Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Trot sets.

can you spot the newest battle scars?
There's nothing like sticking your horse on the crossties and finding fresh wounds on his already torn up side. The two newest members were so thin that I actually scoured his stall for a nail poking out. Nothing. So I caved and asked BM if she'd noticed anything. (The same BM who has such issues feeding my SmartPaks, though that's been remedied for the time being.) "Oh, the new bite marks? Yeah, Bennie was biting everyone as they made their way down this morning."

So....what do I do? Keep applying Blue Kote and Swat? Throw up my hands in disgust? I've already incited a barn-wide turnout scheduling change. Am I supposed to ask for another one to move one horse out of the field? And who moves? Bobby or Bennie? Bobby just stands there and takes it. He doesn't bite back, he doesn't kick out, he won't even pin his ears back. He has no sense of self-preservation. I guess I can ask BO's opinion on it tomorrow. I hate feeling like such a pain in the ass all the time.

ouch.
While I do feel bad for poor Mr Magee, he was oblivious to my ministrations to the area so after applying a healthy dose of Swat, I tacked him up anyway and we headed up to the xcountry field to begin our forrey into organized, timed trot sets.

Once, long ago, I learned all about conditioning event horses and how to carry that over into conditioning racehorses. For some reason, it seemed like a good thing to go to school for.

conditioning work started on future racer and eventer:
18 mo. old bobby!
Somewhere there's a big packet I have of how to properly work your way into trot sets and then canter sets. I will find it, I promise. But for today I made up a plan that sounded good in my head: four sets of five minutes of trot with two minute walk breaks in between, followed by a five minute canter. Bobby took it all in stride and got progressively stronger as we went through sets. By the time we did our canter, he was moving right along. You tell me, all-knowing eventing gurus. Is this a good place to start? We were both happy with it regardless.

half of the xcountry field.
I guess there's not really all that much to say about trot sets. You trot up and down hills, trying not to die of boredom, and trying to keep your horse in some semblance of a nice frame without either one of you falling on your face. I will say though that I felt fucking solid during our canter--totally balanced and in control. Take that, killer baby hills! I'm mostly not afraid of you!

eyeing up the mares who didn't bother to leave the run-in the
whole time we were in their field.

5 comments:

  1. That sucks about the turn out situation, 1 of the reasons why my horse doesn't get turned out is his aggressiveness, I'm saving everyone else the medical and maintenance issues by keeping my horse in lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Bobby! I hope for your sanity that you can work something out... I think i'd freak if I came out to Henry with battle wounds like that! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch! You are NOT a pain in the ass for speaking up to the BM about wounds like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Add this to my list of "things I hate about turnout". We're super careful and only occasionally turn out in pairs-usually horses go out alone and share a fenceline with a buddy.

    That's not practical in all situations, obviously. An aggressive horse biting everyone, though? Dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi from Italy, I'm a show-jumping rider.
    what a nice blog =)
    keep in touch: http://www.iconadeironchi.com

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.