Thursday, October 6, 2016

Moving On

Thank you guys all so much for your comments, sympathy, and shared experiences on my last post. I don't drink, but I assure you I've been diligently eating my feelings away. Honestly I still don't feel particularly upset about the diagnosis, but I'm not one to pass up the chance to use a sad situation as an excuse to sit down and eat an entire package of Oreos by myself.

just the starting point, i promise.

I've been doing a lot of reading about treatments (shoeing and OsPhos mainly), but from the moment the word "navicular" left the vet's mouth, I'd already moved right along to planning what I wanted to work on with my dressage this winter. I'm not one to dwell on negativity, and nothing helps feeling positive like a good plan of action. Bobby needs to be more supple and for fuck's sake does he need to work on bending more. Is it wrong to be excited to get back to serpentines?

ten minutes of walk, here we come!!

The vet gave me permission to walk away, so yesterday I threw a bridle on Bobby and jumped on bareback. He hadn't been ridden in about a month, but it never even crossed my mind that he'd be naughty. He waited patiently while I climbed up, and then with happy ears trudged around the ring slightly gimpy but light and on the bit without any fuss. I'm so glad we've progressed at least this far as I'm more concerned about what an extended riding break would do to his hind end than anything that could go on with his feet.

don't you lose a single muscle back there, bessie.

Lest you think I'm completely irresponsible and have dropped the ball on actually doing anything productive to combat his lameness....

Well, actually you're mostly right. Turns out Farrier is pretty much the shit with navicular horses and has attacked Bobby's case full force, so I've basically relinquished control of my checkbook and stand there nodding politely as she expounds upon treatment plans.

bobby literally fell asleep yesterday as she
discussed what she'd like to do.

Farrier hadn't seen the x-rays yet yesterday when she was out, but she'd talked with the vet and had already come up with a couple things she wanted to try. The initial plan was to do the three degree wedges possibly with a bar. Nailing into the RF wasn't going to be a problem, but she was concerned with how hard it was to nail his flat shoe on the LF last week. Gluing a shoe onto that foot was thrown around, but she wanted to talk to a colleague before ordering anything.

waiting for farrier to finish shoeing ralph before
measuring bobby's feeties.

This morning she surprised me by swinging in on her way by to check on Bobby. We were just finishing up our ten minutes of super exciting suppling exercises and he was already feeling a lot more comfortable at the walk. I'd also packed his foot yesterday so maybe that helped a titch.

I hopped off and took him out to the aisle so she could elevate his foot to see what degree wedge he might like, but true to Bobby form he just stood there stoically, drooling copiously and trying to play with the cat.

so. much. drool.

She showed me a couple options for shoes she'd brought along. One was an aluminum wedge that she was favoring except then she'd have to try to nail it on. We're still probably leaning towards doing a cycle of glue-ons to get him enough foot to comfortably nail on the aluminum, but we're going to send the x-rays to another vet to get a second opinion.

Why? Because Farrier looked at them last night and didn't agree with the vet.

Farrier doesn't think the LF is as bad as Vet made it out to sound at all, and while still undoubtedly navicular, she's feeling optimistic that shoeing alone is going to get him to a really good spot. However, she didn't like the look of the RF which the vet was happy with. I'm inclined to trust a farrier more in hoof health than a vet, especially a farrier with navicular experience, but I am interested to see what this other, highly recommend vet has to say.

So we shall see how this all plays out. It's going to be a dressage filled winter regardless, but who knows what next spring will hold.

26 comments:

  1. I'd definitely be inclined to trust the farrier, but I'm super glad it sounds she's involved and confident. You're much more stoic than I'd be, but keep in mind I just about had a heart attack over my mare's abscess this week.... hahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you trust your farrier a whole ton I definitely recommend going their route. Carlos was sound for so long thanks to how well my farrier shod and supported each foot as an individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for a kickass farrier and an entire box of oreos and a plan. Fwiw (might be nothing), I trust farriers way more than vets with foot issues. Provided you have a good farrier. I don't trust bad farriers at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It never hurts to get a second opinion. Sounds like you have a great plan to move forward with. Sending happy hoof thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good support system is invaluable, and it sounds like you've got it in spades! Hopefully shoeing with help bring Bobby back to feeling 100% soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you've got good people helping with this.
    And I'll let Cosmo know Bobby is giving him a run for his money in the drool department.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go Team Knowledge! Great support system it sounds like!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tend to trust the farrier more with foot matters too. Lots of experience concentrated in that department...

