Wednesday, January 8, 2014

27 Questions for Cold Fucking Weather

That may or may not be what Tracy titled her post as well. You'll have to check out her blog yourself to see. However, I'm very grateful for her savvy blogging skills that allows others to look like semi-responsible posters, so once more I'm hopping on the Fly On Over bandwagon and completing questions while it's too cold to do anything else.

1. Favorite thing about riding? Achieving an end goal. There's nothing better than knowing all the hard work you've done has paid off.

2. Green horse or trained horse? I will never buy a trained horse. No matter how many times I have to go through the cycle of basics to advanced work, I would rather put the buttons on a horse myself and know that any quirks or problems are ones I've caused than dealing with a horse's issues from other riders.

3. Have you ever wanted to quit riding? No. I've been burnt out plenty of times before, and I've been scared shitless to get back on, but it's never occurred to me to just stop.

4. Do you prefer to ride inside or outside? Definitely outside. I ride outside in rain, sun, or snow. Of course, I'd probably not like it as much if I didn't have the luxury of an indoor to retreat to when needed.


5. On average, how many times a week do you ride? Four to five. Never more than six days in a row.

6. Have you ever fallen off at a show? How? At a show, only once. And of course there's picture evidence! You can read all about that experience here.


7. Do you have a private or group lesson? I don't lesson. But the few times I did at this barn, I only took privates because I thought it would keep BO from getting distracted and actually teaching. Didn't work. However, I always took group lessons before that and I enjoyed them.

8. In your opinion, does it make you less of a rider if you don't own a horse? Not at all, but I do think less of you if only to come to ride. There's more to horses than just sitting in the saddle. Take pride in your mount, even if it's just a lesson horse. Give him/her a good grooming, wipe down the tack, bring cookies, KEEP THE BRIDLE PATH TRIMMED.

9. Do you plan on having horses in your life for the rest of your life? Yep.

10. If you could ride any famous horse (dead or alive) who would it be? Bjorsells Briar. I worshiped this horse growing up. 

11. Does winning ribbons matter to you? It depends on how things are going at home. Am I going to a show knowing that my training is rocking? Then I'll be pissed if I don't bring home satin. Am I going to a show that it's too late to scratch from without losing a ton of money, and I know my horse is going to be a complete asshole? Then no ribbon is just fine, as long as we don't die.

12. Worst riding experience? My time with the race trainer I worked for at Saratoga in college really killed my desire to work on the backside. I'd had a lot of track experience before signing on with this guy and I really loved it, and I loved working with our school's racehorses, but after that summer, I was completely defeated. That was the beginning of the end for my interaction with On-track Thoroughbreds, but I didn't let it wreck my love for those off the track.

after work with my roomie and my favorite groom.

13. Describe a time when you wanted another equestrian to fail at something. You know, I'm a pretty selfish, shallow, jealous person, and I hate when people do better than me, but I use it to motivate my self to get better and be better than the person I'm jealous of. So I don't think I've ever wanted someone to fail at something, but I have looked at their successes and secretly been like, "I AM GOING TO KICK YOUR ASS."

14. Describe the proudest or happiest moment you can think of in your riding career. The first event I completed double clear with my sassy nutcase of a red pony. It was my first year eventing, and I was still so clueless, but Red packed me around and showed me that he was, of course, a boss at everything. We ended up only in fourth, but that will always be my favorite ribbon, and one of my favorite shows.


15. Do you think any disciplines are cruel? No, but I think there are a lot of cruel gimmicks and cruel people all over the horse world.

16. Your worst riding habit. Leaning. I lean forward so much it's ridiculous, especially if I'm not in a dressage saddle. And every time I do it, I can hear Eric Horgan yelling at me, "Are you proud of your horse?" And yet still I lean.

17. When you're in the show ring, what's going through your mind? When I'm in a dressage ring, I'm thinking, "Don't worry about the judge. Just ride how you have to ride." When I'm in a show jumping ring, I'm thinking, "Please don't forget the next jump. Oh, Jesus. I hope no one saw that. Fuck me, are we done yet??" When I'm out on cross country, I'm thinking.....well, probably nothing. That's a problem.

18. If you owned a barn, would you try for a laid back casual atmosphere, or a professional fast paced one? I would never have boarders, ever, so it would be pretty laid back.

19. If I give you a $2,000 gift card to your favorite tack store/online retailer, what would you buy? A dressage saddle! Yay!!!

20. You’re riding in an arena at home with several other riders, and one of them obviously doesn't know the rules of the ring, even though they’re posted. The others are clearly annoyed, would you do anything? This actually happens to me a lot. I leave the ring. If I can't say anything nice--which I usually can't--then I don't say anything at all. I just go.


21. Worst fear riding? Embarrassing myself in front of a lot of people.

22. How old do you imagine you'll be when you stop riding, and what's the cause? I'm only 26 and I'm already beat up from riding, so I can't imagine I'll be cruising around at 80. Pulling up lame will definitely be the cause.

23. If you could own any number of horses, would they all be the same discipline or a mix? I hate doing just one discipline, so they'd be forced to do all the things. However, they'd all be OTTBs!

24. Favorite colors for your horse? I'm not going to lie. I've slowly been investing in pink things for Bobby.

25. Favorite tack brand? I'm too poor to have one.

26. If given the opportunity, would you breeze a racehorse? I have before. And now my knees don't work properly, and I have an abhorrence for short stirrups. 


27. Three "You know you're an equestrian when..."

You know you're an equestrian when Febreeze is an acceptable means of "changing clothes" to go to the grocery store after a barn visit.

You know you're an equestrian when there are more pictures of horses than people in your photo albums.

You know you're an equestrian when you can rattle off your horse's saddle, girth, bit, and shoe size, but you don't know what size jeans you wear.

10 comments:

  1. OMG I am soo your last #27. Seriously, couldn't tell you the size of any of my clothes, but I know everything that Miles wears!! Bahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Tracy! I'm LOVING your answers to #27....too funny (but also true)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I don't even Febreeze my clothes before I go to the grocery store. I rock the breeches and bootsocks with boat shoes look... I am a crazy person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha. Yeah, I don't change to go grocery shopping (usually) and I know all of both my boys sizes. That said, I also know my jeans size because I buy them at the feed store.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Change clothes, pfft. Smell test, always.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! This is great. I have to say, when they came out for Axe Anarchy for girls in that cool aerosol spray thing like they do for guys? I bought like 4 cans. It's great and fits in your glove box... It even smells a bit better than Febreeze. But most of the time, I don't care :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your three "you know your an equestrian when" statements. SO true!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the last one! I am so with you on the ring, I would rather ride outside under the stars than with other people in the indoor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love these!

    The answer to #15 - love! Very well put!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.