Thursday, August 15, 2013

Product Review: Ponytails Bubbles and Bucks Shampoo

I was just about to start typing this post and the monthly testing of the sirens went off. We have a massive siren for the nuclear power plant literally across the road from our house. Longest, loudest three minutes of my life.

I received my bottle of Bubbles and Bucks Conditioning Shampoo from Hillary's contest yesterday afternoon.



First impression? So pretty. What's not to love about a classy black bottle and a shiny gold top? Second impression? I started reading the label on the back and in the very first sentence, the third word was a typo--what should have been "will" was "with". Very....strange?

Since I had already been to the barn, I used it on myself first. No. That's not weird. The shampoo itself has a runnier consistency than most, but I like that about it. I'm sure I'll like it even more when I get to the bottom of the bottle and I'm not banging it against things and shaking it upside down to get the last bit out.

I didn't feel or see much of a difference after one wash of my own hair. No surprise there, as I get out and immediately put my hair in a ponytail. However, I did almost get back in and wash it out. The smell was awful. It smells like Vicks Vapo Rub mixed with rosemary. The minty fresh smell I was expecting after reading Hillary's review was overpowering and not at all flattering.

Regardless, after Bobby got worked this morning, I put a big glob in my bath bucket and gave him a thorough scrubbing. The smell wasn't nearly as overpowering when cut down in a bucket, and BM actually walked by and commented that it smelled really good.

The shampoo washed out really easily and didn't leave any residue behind, which was nice coming off of just finishing a bottle of Microtek that takes forever to get all the suds out. Bobby sun-dried and I brushed him off afterwards. He had a soft, fluffy post-bath coat that didn't feel dried out.

Overall, I probably won't be replacing this bottle with another when it's done. I have a solid dark bay horse so I don't have to be picky about what shampoo he gets. As it is, I usually pick shampoo out by its smell, and the Bucks and Bubbles was not a pleasant odeur.

13 comments:

  1. Disappointing. I had an experience using a very expensive shampoo sample my grandmother gave me that totally reeked, washed my hair like 8 times trying to get the smell out and it wouldn't. Totally awful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you didn't love the shampoo. Glad that it at least works out for bobby though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still very grateful for the giveaway!

      Delete
  3. Hmmmm I am a big smell person too when picking my shampoos. Not sure I am as eager to try this stuff now.

    Thanks for the honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I'm sure I'll like it even more when I get to the bottom of the bottle and I'm not banging it against things and shaking it upside down to get the last bit out."

    This is my life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Put water into mostly empty shampoo bottle.

    Shake.

    Voila!

    The shampoo comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny how much smell has to do with how we like stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahah, my favorite shampoo is yellowout by cowboy magic. It doesn't do a damn thing for the yellow mare stains my horse has, but her white socks literally GLOW after I use it. Like, ahal teke (sp?) status.

    Downside?
    It smells like urinal cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I would be willing to sacrifice shiny white socks to not smell urinal cakes!

      Delete
  8. Love your honesty! Great packaging though.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for an honest review :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.