Thursday, September 12, 2013

Sometimes my laid up horse does exciting things.

"Oh?" you ask. "What kind of exciting things has Bobby been doing that you haven't been blogging about?"

Well.

I'll tell you.

Sunday morning I met up with Sarah to check out Memphis's hoof that had a run-in with a clip on his shoe and was apparently spouting blood while I was enjoying the pleasures of SE PA. Poor dude was lame, but he'll live. He'll also be joining the barefoot bandwagon. Bobby was pleased to show him all the fun things you get to do while toughening up your tootsies.

You get to perfect your bow:


What? That's not exciting? Bobby disagrees:

really exciting.

You get to graze at choice spots around the barn you don't normally get to go:

"stop making me pose and go back to picking apples off the tree for me."

You get strange, quasi trims from your owner to help keep the chipping to a minimum:

hinds. no real trimming done, just knocking off of the worst of raggedy edges.

fronts. should have taken a before picture of the RF. it looked like a triangle.

Don't think that's particularly exciting either? It is when you're "rewarded for standing still" with the half a bag of peppermints you stole out of the grooming box and dumped in the puddle in the wash stall, effectively making them so sticky that the only choice was to eat them right then and there.

about ten seconds before peppermint ambush. i was too annoyed to get the
picture of them scattered EVERYWHERE.

Unfortunately, sometimes your owner does not find all this excitement enough for her thrill seeking self and she tacks you up and makes you cart her around the arena. Never fear. All you have to do is act like you've suddenly lost your foot (it doesn't matter which one) and you have no idea how to walk. When she calls you out on being completely sound in your unfortunate looking footwear both at the walk and trot on the longe, acquiesce to about five minutes of trotting, knowing that her attention span is short and she'll be happy with that. It's a bonus when she suddenly acts like she's lost her foot and you can hobble around together like friends.

If nothing else, at least she's not making you do this again any time soon:


Bobby Magee: A pimp's life.

15 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure all I can hear is "Everyday I'm Hustlin" by Rick Ross.... do you have that on repeat in Bobby's stall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. At least the two of you are keeping your gimpy selves entertained. What's the time frame on you being reliably able to walk again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monday will be four weeks, and I was told 4-6. Some days it feels like it will be the full 6, some days it feels totally fine. I have a feeling it's going to be achy for quite awhile, but as soon as possible, I'm riding a horse for real.

      Delete
  3. "Is that a carrot in your hand because I'm excited to see you"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time he stretches, he drops. Such a perv.

      Delete
    2. ROTFL I didn't notice until you said something xD

      Delete
  4. Must teach this! It will no doubt end in catastrophe, but its worth a shot. Do you have an aircast for your foot? They're impossible to ride in, but they protect your foot well enough the rest of the time that it seems justifiable to ride for a short amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby sometimes gets his giant head tangled in his legs when bowing, but then no one has ever cited him for his vast intelligence.

      I just have a walking boot that I rarely wear...which has probably not helped aid the healing process but I am the worst patient ever.

      Delete
  5. Actually, I don't think our horses should ever meet. It's bad enough that Riley comes up with enough excuses on his own!

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you know the stretching "relaxes" him :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. His feet look a lot better! And *whine* I want to see Bobby with the cart again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You sound like me haha! I would hop around the barn on one foot without crutches and sweeping using a big broom. Drove my mom crazy with worry but I had great balance :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. LMAO! What a poor, unfortunate soul poor Bobby is! I love how his feet are coming.
    "It's a bonus when she suddenly acts like she's lost her foot and you can hobble around together like friends." - Seriously, I about spewed my drink all over my desk at work! That was really NOT FAIR!
    I would really love to meet Bobby in person. What a character! (Well, and you, too!) :-P

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobby is such a cool horse :) Love the bow! I am in the process of teaching my horse this.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.