Warm up:
Jumping started off with three ground poles we trotted back and forth over a few times each way before Hubby put up an 18" vertical. I trotted Bobby up to it and he sputtered to a stop with too little too late from me. He took one step forward, knocked it down with his knees then had a naughty attack when I expected him to walk over the now downed rail. "You want me to do WHAT?!"
| "this is much too big for me to attempt." |
| "i can't walk over that!! are you crazy??" |
| ok, dick. let's go get a whip. |
Obviously we've got a long way to go, but he's only been ridden for five days and it's a slow process. I'm super happy with our progress so far and I think come May, we'll be in a really good spot to start showing.
RE: massage, which I did again after our ride. I am not at all a professional massage therapist and I really don't even know that much about it. I had Carol Troisi of Light Touch Massage out this past July to do Red and Bobby and she walked me through all the work she was doing so I could keep it up on my own. She said that as long as you're not on bone, work the muscles as hard as you possibly can; you can't massage too hard on muscles. I work mostly on his neck with a curry, then along his topline with my hands. Carrot stretches to each side of his body, stretched out to the front, and between his front legs. There's a million more that I can do, but that's all that I work on for now.
This guy may benefit from a month of just walk - trot, working on a circle, not worrying about his head carriage, just gaining balance, muscle, and rhythm. Did wonders for my guy who is a bit weak behind.
ReplyDeleteCool thanks for the tips!
ReplyDeleteI like your nice, soft hands over the jumps. Well done!
ReplyDelete