Monday, December 5, 2016

Christmas comes to visit

Riding Bestie Sarah was up from PA first thing Friday morning with a plan of attack. We'd decided beforehand that we needed to do a good costume for Bobby because it had been too long (I mean, one week is too long, so the months since it had been last was obviously pure torture).

For our Christmas pictures this year, I'd originally thought about doing a Mr and Mrs Claus theme. I was going to get a beard and appropriate Claus outfits and everything, but then I couldn't find anything affordable practically free that I liked, so I switched that to doing Santa and an elf. There was an elf costume I was eyeing up, but I wasn't entirely sure how I was going to make it fit a horse.

Then Sarah stepped in.

great minds 

Forget Santa. Turning Bobby into a bona fide Christmas tree complete with a tree attached to him was a way better idea!

I dug through my tubs of left over Christmas shit, and then we hit up the dollar store on the way out to the barn to get even more shit. Sarah hacked and jumped Bobby while I beat Shooter (who was being such a lazy pig) before we tossed Shooter back outside and took Bobby to the back of the barn. There are a few stalls back there that are for the smaller horses/ponies that don't have sky lights over them like the other stalls do so they're darker--as in, they make lights show up better. We commandeered a stall from K who was in the process of mucking out and set up shop.


We started with the basics: two types of garland, ribbon, and a banner that was supposed to read "ho, ho, ho" but somehow only ended up with one "ho". Not sure how that happened... Sarah secured the red tree as a horn while I started wrapping lights. T was like, "I can't believe he's just standing there!" And I was all, "He thinks he's tied. Only he's just plugged in." #bobbyproblems

the tree was a little precarious

We stuck a few bows and ornaments on him and strung up the battery powered Happy Holidays light strand. The giant gold bow got plopped on, and then we were left facing how and where we were going to put the Christmas tree. K helpfully chimed in (we had quite an audience at this point), "Just put it between his ears!"

Well, duh!

kind of bummed the fake snow on his legs didn't come out clearly

We popped the cheapie side panels out, tied it down with some red ribbon, topped it with a Santa hat, and were good to go.

one lit up ho

I guess I've always taken my horses for granted because I've gotten so many comments of, "I can't believe he lets you do that!" I just...wouldn't ever expect him to not do it. But really that goes for all the horses I've owned. Maybe I just pick a good brain above everything else (god knows soundness isn't one of my strong suits). He's not Saint Bobby. He's a horse with rock solid ground manners and a foundation of trust in his owner. Don't under-sell your horse, people. Try it yourself before you assume your own horse can't or won't put up with such shenanigans.

maybe you don't feed enough cookies for your pone to tolerate this.
trainer's tip: feed cookies constantly.
Merry Christmas from Bobby!

28 comments:

  1. Holy shit, this costume is festive AF and it might be the greatest thing I've ever laid my eyes on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowza. I thought I was living on the edge with my ghetto cold hosing. I think Annie would let me attempt this but I would be way to paranoid she would somehow get loose and rip at the electric. My internal should and could debate haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would have attempted this on my own for that reason. Sarah and I were in the stall with him and there were three other people just outside where the lights were plugged in.

      Delete
  3. I was absolutely dying when I saw the pics 😂😂😂

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got a lot of glee out of this when I saw it on Instagram. It's so festive, and possibly the best Bobby dress up yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh... my... there are just no words for this... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Were those the lights that run on a battery pack? He's very festive looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The happy holiday lights were. The rest were regular lights which means he was surely seconds away from being electrocuted and probably burning the entire barn down.

      Delete
  7. This is one of the greatest things I've ever seen. I showed it to several people over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Omg. THE TREE ON HIS HEAD is the best part, roflmao

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my god. Again. This is so awesome.

    I mean, I put lots of random shit on C and he's pretty good, but I wouldn't even think of this and here you are rocking it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. BAHAHAHAHHA. This is the best thing I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmm, I really don't test Cosmo's tolerance enough. He wore a hat last year, but I clearly should be asking for more from him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So Carey and I went to a slightly underwhelming tree lighting and discussed the Bobby pictures, you should really hold a giant event and invite us all to it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I feel like I just saw my first angel!

    ReplyDelete
  14. this is amazing! I love Bobby's face.

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is one lit up, non-pony-club-approved, ho!!! Lol!!!! Way to go Bobby, you've done it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Definitely appreciative of the Christmas Tree unicorn horn!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol he is a festive ho! I like the look on his face "well I guess this is my life now"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing! Rio never would let me put weird stuff on him until he got epm. Now he's just off enough in the head to not fight with me. Jampy on the other hand likes any kind of attention. Even if it's humiliating. But I have never quite gone to this level. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.