Tuesday, December 29, 2015

2016 Goals

For once I've got some very concrete goals for the entire year that I feel really good about. There are a couple unlisted ones that I'm keeping secret because they depend on how the competition season plays out, but if things go even slightly to plan, they should be achievable and bad ass.

goal one: teach bobby to pose.

For Bobby:

1. Grow up. The main focus for every single ride needs to be centered around keeping any tension from cropping up, and if he does start to get wound up about something, to lose the anxiety and transition back to relaxation as quickly as possible. This cycling between perfect to bat shit crazy to perfectly acceptable has got to be halted. It's a waste of time, and it's not doing anyone any favors.

2. Correct the right drift. This has been a life long problem of Bobby's, and with my left knee being essentially useless most of the time, I'm sure I play into it by happily leaning with him. Lots of vee formation poles through grids to get straightness back into our lines.

goal two: learn to clip better. (also, despite appearances, horse is not a pony.)

For me:

1. Push for more. It seems almost counteractive to Bobby's first goal, but I can't feed into his "idiosyncrasies" (to put it nicely) and let him loaf around doing mediocre work when he is, in fact, perfectly capable of performing at a higher level. He needs to step up to the plate, and I need to be the one responsible to ask him to do it. Quietly, calmly, without building tension, but doing it nonetheless.

2. Get comfortable jumping out of an open stride. Not faster, but bigger, longer, more forward steps. I need to lengthen that stride, and then not psych myself out and reel it back in to a collected dressage canter.

3. Sell the horse? This should not come as a surprise to anyone, and I've been talking it over more and more with Hubby. Bobby has never been and never will be my heart horse. I can take him to any barn, and within a month he's got a fan club of people that adore him more than I do, and I've known him since birth. Everyone hits rough patches with their horses, but deep down they still like their partner. I can hit high patches with Bobby and still not particularly like him. We'll see what this spring brings, but this is very much on the table at the moment.

goal three: have another winter like this one!

16 comments:

  1. Totally understandable if you decide to sell him. But if you do, will you promise us to buy another horse that you dress up often? Or dress up friends horses, whatever, I am not picky :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to second this request.

      Delete
  2. Great goals, I love how they all center around improving the quality of your whole riding experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think those goals are great goals! Nothing wrong with selling or considering it at all. This sport is expensive and time consuming...at the end of the day we need to enjoy our partnership. Life is too short not to! Doesnt mean Bobby isnt awesome, he just may be more awesome to someone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. 2016 means business! Gotta do what you gotta do

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great goals! I also need to figure out pushing for more, I always tend to back off too much, ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope that all of your goals pan out the way you want and that 2016 is a great year for you both!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great goals! You should enjoy most rides and if you're not even particularly enjoying spending time with your partner on the great rides than I think it makes sense to consider

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your goals! Selling is tough but sometimes it leads to a better match (for all parties). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck with your goals! Can't wait to see all the great things that 2016 will bring you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here is to hoping that 2016 brings all you wanted and more!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greats goals! Looking forward to hearing about your 2016 accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coming from a place where I have debated selling a few times, I know what you mean. Do what feels right! Either way, 2016 will be fucking badass cuz youre a badass

    ReplyDelete
  13. Selling a horse that I really didn't "click" with was tough but the right thing to do for all involved. It'll be fun to see how 2016 pans out for everyone, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  14. great goals. if you figure out how to fix the drift issues please lmk bc ... well, it's a struggle. also the whole 'jumping on an open stride' thing... also good luck deciding about whether to sell or not. never an easy call to make, but i have no doubt you'll do what's best both for you and for bobby

    ReplyDelete
  15. We'll be with you every step of the way :)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.