Friday, March 22, 2013

Shoes!

The farrier was supposed to be out yesterday morning, but had to reschedule for today. I went out yesterday anyway to groom him and see if his replacement birthday bit fit. I ran our favorite tack ho in circles about sizing and whatnot before ultimately deciding on ordering the same size (5") but a different style--instead of rubber, plain metal with a french link. Totes worked.


Shoes went back on today. NF opted to replace the aluminum with a light steel in hopes that the bigger nails would hold the shoe more securely. If that doesn't work, he said he's going to have to go to glue ons. Delicate princess toes, I hate you. I miss my Red Pony's barefoot Mustang feet. NF also said something's got to change with turnout. BM and I discussed the options. If he can keep his fucking bell boots on that'd be ideal, but we all know how well that worked last summer (read: it didn't). Second option is to change him to a smaller, flatter paddock with one other calm turnout buddy when another boarder leaves at the end of the month. The final option that I really hope we don't have to resort to is switching him back to day turnout so he only goes out for 7hrs a day instead of 17hrs. Bell boots got coated in chili powder for tonight. Hopefully that works.

"please don't eat us, bobby!"
I put the jump saddle on for a short ride mostly so I could play with the new bit. He could have cared less about the bit or the three days he had off and spent in his stall. We tooled around at an easy w/t and then did some flying changes in the canter. They're soooo ridiculously easy when I'm in half seat with a short stirrup. They're pretty much impossible in a dressage saddle. But that's just me being broken.

Sunny's mom stopped by the arena before heading into the barn to see if we wanted to play with Sunny's new toy--a hoola hoop. Bobby was like, "Is it edible? No? Not interested." S said she'd seen the trail class at the Expo have to do a turn on the forehand with the front feet inside the hoola hoop and she wanted to teach Sunny. She tossed it in the ring for us to play with, but Bobby wasn't feeling it. He'd stick one foot in, drag it back so it caught the hoola hoop, and then drag the hoola hoop backwards. Totally missed the exercise. I got off to try it on the ground.

"stupid tricks. i'm a fancy show horse."
right bobby. sure you are.
He did manage to do it once I was off, but he didn't think it was much fun. So then I decided to just go ahead and torture him with it.

"pretty sure i hear my dinner calling me. pretty sure that means
no more stupid hoola hoop."
I bopped him on the saddle and butt with it a few times and he completely ignored me so I whipped it over his head and across the arena frisbee style. Instead of following its path, he just turned his head to look at me with his patented "You're fucking stupid, lady" look. Point well taken, Robert. Back to the barn we go.

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If by cute you mean retarded, you are spot on. ;)

      Delete
  2. Have you tried the pull on bell boots with no elastic? I use those, but can't tell from your photo with the chilli pepper what kind you have on. Love the hula hoop pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes. We have tried every kind of pull on and double lock velcro out there. He eats them like candy. Like, literally EATS them.

      Delete
  3. Love the pics. My horse rips his bell boots when he gets up from laying down... They are doing the job but don't last very long. Have you thought about that bitter spray they make for dogs? I imagine it would be horse safe too...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, haven't tried that. I've always used chili powder on his standing wraps when he has to have them on overnight and he respects that, and since it's cheap, I usually keep a bottle around.

      Delete
  4. OMG my trainer has this new TB in training that is six and has been sitting in a field for a while, with basically no training since he came off the track. But the point is that he looks EXACTLY like bobby, and has a SUPER similar personality. The best part? His names Ricky, but we call him Ricky bobby hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO we thought about dressing him up as Ricky Bobby for Halloween last year!!

      Delete
  5. "Don't eat us, Bobby!" LMAO!! I even read it in a high pitched voice. X-D I hardly ever comment on blogs, because, well, I'm an idiot and I don't, but oh jesus that line made me laugh. OK, your entire blog makes me laugh. Hope the shoes and bells stay on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you read it like that because that's how I wrote it!

      Delete
  6. lol...does he eat the petal ones too?? One by one...he loves me, he loves me not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He'll eat me, he'll eat me not...

      Delete
  7. Bummer about the turnout. Here's to hoping you don't have to keep him in overnight. What you need is a hoof whisperer, someone to communicate the necessity that his feet toughen up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Does the chili powder really work? I never would've thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fingers crossed the chilli powder works! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL Bobby is all "Toyz on my feetz yayyy!! BURNZ!!!!!"
    What a cutie pie. I played with a hoola hoop on Laz a couple of yrs ago-the real gem is when the cheap p.o.s. disconnected from a circle into a flinging plastic stick and smacked him under the chin. Of course he was chewing on it so he actually caused it to happen...

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.