Wednesday, November 27, 2013

5 Day Challenge - Day 2

I managed to do a drive-by at the barn today to pick Bobby's feet, stuff half a dozen peppermints down his throat, and drop off his SmartPark. He did his princess filly whinny to me when I walked into the barn, and before you think it's so cute that my horse greets me upon arrival every day, take note that I usually come in around the time that he's getting his last flake of inside hay for the day thrown to him.

6. Favorite equestrian book and movie

My absolute favorite horse book is Finding My Distance by upper level eventer Julia Wendell. I bought this book a few years ago, just when I was getting started in eventing, and I sat down and read the whole thing through in one day. A few weeks later, I did the same thing. This book is a fascinating, detailed look into what it takes to manage a string of event horses (and racehorses) without being the slightest bit boring or tedious. I'd recommend it for any discipline of rider. It's a total must-read.

My favorite movie is a toss up between National Velvet and the old Phar Lap. They don't make horse movies like they used to. Am I right, or am I right?

my free tee i won from riding warehouse.
hubby's quote: "here, take a picture so you can show your blog."

7. Most common riding misconception

I hate when people pick out a discipline they're not familiar with--such as eventing or racing--and immediately begin pointing fingers at how wrong or abusive it is. Are there bad trainers and bad riders? Absolutely. You can find them in any discipline. But don't make broad, sweeping statements to encompass a sport you know nothing about.

black thunder was not feeling cooperative about posing with her thanksgiving feast.

8. 2 riding strengths and 1 riding weakness

I'm not sure where to go with strengths. Like Tracy, I take instruction well and usually only have to be told to correct something once in lessons.

I'm also usually a very "tight" rider in that I don't come out of the tack easily. I'll credit this to being plunked on top of Red Pony fresh from a month on the farm after being gelded and jumping out of pastures (his fave thing to do in life) and being set loose in our conditioning field in college. Nothing will teach you to sit tall and ride long like a red-headed, coming off of a steroid and horomone high five year old racehorse. I can ride through theatrics pretty well.

My biggest weakness is my short temper. I have to literally just quit and get off once I blow a fuse, because I don't easily come down from a tantrum. Bobby and I are really not a match made in heaven for this reason. We both get pissed too easily.

she pouted when i forced her to stand by her delicious snacks.

9. Least favorite thing about horses and/or riding

The people. Let's face it. Horse people are whack jobs--all of us! While the equestrian community can certainly rally around each other, there are a lot of us that are also catty, jealous, and condescending. It's what makes barn drama so hard core awesome!

then i called her name to get her to stop sulking in the corner and she wrecked her pose again.

10. What do you feed your horse?

I feed the barn grain, which probably won't make you hoof nerds too happy. Oh, well, hoof nerds. Contact me on how to pay for a personal grain choice for Bobby if you're concerned.

Bobby gets unlimited hay--none of the horses in the barn are ever without hay in front of their faces. Barn rule. During the late fall/winter/early spring months, hay is fed outside during turnout (small squares, not round bales). For his AM feeding, he gets 3 quarts of sweet feed mixed with alfalfa pellets, 2 packets of Knox gelatin, one scoop Fat Cat, and one scoop Recovery EQ. For his PM feeding, he gets another 3 quarts of sweet feed and alfalfa pellets.

it took an entire year of tweaking grain amounts and fat supplements
before we found the magic formula for this hard keeper princess.

3 comments:

  1. Ugh I'm totally in agreement with your riding misconception! I mean in the end, we're all completely insane for bringing these ridiculous animals into our lives, no need to nitpick at other disciplines :)

    PS so much love for your bunny!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, love that photo of the hubby!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.