Thursday, December 8, 2011

No news is good news

I got ten tubes of the GastroGard ordered yesterday morning after teaming up with SmartPak who had to call the vet's secretary twice after I had already called her. Honestly, I don't think I've ever dealt with helpful vet secretaries. They always make you feel like you're seriously inconviencing them by calling. Well, sooorry. My five million dollar vet bill is paying your salary, sweets.

Speaking of, ten tubes? $398. Yep. The whole six weeks is going to be $1,540. Sweet. Baby. Jesus. If anyone has a spare tube of GastroGard laying around, send it our way, please! I honestly have no earthly idea how we're going to cover it.

Red was fine yesterday morning. BM said when she went to give him the Gastri-Soothe, she went in sans halter figuring she could just poke it down his throat quickly and put him out. Apparently Red was not down with this plan and, while she got ahold of his blanket, he spun her around the stall several times before she gave up and wrangled him with the halter and lead rope.

It was raining steadily yesterday, but everyone was in the top of the field anyway. I took Red's temp (100.2) while feeding him cookies (this is more difficult than it seems--Red is very bendy), then grabbed Spyder to take him for a spin.

I really like Spyder. If I was so extremely loaded that I didn't even notice a $1,500 medication bill, I would buy him in a heart beat. He would make a seriously fancy eventer. He's got the build and movement a dressage rider would fall over and die for. He's so correctly built, and his movement is so uphill he almost feels like a Fresian when he canters. And while he's still green as grass, he's got a great sense of natural balance and he is so willing.

I started him off to the right which is what I do for all greenie OTTBs--TBs warm up to the right on the track and when you turn them around to go left, it means go time. I find starting right keeps them a little more focused. Spyder doesn't get ridden much, so he was pretty quick to start out. We did loads of serpentines, small circles, big circles, and spiraling circles. As hard as he tries to understand, he really has to be ridden every single step. If you stop riding him on a circle, he won't finish up on his own accord--he veers off in whatever direction seems best, which is usually the opposite you want him to go. We did a brief canter in each direction (so nice to ride a horse that picks up its leads automatically!), then called it quits. As much as I love Red's smooth as glass gaits, Spyder is really fun to ride.

I brought Red in when I was done since he had come down to the run-in. It was pouring by this time and his sheet was soaked so I got him changed into his winter blanket (which was actually Bobby's since his his dirty and therefore hangs off his butt a good five inches). The only time he bothered to look up from his hay was when he heard a peppermint wrapper, which made him turn into a rapist.

BO didn't call last night so I'm assuming he was comfortable. Phew.

In other news, we finally got our christmas tree!

Less than an hour later......

The culprit (who will now be staying in her cage until after Christmas):

And, yes. We did get the massive snowstorm sweeping the nation last night. Prepare to be awed:


1 comment:

  1. Yeah, there's a reason I don't put a Christmas tree up. Pretty sure my corgi would just plain eat it. That dog is insane (oh, and he can digest -anything-).

    Glad Red is doing better. Hope all continues to improve for him (and that you win the lottery).


If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.