Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Oh, boo hoo

Monday I rode a dressage horse. He was quiet and soft and cooperative. He was ridden in the indoor.

happy horse slobbers

Tuesday I didn't ride.

Today I rode a plow horse. A really fucking poorly trained plow horse. One prone to tantrums, unable to steer, and one that is really good at yanking your arms out. He was ridden in the outdoor.

Getting Bobby's brain switched over to flat work in the outdoor--where we primarily jump--has always been a struggle for me. I'm not talking just this summer. It's like every fucking year we have to revisit this. He goes blowing through my outside leg on circles, he doesn't think he can go in a straight line off the rail, and according to him if he's not lengthening his stride, then he shouldn't be doing anything.

So it was actually like riding a really strong plow horse that hasn't been taught the basic fundamentals of steering off your seat and leg, doesn't know what a half halt is, trots like a pogo stick, and flings his head about when asked to bend.

Welcome to riding Bobby. Aren't you all so jealous that I get to be his "partner"?

post ride plow horse slobbers--the kind where you fling it all over your face.

We did eventually come to an agreement, and we were able to end with him trotting around rhythmically on a loose rein stretched out and relaxed, but what a fucking mess getting to that point. Sometimes I just want to beat him, but I'm trying to get calm here.

Just. Stay. Calm.

Also, I am so annoyed with this mother fucking right front hoof. The deep sulcus thrush is almost entirely gone. It's looking awesome. But now the side of his frog is all rotted again.

UHSJHFKJHKJNAKNDEKJH!!!!11!!

left front: awesome frog!
right front: squishy, smelly, fuck you frog.

The whole right front just makes me a little homicidal. This is how I feel about it:

i hate you!!

Basically this was just a pointless post where I whine about how my horse is schizophrenic and I hate his feet.

To make it worth reading, I need some advice. I know horse people love nothing more than doling out their opinion on things, but sadly for you this is fairly tame. Tell me about the fit of this figure eight:

yay or nay?

That's all I've got. It's been a slow few days.

19 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Figure 8 doesn't look bad to me, but I think maybe the cavesson needs to be moved up a hole or two? As for the thrush, Fiction currently has the exact same issue in his right hind so I know how you feel :(

      Delete
  2. I'm sorry your horse gives you funny stories to write about on your blog. :( And I have no idea about the bridle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo plow horse. The figure 8 looks a tad big/low to me. Can you bump it up a hole or two on the cheek pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you expect, you taught the racehorse to drive, now he wants to be a plow horse! Sadly I know nothing about figure 8s though. So instead I'll give you my opinion on getting a Ph.D in physics. It costs a lot of money and it makes you only able to make up stuff no one understands and other Ph.D's pretend the also understand, and you can write on a blackboard.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plow horses can still be sexy beasts! But rupaul and hooves, come on, get it together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Horse people are insane. These beasts act all psychotic and try to get their feet to fall off, and yet we still spend copious amounts of time and money on them. Figure 8 looks too low to me. More homicidal scribbles needed on foot to get thrush to go away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apollo gets thrushy so easily, I spray his frogs with a diluted apple cider vinegar solution each time I pick out his hooves. It does seem to help! I'm no help on the bridle fitting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Figure 8's are so awesome. Yours is a little long in the caveson, otherwise looks good :-) If you look at the side of his face and find the point of his cheek, the part of the caveson that meets the noseband should sit right on that flat. So maybe 2-3 holes should do ya! New reader, I love it! You're hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect! Thank you! And welcome. I hope you're not easily offended. ;)

      Delete
  9. naughty plow pony... i seriously hate having to revisit the same training areas over and over and over again... good luck w the thrush

    ReplyDelete
  10. That figure eight is too big and too low...the top strap should fit right against the jaw line....the center piece high up the center of his face.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't know shit about figure-8s.

    But I love your stabby MS Paint masterpiece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to try the mad scribble approach to thrush. Looks cathartic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barefoot is definitely a big challenge at times. I spray Jazz's feet with apple cider vinegar every time whether it seems thrushy or not, and it works until I can't make it to the barn for a few days and I'm back to square one. It doesn't help that her pasture is essentially all mud whenever there's been rain, and has a big muddy pond even when it hasn't been raining.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Still, for a TB his feet look pretty good. You're doing an awesome job. Just another bump in the road! Figure 8 looks a tad bit low, but as a rope-wiggler... I don't know much. Anyway! At least you got the long and stretchy at the end. When I finally got B out into the outdoor I literally just cruised until he was ready for the flat work. Then he was a bit more accepting once he realized... Oh... It's just another ring... That I get run around in. Shit.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dude...those are the biggest TB feet I've ever seen. Mucho jellies.

    And the TBs must just be going cray as a breed. Mine are batshit lately. Feel your pain.

    As for the figure 8 I can give my opinion, but I can't guarantee its *right*. To me it looks really low and possibly poorly made. I've always fitted figure 8s WAY higher up. The "ring" or in this case, where leather meets leather, should fit right under the little bridge thingy on their face. Thats why they were made, to avoid all the facial things in a horse face and give them room to breathe while still functioning as a mechanism to prevent evasion. I love them when fitted properly. Less pressure points on teh bony structures IMO. This one looks too small/low

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best use of paint I've seen in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sprinklerbandit has an explanation on how to correctly adjust a figure 8 noseband in this post with a photo of how it should look: http://iamthesprinklerbandit.blogspot.com/2014/01/bridles-part-2-function.html

    And DUDE! Wow Bobby's hoof walls are so thick! I understand the frustration with his RF, but his feet are light years from how they looked when his shoes were first removed! :D

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.