Wednesday, November 12, 2014

A Few of my Favorite Things: Hoof Products

What better time to start up a series than when blog content is lacking? Unless you want to read about how my horse is ungodly fit and I am not. Like, not even remotely.

No, I don't want to read it either.

Instead I thought I'd share my three favorite hoof products that I use on my barefoot ponito.

i love you bitches.

First up is Hoof Heal dressing. I can get this at Tractor Supply for about $15, but it's pretty widely available. I use it a few times a week or more as needed for cracked hooves.

It. Is. Amazing.

I've never had a hoof dressing that works so effectively. Not only does it help immensely with hoof cracks, it also cleared up the start of some white line disease Bobby had going on within a few treatments.

The only downside is the smell. It's got both venice turpentine and linseed oil in it which might be two of the stinkiest hoof products on the planet. I'd almost suggest wearing gloves if you're a sloppy putter-onner like I am because the smell sticks to your hands. Well worth it though, and it's easily surpassed my love for Farrier Barrier.

I also worship Iodine spray. Obviously this shit is messy and it gets everywhere, so the spray nozzle is a must. I use it daily to coat the bottom of Bobby's hooves when he gets a little foot sore. It also clears up minor nastiness in the frog.

And finally, the number one killer of killer thrush, there's Tomorrow. It's a mastitis treatment for dry cows, but the thin tube applicator is perfect for sticking deep down into a thrush killer. Bobby had horrendous thrush that was actually making him lame and nothing I was treating him with would clear it up.

A week of daily treatment with the Tomorrow and he was sound again. Three weeks later and the thrush was one hundred percent gone. You can buy it by the box, but I bought individual tubes for a few bucks a piece at our local feed store. One tubes lasts for about five generous treatments.

I would recommend Tomorrow for anyone dealing with serious thrush. I think it's the top thrush killer I've ever dealt with, and it's super easy to use.

Do you guys use any of my top three products on your own horses? If not, what do you use?

In other hoof news, I've barely been touching Bobby's feet with the rasp because he's the soundest he's probably ever been in his hooves his entire life. I figure I shouldn't mess with a good thing so even if they're not the prettiest right now, they're functionally awesome.

The fronts:


The hinds:



25 comments:

  1. Sounds like those three work really well! You seem like you've got it all figured out. With that in mind, I have a question...
    My horse just got new shoes without pads now and his frogs are all white and crumbly... Do you have a product recommendation for that? I haven't talked to my farrier yet but you seem pretty knowledgable too :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a perfect thing to use the Iodine for!

      Delete
  2. I might have to pick up some of that hoof heal sounds like a painter's dream

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike! While I haven't used any of your favorite hoof products (yet), I'm also starting up a series while the cooler weather settles in for the long haul.

    Also, Robert's feet look great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow is magic. I looooooooove that stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His feets look great! LOVE Tomorrow. It is the best. My favorite hoof goo is Hooflex, but your Hoof Heal sounds like it might give it a run for its money...

    ReplyDelete
  6. My TBs barefoot feet are always fugly and long toed. Everyone comments on them and people recommend farriers to me all the time, but he's sounder on them ugly and long than he ever was before. I'll deal with the ugly to keep him happy!

    I use hydrogen peroxide every few days on the the bottoms of Pig's feet. I shove the bottle tip down into the cracks in his frog. It works great as a preventative for nastiness! I've had luck with the iodine, too. Except, my clothes don't like the iodine!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting you mentioned Tomorrow... Molls has never had thrush in the 13 years I've owned her and she's recently gotten it and it's lasted WEEKS. Thrust buster isn't doing a thing except dying everything purple, and my BO just mentioned a thrush treatment that was used on cows. Must be the same one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tee hee.... thrust. Silly auto correct.

      Delete
  8. I haven't even heard of these (except the iodine of course). We haven't had any major thrush or cracking issues since I've had Loki but I'll keep these in mind for possible future saves. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd never heard of using Tomorrow as thrush treatment until a week ago (seriously), but have heard NOTHING but good things about how well it works. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tomorrow is the shitz, totally. I have a couple of tubes of that stuff on hand at all times for thrush.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've heard of people using tomorrow for thrush, but I've never actually tried it (I have used it on cows for its intended purpose though!) I might try it out this winter of Maggie's frogs get really bad again...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing but a little bit of flaring on his hooves, otherwise they look great! Go Bobby!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, thanks for sharing. I am dealing with some thrush in Cosmo's frog, that i didn't even realize was there until the farrier cut away the out layer. I'll have to give Tomorrow a try

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bobby's hooves look really nice! I've never heard of those specific products, but with such a glowing review I'll have to check them out! Especially since Hemie is starting to get some little winter cracks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love hoof heal! and oddly, never mentioned much of a smell... guess i'm not very observant?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, it's so stinky! I had my grooming tote in my truck overnight before a show once and it stunk up the whole truck. Still in love with it though!

      Delete
  16. Hell yeah. His feet look AMAZING. And you hit the nail on the head with this: "even if they're not the prettiest right now, they're functionally awesome." Damn straight.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is great! Foster gets terrible thrush, and I haven't ever tried these products- will pick some up for our arsenal.

    ReplyDelete
  18. never tried, but going to check out that hoof heal! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have never heard of hoof heal, but if it helps with this obnoxious toe crack Connor has had ever since that really dry summer, I am all in.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow thank you for sharing!! I've been feeling 'meh' about thrush buster lately and Tomorrow sounds like a big asset.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Why didn't you tell me there was something better than Farrier Barrier! We are still having first year barefoot issues......

    And his feet look awesome! Nice concavity!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.