Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Wildlife.

I headed up to the freshly grated and dragged outdoor first thing this morning. It looked amazing. No one had ridden in it yet and all the jumps were moved to the corners so it was a great big square of awesomeness. But Bobby and I weren't really feeling the whole ring work thing today so we quickly abandoned it and headed out for a long trail ride.

As soon as we set foot onto the trail head, baby bunnies started blasting out of all corners of the woods.


They weren't particularly clever bunnies, and one hopped along frantically in front of us for the first half of the path. The little fuck was lucky Bobby didn't tromple him to death. Bobby's take on all things scary on the trail: If you kill it, it can't kill you. He goes out of his way to stomp on scary things.

Next up were sleeping deer.


I saw one stand up from the tall grass they were in so I started serenading Bobby with a little Aladdin soundtrack music--this is usually a good deer deterrant. They run far and fast when they hear my beautiful voice. So up popped another deer, and then another and another until there were six deer trotting across the field away from us. We passed several others prancing through the woods as we went along.

Finally, after crossing the creek and the road, and leaping our way up a hill (never has losing a stirrup seemed so terrifying as when you're vertically ascending a mountainside and you think you're going to go sliding backwards off your horse), we came blasting out into an open field and pissed off a bald eagle.


Bobby was understandably slightly taken aback by this screaming, offended, giant bird that launched itself from the branches behind him and did a rather admirable airs-above-the-ground leap forward before deciding that being eaten alive wasn't worth getting worked up about and continued calmly on his way.

We passed a couple of red tailed hawks, too, but those suckers are like pigeons around here. You barely take notice of them.


So besides the copious amounts of wild animals we encountered, we had a pretty uneventful ride. I conquered one of the monster hills I was afraid to ride down when I went out with Sarah the last time, Bobby played in the creek for awhile, and we did a lot of trotting. We were out for an hour and a half and just as we ambled back to the barn, it started snowing like crazy. Full on blizzard! And then it stopped because it is fucking April after all. It's supposed to be in the mid sixties the rest of the week and the mid seventies over the weekend. Whatev, weather.

7 comments:

  1. Bald eagle?! Sweet! I saw a few of them in Alaska but that was it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up in SC and then IL so my first trip to Montanta I was like, "OMG BALD EAGLE! OMG ANOTHER ONE! AMAZING!!!" And now out here it's like, "Oh, hey. There's a bald eagle feasting on the side of the road. That's dope."

      Delete
  2. Im so jealous. I wish my TB had a brain :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I think it's Bobby's lack of brain that makes him so..."brave" lol.

      Delete
  3. You seriously saw all this one on trail ride, lol, omg!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the Pennsylvania Wilds! ;)

      Delete
  4. Most excellent trail ride. I haven't tried Aladdin music. I usually stick to things that I have no chance of ever actually sounding good with and can barely remember the words to.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.