Thursday, August 7, 2014

Game Plan

Hot damn I love me a good game plan.

I finally got in touch with Chiro who told she wouldn't be able to make it out to my barn for three weeks. I was all, "Nooooo. I need you now." So she was all, "Well, you can come to my house if you want." Of course I was all, "Sign me up. We're there."

She's almost an hour away, but I'm going to trailer the dude up there this upcoming Tuesday afternoon for a good cracking. Like any chiro in PA has to be, she's also a practicing vet so if she tells me that this issue will not be fixed by putting his stifle back into place, then I'll scratch from August's show and have my vet out pronto. In the meantime, I'm vigilantly continuing with the DMSO mix on his stifle area.

Bam. Game plan. I like it. You can dislike it if you choose, tell me I'm not doing my due diligence (sorry, I had to poke fun), but I feel no need to justify myself on a fucking blog.

burton waiting patiently for more peppermints to be dispensed.

This morning the report from BM was that Bobby had walked in looking completely sound, with the exception of looking a little hitchy coming down the steepest part of his paddock's hill. Good results after getting worked almost for reals yesterday. She asked me how much Bute he was on, assuming that was what had caused the improvement. Bobby, however, has not been on any Bute after the first day (being last Wednesday). That still leaves it up in the air about what did cause the improvement, but c'est la Bobby.

In the indoor he wasn't quite as limber as yesterday, but definitely a marked improvement from Monday. He still wanted to jet about in the canter, and it still felt just downright weak, but he also still didn't offer to swap behind. After the canter I did a little no-stirrups sitting trot (mostly because I am so ineffective asking for quality flat work in my jump saddle, but my legs need short stirrups so badly) and he felt completely sound again.

puppies on a walk because no new pony pictures

I touched up his feet again since it's been a whole week since they last got done, painted his fancy sauce on, and forcefully stuffed him back into his stall so that I could close the door because ohmygod he needed all the cookies not just ten. Also, no pointed toe stance the entire time I was there.

You are a magical mystery, Robert. So speshul.

19 comments:

  1. I diligently kick all the legs to make them equally lame all the way around and viola they are sound by being equally lame. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way you guys think. He's not lame... He's just awkward... Yeah, that's it.

      Delete
    2. I feel like I'm working hard enough at making him lame in all four legs by continuing to do his feet myself that I can spare him the kicking. ;)

      Delete
    3. OMG, why did I not think of this?? Genius!!!!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha I LOVE L's response! And yes, Sir Robert is quite a special pony man :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he heard "show", popped something against a tree, then heard "scratch" and said okay, let's get back to work. But of course it'll only get better slooowwwly because he doesn't want to give you mixed signals that he's show-ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, Carlos did this all the time which is why we started saying show grounds name and s-h-o-w

      Delete
    2. I'm going to have to tell him that I already canceled the dressage clinic we were going to so the show we're getting ready for is one with the jumping. Maybe that will return his enthusiasm/soundness full time?

      Delete
  4. He's totally setting himself up for some serious spoiling/spa treatments. Hope you get good news from the chiro vet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree-I actually think he's a elaborate con-gelding.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I wish I was out horses. I don't treat myself to a lot of the stuff who gets. Jealous of Bobby's body work for sure!

    And love Ls comment. If there is no identifying leg the it must be sound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's the craziest part of horse people's brains! Yes, my horse gets massages. Yes, he gets chiro work. Yes, he gets regular pedicures. Have I ever had any of those things? NO.

      Delete
  6. Huh. So all pet chiros have to be vets? The first chiro we had was a vet, but he just did chiro work. The second chiro was a human and dog chiro, too, so I kinda felt like she didn't get her degree off the internet (maybe). Watch it be something completely ridiculous, like he's off in his poll so he's holding his shoulders wanky, etc, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe it's different for every state. In PA you have to be a licensed vet to do chiro work. The chiro I use does acupuncture and chiro on cats, dogs, and horses on the side. She works for a vet's office as her main job.

      Delete
  7. I always feel better when I have a plan. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG these comments are awesome! Possibly speak of shows in pig Latin when near Bobby?

    ReplyDelete
  9. C'est le Bobby indeed! Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.