Friday, February 24, 2012

Small Wins.

how does this even happen?
All the ponies enjoyed the warmer weather and the copious amounts of mud today, Bobby included. I walked in to find splatters all over his face and caked on pretty much everywhere else. Good thing I just washed his sheet two days ago....

Today was a much better day than yesterday. I actually didn't even want to go to the barn, but I put on my big girl pants and drove out. We waited for about forty five minutes after getting tacked up while the barn help watered and dragged the arena, which involved a lot of cursing at the watering tank spiogt thingy that didn't want to turn on. But it was worth it because we were the first ones in after it got done and the footing was killer.

We kept it short and simple to avoid any conflicts. Lots of trotting with changes of direction and circles. Nothing fancy, just trying to keep a forward, rhythmical pace. Sarah came in for a few minutes right before she left and told me, "Don't take this the wrong way, but your posture is so much better now." YAY! Small win! I'm no longer looking like I'm about to fall flat on my face. There may be hope for me being a dressage rider after all.

We started cantering when BO came in for a lesson and she called out that his canter was really coming along well. YAY! Small win! He actually wasn't yanking on my hands the whole time, nor was he going a million miles an hour in a crooked sort-of circle.

We finished our short canters each way and cooled out on the buckle. As we were walking around, BO was like, "Wow, Carly. Even his walk is looking a lot better. It's really big and swinging." YAY! Another small win!

So I must not be a total failure at ponies. I needed a few compliments to keep myself from banging my head against a wall, and Bobby need a short ride with lots of pats and nothing to fret about. Small wins for a good day!

a day in the life of bobby's bell boots.

new kitty max is settling in and spends his time talking to the birds.

1 comment:

  1. I know what you mean about hearing a few compliments and the small wins! Glad this are getting better!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.