Tuesday, August 12, 2014

EAH Blog Hop: Equestrian Wardrobe


Time to display the poor folks side of Hillary's first blog hop! I love how classy you ladies look in your breeches and boots that I can't even afford to say the names of. Should I ever not be on my current budget, I'm going on a national tour and making you guys dress me. Because yes, I lust for brown boots, too.

heyyyyy. poor folks ride as well as they dress.

Let's start from the bottom up.

I school in paddock boots and half chaps. My paddock boots are the cheapest I could find that actually come in my size (That size being Sasquatch sized.). They're synthetic Middleburg lace paddock boots because I hate zippers. I bought these in March. My last pair lasted an entire year, but these are already falling apart. Awesome! Let's hope they hold together until Christmas.


My half chaps are Ariat Stable half chaps that apparently aren't even made anymore. I think they ran about $70 originally, but I bought them on Victory Canter's clearance page for $40. They only had brown left, so I don't match in the slightest. However, they're super comfy and are going strong on year three with no issues.


I school in Horze Active Self Patch breeches. The self patch means that the knee patch is just another layer of fabric. High class? Yes. They run for $55, but I got them during a sale for $30 a couple of years ago. The crotch in them is fraying to a dangerous level, but until my underwear is showing they're going to have to hang in there. I only have two other pairs of breeches, and they're both reserved for showing.


As far as shirts, my favorite to ride in are the Old Navy Vintage tees. You can get them two for $8 in store, and I have about a million. They're super lightweight, soft, and don't show sweat marks as easily. Always a plus.


As far as gloves and socks go, I cycle through gloves every couple of months. I usually ride in Heritage gloves or a cheap pair of batting gloves, but my rubber reins chew through them like butter. My socks are just straight up fabulous. Look through old hoof picture posts to confirm that.

24 comments:

  1. Thank you.

    Yeah, I lust after brown boots, too. And stuff that is actually made to be ridden in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what size do you need to be to be in Sasquatch territory? I'm probably a member...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can join the short people with sasquatch feet Club. At only 5'3" I support a size 9.5 shoe. Love the unapologetic look at regular get the job done riding clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here. Actually I have a pair of paddock boots and chaps I don't use anymore in brown if anyone wants to maybe buy them super cheap from me :)

      Delete
  4. Love the first picture! Thanks for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Compared to some things I've seen (in the show ring no less) around here, you are actually still pretty high class! I have an old pair of brown 8.5 paddock boots I'd happily part with, but I'm guessing that isn't sasquach territory.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, Can I join you in the "poor rider clothing" category?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You da best. Shit be real, and I love you. Also, I had those Horze breeches (also on sale) and LOVED them until I noticed there were -so- many holes in the crotch. I also fear I noticed this several rides too late, but none of my barn friends told me I was mooning them in a most severe way. Fun times.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just match your underwear to the breeches and no one will notice the holes. ;) Bam, just got you an extra few months outta those suckers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I pretty much wear whatever I find on the floor...lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those old navy shirts! Super comfy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Poor people unite!!! I LOVE LOVE those Old Navy tees and also own a million of them. Target sells something similar. Word!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THANK YOU!!! A LOT of my stuff comes from Boutique Target or LeFab eBay. Thanks to the shmancy caged stirrups I now own (also thanks to eBay) I actually get to ride in *gasp* SNEAKERS! I'm working on my post for this blog hop...it'll be the not-so-fancy endurance twist. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first pair of riding boots weren't even riding boots but fleece lined winter boots, and it took until I finally got my own job in college for me to get real riding boots. They were Saxons and I thought they were the coolest thing ever. It also took me until about five years ago before I finally invested in real breeches. Up until that point I rode exclusively in jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I second the lightweight tees! Those suckers are essential for me! I lucked up a sale and got some for $3 a piece, new. That's the kind of thing I get excited over!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am all about the Old Navy vintage tees! I have a dingy gray one I wear more often than I like to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I also believe in wearing pants just until you can actually see undies. Then I usually consider patching

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.