Friday, December 13, 2013

Mightybobbymagee: The Racehorse. Part II

See Part I here.

classic bobby ears.

Three weeks after Bobby's third place finish--his best to date--he was back for his fourth attempt in three months.

View chart.


Bobby walked out of the gate and dove right for the inside rail. He was a looong was back in a six furlong race, but by the time the field rounded the turn, he was moving up. Once he straightened out, he came flying up the rail before having to angle out to get past the horse in front of him. He didn't manage to catch the winner, but he did get up for second. It was the best finish of his career, and definitely the best effort he put forth.


He was wheeled right back around and made his next start two weeks later at a mile and seventy yards. He had only raced at six furlongs previously.

View chart.


Another bad break, another start well behind the field. However, he moved right up to third/fourth to race in good position. By the time they reached the final stretch, he was actually in second. He was never going to beat the winner, and he ended up tiring and finishing fourth just getting beaten by the two horses in front of him.


Another month, another race. He was dropped back down to six furlongs this time around.

View chart.


This race is kind of fun for me because my friend now owns Sergeant Karakorum--the horse who broke even slower than Bobby. NY-breds must stick together! Both boys ended up waaaaay behind the field thanks to their bad breaks. Bobby had an easier time catching up to the field and ended up duking it out for another fourth place finish. The Sarge stayed in last place, but eventually went on to be a pretty good steeplechase horse.


At this point, Bobby had raced six times in just under four months. The chart doesn't show it, but he ended up bleeding in his last race. He got sent back to Finger Lakes under a new trainer and was given five months until his next race. He was also listed for sale for $5,000 during this time, but obviously no one bought him.

At this point in his career, he had been racing on the winter circuit at Aqueduct in $40,000-$45,000 MSW (maiden special weight, for horses that have never won a race) company--certainly not an embarrassing class to be in. When he finally raced again, now at Finger Lakes, he was dropped down for a $15,000 tag with a bunch of maiden claimers.

View chart.


You won't see much of Bobby in this race. You get to see him load into the gate, break pretty well, get stuck to the outside, and then by the time the camera clears the trees, he's already getting eased. He was pulled up for gushing blood and that was the last time he ever raced.

He earned just over $18,000 for his efforts and finished with a record of 7-0-1-1. The longest he ever raced was one mile and seventy yards, spending the rest of his time at six furlongs.

He made his way back to my college in December of 2009, and a year later he was on his way down to PA to come live with me. Now he spends his time being a professional drama queen. It's a hard knock life.

"but i'm a racehorse!!"
bobby, please.

17 comments:

  1. Just out of curiosity, and because I'm very sheltered, what do you mean when you say he was "gushing blood"? Like out of his nose? What is the cause of that?

    Not trying to be rude or anything of that nature -- I've honestly just never heard of such a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, I was going to ask the same thing. I mean, it must be the nose, right? Burst capillaries and stuff from exertion? (Makes me think of preggo women who get red eyes from pushing.)

      Delete
    2. Ok, WHOA. That's really gross.

      Delete
    3. At first I assumed it was nose, and then I had a moment where I was all like "omg, if I assume that I'll be wrong and everyone will laugh"... so then I imagined it coming out of his eyes or ears and I was like "that CAN'T be right.." so I went back to nose.

      I mean, it's not all like, ebola gushing blood, right? Just like, a little bit, from the nose only?

      Delete
    4. Like Beka said, bleeding is a pulmonary hemorrhage in the lungs from excessive exercise. My definition of a "bleeder" is a horse who has a small amount of blood present in the nostrils, often just one. It's almost always stopped with Lasix, which is why so many horses race on it.

      My definition of a "gusher" is when there is copious amount of blood present in both nostrils. From what I was told, Bobby was like a waterfall of blood which is why he was pulled up mid-race.

      You'll probably find different definitions, and if anyone reading has anything to add, feel free, but those are my thoughts.

      Delete
    5. I think I would have a heart attack if a horse I was riding had a waterfall of blood from his face. Tampons, FTW.

      Thank you for this educational and entertaining lesson.

      Delete
    6. EW ew ew ew ew I am not cut out for the racing world or having babies. Ew.

      That being said, I love Bobbykins and his racing history!

      Delete
    7. 'Gushing Blood' What an image in my head...

      Delete
  2. It's super common in racehorses...almost all of them are bleeders of some sort. Penny was a bleeder too and had lasix. No bigge. Bobby is too cute to be a racehorse now anyways :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. European horses don't run with lasix though, right?

    So cool that you have a detailed history for Bobby. Happy day when he landed with you for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right! However, you'll find that quite a few Euros that ship over here to race (such as in the Breeders' Cup) will put their horses on lasix for that supposed extra advantage.

      Delete
  4. Okay yikes on the bleeding, but otherwise that is really cool that you know and understand his racing history! I've looked up my horse's race history but it's all in a different language "horse-racing-ese" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am obsessed with race charts, so if you ever want to talk Hemie's history, let me know!

      Delete
  5. I kind of wished Jetta actually raced because then I'd have awesome racing pictures/videos :) Love these posts on Bobby's career!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting posts! It's cool you have so many pictures of Bobby from his racing days. I'm glad he was retired when he was, sounds like he was not cut out to be a racehorse.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that even when they are terrible racehorses they still insist on the dignity of being a racehorse. "Bitch please."

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's awesome that you have such a detailed history! And I am partial to the racing industry having spent a few years in it in high school. Racing gets a bad rap, but there are some really caring trainers out there who do right by their horses, who are then retired - while still sound! - to good homes like Bobby.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.