Sunday, June 15, 2014

SVC Gaming Show

I didn't even know this show was going on until early Friday afternoon when L posted on our barn's facebook page asking if anyone wanted to go with her. K and M jumped on the band wagon since the show was only thirty minutes from us, and I figured "Eh, why not?" It was $15 for the day to add on as many events as you wanted. I obviously signed up right away for keyhole, poles, and barrels, and then L convinced me to try something called handy horse.

he skipped grazing to watch the horses in the ring.

There were nearly forty people in the adult division which was just cray. When I went to the gaming show in Williamsport in May, there were only fifteen people. All of those people were also here--and I thought all of them treated their slightly nutty horses well, and both horses and riders looked liked they enjoyed and knew what they were doing--and then there were the people that crawl out of the backwoods with their skeletal, mostly lame, still dirty, rank as hell, and clearly miserable beasties. It wasn't everyone, but dang were there some riders I wouldn't let near a horse, and some horses I wouldn't take in public any day. Not to mention the absolutely absurd amount of whipping I saw going on.

ponying ranger around while waiting for his mom to arrive.

Keyhole

After a looooooong wait for all the junior and youth kids to go, and then nearly all of the adult riders to go, we finally got to go in for keyhole. Bobby had his gaming horse persona in full gear and was dancing around at the gate as we watched L go with her mare.

The ring at SVC is a lot smaller than the ring at WRC so there's not a lot of room for a leaping, flailing horse to do his thing without having to worry about tripping the timer. Instead, I just let Bobby loose from the gate which is a very good way to create a proper nutty gaming horse. If that's what you're interested in.


Again with the stupid turn! He does so well with it when I practice on the rail, but he just hasn't gotten it figured out yet out in the open. Grr. That doubtless cost us a placing, as our 11-point-something seconds was right up there with the leaders.

Handy Horse

Handy horse is in theory really easy. You run around the outside track of a set of cones, stop in a box for five seconds, and then gallop away past the timers. If your horse leaves the box, you have to start your five seconds over again.

I was feeling pretty confident Bobby would not be standing in the box. I watched riders with horses that didn't want to stand still spin their horses inside the box to keep them from leaving, and while you took the chance your horse would be facing the wrong way when the five seconds was up, at least they stayed in place. I figured that was the way we were going to go.


Bobby, however, was totally game. He came around the corner and saw the poles, and instead of slowing he picked up speed. With a very unladylike "You've gotta stop, bro!", deep seat, and hard pull on the reins, he adorably popped in and stood in place with tiny dancing feet before being allowed to pop back out.

His 24-point-something seconds was good enough for sixth.

Poles

Ah, poles. I'm going to have to see if I can get Hubby to set something us for up to practice these. This was only the second time in his life he's seen the pole pattern--the first being our last show--and he was not so great this time around.

For one, he came in staring at all his admirers along the fence. His first turn wasn't bad at all, but then he got overzealous and tried to do full flying changes between every pole. Bobby. While admirable, I did not ask for them nor were they necessary. Also, AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT. Hustle, dude!


That was a bit of a bummer, and while not terrible considering how little experience he's had with them, I think he did better last month. We finished with 33 seconds which wasn't even close to the real pairs, but still better than quite a few people.

Barrels

We skipped out on the wild lark event because the pattern looked too complicated on paper, but it actually rode pretty easily. Unfortunately, that meant a long, long, long wait of doing nothing which made Bobby's brain get a little loosey goosey. I waited until the last second to get on for barrels so I didn't have to deal with my new loco rodeo king, but he was pretty much done at that point.


Worst barrel run to date. He can even do better in our tiny indoor at home. For shame, Bobby. His last barrel wasn't bad, but the first two were just pathetic. The timer died at 20 seconds as we came around the final barrel, so I don't know what our actual time was. Not great, that's clear.

someone needs to work on their grr face.

I was so ready to go home by the time we were done. It was cold (like 50 fucking degrees in the middle of June!), no one was wearing anything heavier than a light long sleeve shirt or zip up (because, you know, it's the middle of June!), and I was bone tired. Hubby and I speed untacked Bobby, got him brushed down, and then threw him on the trailer. That was at 10:30 p.m.

We didn't leave the show grounds until 12:49 a.m.

Sunny decided he'd never been on a trailer before and he wasn't going to start that night. How did he get to the show? Oh, that's right. On the same fucking trailer. The same trailer he walked right on at the barn. The four of us tried literally everything to get him on while Hubby was forced to babysit one pissed of Bobby Magee so he didn't paw or thrash his way through my trailer. It was not a good time, and it did not have a happy ending, but I'm going to refrain from sharing those details on the blog.

Overall? Long fucking show, long fucking day/night/early morning. We've got the dressage show this Saturday, and then it will be a nice break until the rodeo on July 15th. I need a weekend dedicated entirely to napping.

14 comments:

  1. ahhhh the video of the poles is really cute... you can really see him thinking about it, lol!

    I've been there with a horse that suddenly decides they can't get on the trailer they were just on a couple of hours ago. No fun at all. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, long day, I would be exhausted.

    Love the orange boots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, Bobby is the King of all the things! :)

    Also, I love your "AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT." Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. His face in that photo is hilarious! Looks like a blast (minus the 1am departure thing)!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LMAO!
    "With a very unladylike "You've gotta stop, bro!"... "

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catch up on your ZZZ's!! Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You need an orange shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awesome that you can do that with him! I'm pretty sure if I let Beefs open up at all our dressage tests would end up looking like timed events for the next year. I'd probably still try it on him if I got the chance though :) That does sound like a really long day, but still fun.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go Bobby, go! Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh man, I'm sorry you got stuck there. That is the WORST!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really dislike open shows for the crazies that come out of the woodwork and the people that drag along their skinny as heck and/or lame horse to those types of events. Worst of all I have never seen a judge throw one of those horse and rider teams out. Ugh.

    All that aside, looks like you guys had fun! Too bad about the late night!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The video of the pole event is hysterical. What a good boy trying to do those changes. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your blog ate my first comment. Short version: Poles= funny, trailer = sorry, overall= cool

    ReplyDelete
  14. This makes me want to go to a play day here. I am not sure what your play days are like there but they are CRA CRA CRA here. So many really trashy people. Small children racing around on stallions, people of every size (larger the person the smaller the white arab). All around chaos. Yes, some good riders but still CHAOS and so much entertainment.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.