Tuesday, December 23, 2014

TOABH: Shining Star


I finally feel like I can participate in one of Beka's blog hops! The last two were equally great topics, and I loved reading everyone else's responses, but I felt that Bobby's story has been rehashed so many times on this blog that I just couldn't do it again. But I can do a little "new" material for this bad boy.

From Beka:

Let's talk about the biggest achievements your horse has accomplished.  I'm not talking about you as a rider - I want to know what your ponykins has done to make you proud.  Is there a glorious satin collection, did he/she figure out some dressage movement that took months to learn, or are is it just a great day when your butt stays in the saddle?  It's not all about shows or the things that people see.

first day in harness.

We all know by this point that poor Bobby does pretty much everything I can think up for him. He puts up with a lot of shit, but one of the things I think is the absolute coolest about him is his driving ability. 

I've always wanted to drive my horses because driving is fucking awesome. I never got the chance to try with any of my other dudes thanks to a lack of cart, but my BO is actually pretty into driving herself. She taught me the basics on a bomb proof driving pony, and between her and BM we dug through her things and found a fully working set of tack for Robert. 

second day in harness, first day dragging something.

Bobby was already a pro at ground driving thanks to our collective college education, and he raced and trained in blinkers so the closed bridle was no big deal for him. After getting him outfitted, I ground drove him all over the first day. 

On the second day he pulled a tire and was backed into the cart for the first time.

second day, first time meeting the cart.

On the third day I made a deal with my BM to help her with chores if she'd help me get him going with the cart. BM has a long history with harness horses and breaking horses to drive in general so I knew we were in good hands. 

Bobby was a bit of a mule the first few days BM drove him (I led them around), but BM let nothing faze her and by the end of the week Bobby had learned to lean into the harness and pull, and he was trotting with BM fully in the cart. 

Exactly one week from the first time Bobby had ever worn a harness, I climbed in for our first solo adventure. Bobby didn't put a foot wrong and plodded along like a totally broke cart horse. 

first solo trip!

I don't drive him much because the cart is too small for him, but he can go six months to a year without so much as seeing a cart and get hitched right back up without having to revisit anything. So while I'm not big on waxing poetic about my horse, he is pretty fucking awesome sometimes. 

12 comments:

  1. B is the shit. What does he not do!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think 'the ability to humor me even if I say we're doing stupid stuff' is the biggest #1 for me when choosing a horse. Robert definitely has that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bobby is freaking adorbs in harness! Good boy! I love driving and I want to teach Maggie someday (I used to drive Morgans and minis at school), but she needs to learn how to stand the hell still first! Maybe when she's older....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving is cool, but disconcerting to me to be so far away from the horse. However, Bobby looks like he is a super fun guy to go for a drive with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sometimes I forget how cool Bobby is.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Bobby's face in the third photo. He is so ridiculous. (In a good way!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bobby is SO FREAKIN' COOL. Even if he is kinda ugly. He's super cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. :) good, brave pony! Ever consider skijoring??

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love that Bobby brings his same game face to everything you do lol (in particular, thinking of that 3rd pic of him haha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Roberto is the awesomest driving OTTB i have had the pleasure of stalking on the interwebs...The fact he is the only one I currently stalk is immaterial.
    This adventure of yours is a driving force behind my 30 b4 30 goal to teach N to drive - so muchas gracias for continually inspiring me ♡

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.