Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Toes.


Red's leg looked waaay better today after the sweat. There was a small amount of filling around the ankle, but none at all anywhere else. I scrubbed off all the furazone, cold hosed him for five minutes, then BM offered to rasp down Red's feet for me since they've gotten so chipped up on the rocky ground.

BM said that Farrier needed to rasp off the heels to give Red something to stand on, but she hasn't been doing that. What that's causing is a rocking motion, making his toes shoot out longer, and in the long run it would break down his pasterns. She said the swelling in his leg could very well have come from a combination of the mud, deep footing that he's not quite used to yet, and the super long toes.

I decided to get on him today to see how he was feeling and I booted him up and took him to the outdoor. We walked and walked and walked and walked--literally the whole time BO was giving a lesson. I worked on getting him to come up to the bridle, then stretching back out, then coming back up again without throwing a fuss. I thought he was going lovely, and he must have looked semi-fancy because one of the girl's in the lesson said, "I love your horse!" as she went by. BO also said, "I really like him. He seems like a really honest guy." Why thank you. I think he's rather fabulous myself.

I asked BO to watch him trot and canter to see if she saw anything, and she said he looked just fine. I certainly didn't feel anything. I worked him at the trot for about ten minutes total, taking walk breaks between another rider working on cantering her greenie, then cantered him three times around the arena to the left.

BM came up and said that the barn's farrier was there, and he only had one horse to shoe, so if I wanted him to do Red, he'd have the time. Well, I don't have the money. I didn't even have my checkbook to write him a check I hoped wouldn't bounce. However, BO offered to cover for me and since BM said he really needed to get done, and what she was saying made complete sense, I agreed.

I cold hosed Red's leg--which was back to 98% normal--while I waited for the farrier to finish with the other horse, then led him over to see what new farrier had to say.



Red got done August 30th, and that's how much he took off! He said he still thought they looked a little long, but I thought they looked short! Really short! I guess I'm just used to seeing them so long. He said with new farriers, they're told to be more conservative with how much they take off so the horse doesn't get sore and they lose a client. Well, for $30 for this guy, I think I'll take him over someone who leaves so much foot!

new front feet.
I sweat wrapped him one more time to hopefully get any last swelling out. Hopefully the new feet help too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.