Wednesday, December 28, 2016

2017 Goals

I thought I did a decent job last year of making goals that were specific enough to be achievable for once instead of my usual, "DON'T MAKE PEOPLE CRINGE IN STADIUM YAYYY!!"

I mean, still a worthy goal, but breaking that down into, "Don't drift directly into the right standard while approaching from a crawl" was both better defined and easier to work on. I'm hoping to continue that trend this year with a broad range of goals for both Bobby and myself.

2017 Goals

Dressage:

1. Stay present while riding at shows. I'm very guilty of dialing it in when showing. If I can get my horse somewhat relaxed, I basically quit there and stop riding. I'd like to work on riding bolder and asking Bobby for more instead of settling for the absolute bare minimum he'll give me.

2. Focus on year-end awards. I'm switching GMOs for dressage this year from WNY to CNY. I liked the staff, the organization, the facilities, and the entire vibe so much more at the CNY show I went to than the ones I showed/volunteered at for WNY. They're also a little kinder when it comes to racking up scores for year end awards, and I'd love to garner even more satin if we can swing it so I'm going to make their shows a priority.

3. Ride a Third Level test. Obviously only at a schooling show. Individually, all the pieces are installed at a basic level right now. Putting them together for an entire test is going to need a whole lotta work and polish to accomplish this by the end of show season.  

Jumping:

1. Attend at least one horse trial. Pending vet check in the spring to see if horse will get cleared to return to cross country.

2. Stay quiet on approach to the jump. Oh my goshhhhh, stop lifting my hands two to three strides out!!! Also stop over-riding with my seat once locked onto a distance. Basically just sit chilly and support with my leg.

the third or fourth year of doing these and i still get disappointed that my horse
is just straight fugly. going to try to glam him up for next year. 

14 comments:

  1. over riding with my seat is the bane of my existence ugh. Looking forward to Bobby tales in 2017!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great goals! Sitting chilly is the hardest, IMO. And Bobby is cute - I love the evolution of the halter/collar combo :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am a hand lifter too! These are great 2017 goals :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am delurking to defend Bobby. He's not fugly! He's adorkable! (Hi, I have been enjoying your blog for several weeks. :P Bobby seems like a real character.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i definitely do the 'passenger instead of pilot' thing at shows too. ugh. so annoying! and also need to focus more on year end awards! we have so many awesome orgs that i have been a member of, but totally forgot about their volunteer requirements this year, oops, so i wasn't even eligible for anything. womp womp. next year for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 2017 goal is "don't be shit". Elisa Wallace said this to me in a clinic and it was awesome. It worked. So new mantra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been using that as a goal for years so I'm glad to hear it's not just me 😂

      Delete
  7. Excellent goals! I need to be present at shows too, so ridiculous how under (my imaginary self imposed) pressure accomplishing basic tasks is about 1000x more difficult

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good bunch of goals. I will be interested to see how your Third Level debut goes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound like great things to work towards! You two overcame so much this year, I am confident you'll kill these goals!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should glam Bobby up with glitter for his confo pics

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hear ya on the dialing out at shows - I am guilty of it too!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.