Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 9

Another pretty useless day. I can't wait for real spring. I got to the barn really early so I wouldn't be disturbed by anyone. Checked on the arena, but because of the thaw yesterday and the 17 degrees last night, it was all ice. The field still looked pretty good though, so I tacked up Bobby and took him out hoping to get a solid fitness work in.

Mr Princess Feet is going to need shoes after all. I was hoping I'd be able to get away with him being barefoot for elementary eventing, but definitely not. Even with the grass a little frozen he was mincing around. Took him for one winding walk lap around the field (about ten minutes) to avoid the patches of ice and half-melting snow. He had one tiny tantrum where he spun around in slow motion and tried to trot, but I gave him a kick and he resigned himself to walking the rest of the way. He needs some turnout and a good workout, but it's one thing or another.

Took Red out next since he has mustang feet (seriously the best feet I've ever seen in a TB) and I knew the harder ground wouldn't bother him. He's my good ole trusty, trusting steed and he let me steer him in and out of ice and snow with zero contact. Got a little bit of trot in and put him away.


Bring me my hay!

They're still both looking a little ribby, and I wish the barn owner would give them more hay. He's feeding just a mill grain, but I've got both of them on quite a bit of it, including a lunch graining for Bobby. Hopefully they get some serious pasture turnout in summer and the beef up. I wish I had enough money to buy my own grain because I'd put them on something with a little more fat, but I just can't afford it right now.

I'm trying to put one of my student loans in forebearance and the other on an interest-only payment because I seriously cannot afford the $400/month payments. If I could knock them out for a year and use any extra money towards eventing to see if it's something I can do and figure out a plan over the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.