Saturday, February 8, 2014

Skijoring, Round Two

Round one can be located here. I'm not sure why some of the pictures aren't showing up. Blogger hates my face sometimes, what can I say?

For round two, we headed up to the cross country field to take advantage of the bigger space. Since Bobby has done this before--and you know, since he's a big driving horse now and everything--we didn't need to worry about having small, closed quarters.

It took us a lap or two to get situated and for me to remember which side the rope had to be on to not get yanked out of the saddle, but other than that it went really smoothly for the first half.

Then we got cocky and picked up the pace the second lap around in the video below. I completely ignored Hubby's request to do a slow turn resulting in his tumble. No harm done. I had a good laugh.


 We got Bobby moving again, but when I looked down at the snow, I noticed that the hoof prints we were following were orange tinted. At first I was like, "Hmm. Maybe his feet were really dirty?" But obviously that didn't make sense and a dozen steps later I realized I was looking at blood.

I jumped off and picked up his legs, finally finding a dime-sized scrape on his left hind ankle from the crust, like if you'd scraped your knee on concrete. I should have thrown polos on him, but it didn't occur to me that the snow would be hard enough to cut him. Poor dude. I led him back down to the barn and threw a sweat wrap on him. Any other horse and I literally wouldn't have done a thing to it, but Bobby's sensitive princess side causes him to blow up whenever he gets any cuts or bites, so I figured I'd be proactive.

Hubby and I grabbed lunch before heading back into town to take the dogs down to the rodeo grounds. I've been working on their "gee" and "haw", but I didn't have anything for them to pull. So Hubby put on his cross country skis and the hounds got to work pulling him up and down the snow mobile trails. Hopefully next time they get hooked to BM's sled they'll be acceptable team doggies.



There's a big tack swap tomorrow that Sarah and I are going to try to hit. I don't have a ton of money to blow since one of the downfalls of living in a newly minted arctic climate is that we're paying for oil way more than we should be, but there are a few things I'm going to try to pick up that I "need".

8 comments:

  1. Ever since hearing about skijoring, I have wanted to try it. I'm glad you had fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best idea ever! I showed my husband the video, but he wasn't convinced to try it..yet!

    I hope the "princess" is feeling better ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my all time favorite horse activities :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay sled puppies! I look like a slacker now, my two huskies never pull anything! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We call this, "Things that only Bobby can do." :D

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.