Thursday, February 27, 2014

Bobby's better side.

I cannot wait for next week. Like, srsly. I'll finally have enough money available to restock a few equestrian staples....like new paddock boots:

legit dead.
(beka, i tried to find my german eyeball socks, but they must be in the wash.
i hope these suffice.)

Bobby continues to step up to the plate for his flat work. I almost feel like I should instigate something just for better blog content. I put him through his warm up longe until he's moving freely forward and stretching down. And not being naughty, as he can still show a bit of half-assed sass when the feeling overtakes him.

he always stops to say hello to memphis on our way out.

For the past week, once I get on him he just goes right to work. It's a weird feeling, riding a well trained horse that doesn't give you any attitude. He keeps getting lighter in the bridle and sharper off my leg, and when he needs a correction, I give it to him and he does what I ask with no dramatics.

and on our way back to his stall he says hello to the palomino twins.

What's caused this earth shattering breakthrough?

Dunno.

I've changed his warm up routine to include a longe. I take the time to heap praise on him after everything he does. "You halted when I asked? Clever pony!" "You didn't impersonate a llama for more than two strides when I picked up the reins? Brilliant!" "You trotted a twenty meter circle with the correct bend and maintained rhythm? Goooooood boy!"

And that's literally it. Who knew the Bad Ass Bobby switch was so easy to flip?

I finished our ride today with a run-through of Novice A and Training A. He was so good. So, so good. If he can stay focused (because simple things like trucks driving through the driveway still require a good stare) and relaxed, we're going to dominate the dressage at shows this year.

look! i almost made him look good!
now he just needs some help from lauren for a better butt.

He gets tomorrow off because it's not supposed to break into the twenties (sad face), but hopefully I can get some video this weekend when it's thirty five. Such warmth!

13 comments:

  1. What size are your feet? I literally never use mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're size 11. I don't think you guys can match that.

      Delete
    2. You are right, 9.5 over here. So your paddles are a lot larger then my paddles.

      Delete
  2. I was just thinking that your whoppers look like they are in the neighborhood of me and gigantor (L.) above. But... I still use mine occasionally.

    And you have redeemed yourself with the skull socks. I dig. I even accept your excuses for not having more appropriate clothing in the last post. And we need to teach you to knit, so you can make your own mitten-glove-things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have large feet at 9.5 with only 5'3" in the height dept, but sadly that won't help with size 11.

      Delete
  3. I'm sooooo glad you and the Bobs had a breakthrough and things are going well....see? He knew you were on the brink of selling him and he didn't want that, so he flipped the Bad Ass Bobby switch himself :) Yay for good rides!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Jenn, after several bad rides in a row I always drop a threat or two to my pony (i.e. I take away your cookie privileges)! Seems to work okay!

      Delete
  4. Way to go, Bobby!
    I read a book by an old foxhunter who was all about reminding us to "tell them how clever they are" and to tell them all the time!
    Great read! I wish I could remember what the book was...

    ReplyDelete
  5. praise is so easy to give. must make mental note to try that method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got a pair of paddock boots that look exactly like yours! Well loved!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for good rides, so easy to forget what they are like

    ReplyDelete
  8. Woohoo great to hear that all is going so well with the Bobster!

    ReplyDelete
  9. glad Bobby is behaving himself....Tbds do love the praise.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.