience to do what you're doing.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.