    You sound very calm - that chocolate concoction must have helped?! Sending good thoughts for Mr. Magee.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your attitude. Irish is in aluminum wedge shoes and does very well (his are for his low heel)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankfully you have an awesome team to get Bobby feeling better! And chocolate. That always helps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your farrier sounds AWESOME. It is so great to have experienced professionals that you trust with your precious beastie. Also, that Oreo deliciousness is definitely key in your calm, cool and collected mental game. Snack on, sistah.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It sounds like you have a wonderful plan to attack this all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your farrier sounds like a badass. Also Aluminum wedges were AMAZING for my mare when she did her DDFT (with similar long weak pastern problems, yay TBs). Our less skilled farrier had her in steel shoes with wedge pads, but the thrush, it abounded. Our magic farrier (who re-retired shortly after performing miracles) did a hot shoe inprint, so to speak, and then did the aluminum wedges, and they were so much easier on her feet. And they stayed on, vs getting stepped off and taking all of the remaining hoof with them like the steel shoe plus pad combo.

    Also chocolate is a necessity. Chocolate loves you. Chocolate is there for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ping me if you need another opinion from a vet experience with navicular. Glad you've got a great farrier on board... SO important!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your farrier sounds awesome. It's so good to have experienced professionals on board. :) Also, fun fact: Oreos are vegan. So healthy? Sort of? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had similar issues in vet to farrier contact (even though mine isn't navicular). I went with my farrier's side of things. Sure, my horse is now in princess shoes 24/7 but maybe he will stay sound.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it's important to get another opinion...and have the vet/farrier on the same page on treatment.

    Good thing is that it sounds like the farrier is happier than a pig in mud about exploring options.

    I have known a couple people that have also used Osphos with a good deal of success if that ends up being an option.

    And dressage never hurt anyone ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll leave this here because I find this super interesting...mostly I think it highlights how much we still don't understand navicular (so don't lose hope!).
    http://www.doctorramey.com/the-persistence-of-memory-or-whaddaya-mean-i-dont-have-to-give-my-horse-isoxsuprine-for-his-navicular/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ordered his book on navicular yesterday! Hoping to at least educate myself enough so that I can do more than nod along with everyone when they talk to me. :P

      Delete
    2. He's very down to earth and focuses heavily on evidence based medicine. Lots of good information.

      Delete
  19. Osphos is my jam. And yeah, my farrier is the one who was like "she looks navicular, let's put her in wedges" and the next day her leg was no longer blown up to her knee. Yay good farriers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So great that you've got a great team working with you! Fingers crossed (and toes!) for you and Bobby!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Somehow my phone wouldnt let me comment on your last post but here I am now!! Wanted to say UGH that SUCKS about the navicular :( :( :( Your farrier sounds like the shit though and it sounds like you guys have it under control! Here's hoping there's still a little jumping in Bobby's future, but either way at least he can still keep rocking the fancy! I'm basically a blogging ghost now I'm enjoying following you on IG and seeing what's up!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You guys continue to be very much on my mind. Interesting that the farrier had such different opinions than the vet too. For the record, a horse at Isabel's barn was diagnosed with navicular and had a number of false starts in treatment by various parties bc apparently each horse is a unique snowflake. But once they figured out the right approach for this mare she has been sound and never looked back. Fingers crossed it's similar for you two!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Navicular is a word that chills, but I'm glad that you are able to change your goals for Bobby & just move forward with such a positive attitude.
    I have always enjoyed 'Dress Up Bobby' days & his colourful personality; I look forward to reading about him for a long time to come.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm always one for a good second (or third) opinion. Can't have too much info!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.