Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Trailer Tales

I've mentioned this a few times, but we finally bought a new trailer, and it finally came home today!

When we moved to PA at the end of 2010, we were able to pick up a trailer from a friend of Hubby's for a whopping $275. It's an old as hell Kingston, it's ugly, it's rusty, it doesn't have a divider, and there are about ten different locks on the back door because it didn't have any when we bought it, but structurally it's totally sound. 

there it is behind bobby in all it's ghetto glory

We've hauled one to two horses in it for the past four years, and it's never given us any problems--well, except for that time one of the tires blew on the world's shittiest road, and the spare mysteriously picked up a leak between then and when we checked it that morning. It was the easiest trailer in the world for me to learn to haul, and its squirrelly nature when asked to back up makes me feel like I can do a three point turn with a semi if called upon. 

But with the amount of shows I'm going to increasing, hauling out for trail rides, and me very slowly (very slowly) learning to love the nicer things in life, it was time for an upgrade. Last year we bought the truck, and this year our primary goals was to find the perfect trailer. 

I didn't think what I wanted was going to be all that hard to find. I wanted a two horse bumper pull with a dressing room. I didn't want full back doors because Bobby gets hot when it's fifty degrees out; he'd roast alive hauling in 80* weather with only sliding windows for ventilation. Those were literally my only must-haves.

Well apparently such magical trailers under $5,000 are in short supply around here.

I finally found one on craigslist in December, but we didn't have enough money for it then. I kept stalking the ad. It was re-posted in January...still didn't have the money. And then it disappeared. I was pretty bummed, but not surprised. Hubby finally gave me the green light at the end of February to find something with the intention of buying. 

I told him I'd already found what I wanted--it was just too bad they'd already sold it. But I opened up craigslist again, and what had just been re-posted that very day? My trailer! I immediately got in contact with the lady and set up a date to come see it. 

Of course, being in NE PA in the winter from hell, it snowed five inches the day we were supposed to go, and I had to wait even longer to touch it. 

Last week we were finally able to get up there. It's an extra tall '93 Trail-Et with a dressing room with approximately ten million bridle hooks and three saddle racks. The back is a ramp with no top doors. There are side windows and a top vent. The owners put an all new frame on it a couple of years ago, and were super meticulous in its upkeep.


And, talked down to only $3,000, it's ours! We've been fighting bad weather and work schedules to get the title signed over and the trailer picked up, but we finally made it happen today. I want to put my horse in it just because. 

As far as my old Kingston, I put it on craigslist, and two days later someone bought it for the full asking price. Easy peasy sale. It's been retired to local hauling, but mostly for training a horse that doesn't want to get on a trailer. 

Now I have to think up a new way to tell people how to find me at a show. "Look for the oldest, ugliest trailer being hauled by the green Dodge" isn't going to work anymore. Oh dang. :P

29 comments:

  1. Congrats on the trailer! I feel it needs some neon Bobby-themed decals. Then people will still be able to find you :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It's beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should get "BOBBY MAGEE" written on the side in Comic Sans. Or maybe Wingdings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats! May you have and Bobby have many fun adventures in his new ride!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! Congratulations! Love the new ride :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoop whoop for the new trailer!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice trailer! Glad you found what you were looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hoooray! I am currently searching for a trailer too, and it is kind of the pits. So I am happy your search has ended and you now have a glorious non-ugly horse hauling vehicle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the new purchase! May you have many happy miles driven in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. YOU GOT THAT FOR $3K?! Damn, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - great shopping!! Maybe paint the trailer pink with rainbows and unicorns so people can find you at shows?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woohoo! Congrats! I am also proud of my ghetto roots ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wahoo!! Sometimes, it all falls into place, doesn't it? So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAY magical trailers!!! I too have rocked the sderious ghetto trailers since I was a child. I randomly found a featherlite for $3k last summer and snatched it up so fast.

    Unicorn trailers DO exist :D

    YAY TRAILERS

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats!!! That's a super nice trailer for that price. You win :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats, So glad for you. We went from a rusty Cherokee bought for $105 to a brand new Gore. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats on the new ride. May you travel in style!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also used to be the person saying "Oh, you'll know my trailer. It's the one that looks like it doesn't belong." Nothing like being one of the only stock trailers at a dressage show ...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Woohoo congrats on finding the dream trailer within budget.
    Agree with above comment to decal the bajeesus outta that bad boy to help with show recognition ☺

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so awesome !! Up here that trailer would be an easy $6000 probably, i've been looking for a gooseneck and it's damn near impossible to keep in my budget.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hooray for trailers! Is it Bobby approved?

    ReplyDelete
  22. I bought a trailer in the fall, a two horse GN with a weekender from 1989. I'm planning on doing some renovations and have found the FB group Horse Trailer Conversions very helpful, you should check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow - what a great deal - congrats on the new ride!!! wishing you many happy adventures in it :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow, sounds like a spectacular deal! And personally, I think you should just paint the trailer bright pink... nobody would have trouble finding you then ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.