To make up for the inhuman treatment of my horse (or, at least according to him I'm sure), I've tried to keep the rides interesting. Monday's exercise was a set of four canter poles on one long side, and on the opposite side were four trot poles to an X.
The most exciting development? No sneakers on Robert's feet! I put them on him to walk him down the gravel driveway, but once in the cushion-y (Blogger, Y U No Like My Words?!) indoor, I pulled them off and he was totes perfect. E-high five, everyone!
Bobby was super happy to be jumping, even if it was only a tiny cross rail. In fact, he was so happy that he somehow managed to canter over the 4.5' trot poles to get to the jump without so much as tapping a toe against a pole or getting in an awkward distance to the jump. I'm still not sure how he managed such a feat, especially since he's the size of a large, awkward dinosaur.
| "i'm not a dinosaur!" bobby, please. no one is fooled. |
I finished the ride with some no stirrup work. Quite frankly, I wasn't expecting myself to even be able to get my ass out of the saddle enough for one posting trot stride. I managed two whole laps! (Hush, L. Williams. We lesser riders have to start somewhere.) I did some canter work as well which was much easier, then got off and sort of floated to the barn. I only knew I was walking because I was making forward progress up the driveway, but I couldn't feel my legs. So. Sore.
Today was more trot poles--3 poles set at 4' and a couple of strides to 3 poles set at 6'. We only went few them a few times before I was all, "I'm going to become so good at no stirrup work! Just watch me!" and yanked my stirrups off my saddle. And then I wanted to have a little cry. I did some posting trot, but not much. I finally gave up and just did some dressage work so I could justify sitting the trot.
On the plus side, the dressage work was pretty much fab. His leg yields were flow-y and correct, his canter didn't look like his body stretches out for ten miles, and the shoulder in didn't take almost the entire long side to establish.
I may not have the ability to walk tomorrow, but hopefully by next spring I'll be able to ride at least at the level I was riding Red and Bobby will be able to ride places besides the indoor arena with his naked tootsies.
| "i'm sorry, what? you're not making plans, are you?" |
ugh no stirrup work.... yea....
ReplyDeleteglad all went well in Bobbyland
My legs are hurting thinking about no stirrups!
ReplyDeleteGotta love that no-stirrup work. I need to do more of that myself!
ReplyDelete