Monday, March 11, 2013

Wham, Bam, Thank You, Ma'am

If feel almost guilty that my weekend was completely uneventful. Usually when I travel, whether it's on vacation or for a holiday, I have all sorts of crazies to report. I gots nothing for you guys. Flew in, hung out at my mom's most of the day, drove home. I did have fun making my fat black Dog of Thunder do his tricks.

say you're sorry.
beg.
Since there's no epic travelling stories, I'll move right on to Robert.

Sarah put his sheet on for me Friday and Bobby celebrated by covering every inch of exposed body in mud. He was disgusting. I pulled his braids out and spent twenty minutes currying him and picking rocks out of his feet. Nothing like mud, stones, and shedding hair to celebrate the coming Spring!

Bobby had four days off, was ridden for fifteen minutes Wednesday, and then had four more days off so I figured what better way to come back into work than with a trail ride in his ultra-mild dressage bit. You did get the memo that being an 8yo means no more Baby Horsie card, right Robert? He was power walking as soon as I got on which made me second guess my bit choice as this is a horse that goes through life with the motto, "Why goes fast when you can go slow?" However, he was a perfect gentleman the entire time. I couldn't find my camera at home, so instead of boring between the ears pictures.... there's between the ears helmet cam! Yay!

Getting too excited about approaching his first gallop hill he forgot that he knows how to steer and we ran over a tree branch:


He used his butt so well coming down this hill. Usually we go down it sideways and gazing off in every direction. I was so proud of him. I then asked him to step down into the creek instead of going around the telephone pole and walking down the easy little slope into it. Bobby thought it would be a better idea if he just jumped in.


My favorite galloping hill:


Since Bobby was being such a star with hills, I thought we could finally tackle riding down the monster hill across the road. Hills terrify me, but especially this one. Bobby strolls right down it when I lead him down beside me so it's undoubtably all me. I turned Bobby down the trail and immediately leaned back and hauled on his reins. He obviously stopped. Pulling back is not the ideal for going forward. Bobby then gave me The Look. The one he shoots me when he thinks I'm being a serious ass hat. And then he made the executive decision that I should get my sorry self off his back and walk us down. Good call, dude.


We got back to the barn and I pulled his mane finally. Pulled mane and a new bit (that already got here!) for your birthday? Poor pony. I made it up to him with a few handfuls of sweet feed mixed with apples and peppermints. The vet comes out Thursday for his shots and teeth and the joints talk. Maybe a dressage ride tomorrow?

10 comments:

  1. Hahahha I love it when a horse gives you a 'do you even know what your doing?' Look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, that's exactly what it is!

      Delete
  2. The joints talk is expensive. My sympathies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I've said it before, but I'm really envious of your galloping hills. There's just so much nice, even space.

    P.S. Your dog takes begging to a whole other level with green glowing eyes. That takes skill, definitely increases effectiveness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty sure it makes food levitate directly off your plate directly into his mouth.

      Delete
  4. Love the helmet cam rides! And I wish we had nice footing on hills like that around here. All we've got is rock and more rock.

    Reddums doesn't even bother with "The Look" anymore. He just makes the executive decision that I'm an eediot and does whatever's right. Saved my butt, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we moved down here from NY we couldn't believe how rocky it was, lol! There's so much shale as the base, but we're lucky enough to be surrounded by farms that let us ride on their really nice fields.

      And I have a feeling Bobby won't give me the courtosey of The Look much longer. He's been shooting it to me pretty often this year!

      Delete
  5. I neeeeeeed a helmet cam! That looks like so much fun. I'm glad Bobby was so well behaved. The little Arab I ride would've had a heart attack!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good boy Bobby. Sounds like he has taken this big horsey thing seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like such a fun ride! I love his face when you are heading down the hill, ha.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.