Friday, October 6, 2017

One last celebration

Riding Bestie wrote this poem for me the other night:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I fucking hate horses
I wish you drank vodka, too

sarah is #judgingyou for your treat whoreness, bobby.

Riding Bestie came up to say goodbye to Bobby and help me torture him with one last photo shoot. It only involved one ugly crying moment for which I am very proud of us.

bobby says, "torture? i got to hang out and have fun while we tortured these puppers!"

I want to thank everyone who contributed to the care package for Bobby and I, as Bobby ate the entire bag of German Horse Cookies in the space of about fifteen minutes and was very upset when they were gone.

"but i don't want those stupid apple nuggets, i want the fancy cookies!"

And, of course, just a giant thank you to everyone who has commented or simply read along over the past several years. Most of you guys never got to know my original heart horse, Red. Bobby has been the star of the blog for so long and has expanded my horse community horizons so much that it feels like I'm losing part of my identity.

so many memories, and probably just as many shows where we fucked things
up and didn't come home with anything. 

Despite Bobby's unwavering joie de vivre, there's no doubt in my mind it's his time no matter how unfair it is. His coronary band is getting worse by the day--it's practically crumbling apart at this point--and I can tell he's starting to get bored living in his stall even with the never-ending treat supply. He's going to go out while he's happy, and his pain is being managed, and never knowing how truly awful his situation is.

who knew barking dogs locked in cars were the key to his posing all along?

There will be another horse, and the blog will continue. However, I don't want to make the same mistake and rush into another horse and end up resenting them for the first year like I did with Bobby when Red died. Horses actually cost real money, a concept I am most unfamiliar with having gotten all of my horses over the years with a combined purchase price of less than $1,500. Once these final two vet bills are paid off I'll start saving and see what shows up on my radar....you know, for around $0.

the only bad part about all these ribbons is having to hang them back up in chronological
order because that's how i roll. 

In the meantime, Bobby will be spending his weekend getting every single food item he can possibly want stuffed down his throat, and on Sunday I'll turn him out in the indoor over night with his bestie so he can have one last rumpus epic rollies fest. He's given me the gift of being the kindest, most patient horse throughout this whole process. I want to repay him by letting him do whatever the fuck he wants with a side order of ten thousand pounds of carrots.

and check with the local tack store to see if they carry fancy cookies

51 comments:

  1. That ribbon photo though -- classic Bobby. Thinking of you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And now I'm ugly crying... Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These photos are wonderful. Sending big hugs to you and Mr. Magee <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. As absolutely and utterly awful as this whole situation is, I love this photoshoot and think it's adorable. So much love and hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a tremendously crappy piece of luck for such a cool horse. I'm really sorry.
    (Love that ribbon photo - you cant even see his face!!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad Riding Bestie was able to visit, and you had a classic photo shoot as well. That's an impressive amount of satin given his history (and you only get one ribbon at most from an event versus an armload from other shows). Thank you for sharing Moose Horse with us one more time, and for taking the very best care of him. Many, many internet hugs to you both.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love Bobby covered in satin. I've fallen a bit in love with Bobby after having followed PWS over the years. I'm glad you can offer him the kindness of letting him go while he's still a happy goofball. I hope he eats a mountain of treats; I'll never forget the story of MightyBobbyMagee. <3

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo shoot is truly epic. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. <3 <3 <3 bobby in all his glory

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Bobby, your Tiarra will be hard to fill. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bobby, you have a truly amazing horse mom and are so loved.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry. He looks happy though. And all those ribbons are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I laughed out loud at the ribbon picture. Classy <3

    ReplyDelete
  14. His painting is still probably my favorite I've done. He's just the best. And so are you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a happy and sad blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm glad it's Saturday, so I can ugly cry in the privacy of my own home. I'm so sorry Carly.. I love these pictures, but dammit I'm so sad for you and Bobby. *internet hugs x a million*

    ReplyDelete
  17. I shall join the ugly snot cry fest....Bobbs looks so happy to be with his best friend. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are the best ribbon pictures I have ever seen.

    Love to you and Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an epic farewell photo shoot. It's beautiful. I am so sorry. It sounds like you've given him a fantastic week, and I'm ugly crying for you. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that you're able to do this, and I love the photo shoot with puppers. Lots of love and hugs from a lurker.

    ReplyDelete
  21. <3 Now I'm ugly crying too. Bobby has been a joy to follow along and I'm going to miss him from afar. Also, that is a magnificent ribbon picture!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gosh, I mean I know you know we have similar connections and stories and that's how I feel tied to you in so many ways. I wish you all the best, I'll always be here. And I'm so happy that you've had one last celebration.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I may be ugly crying too as I'm reading this. Sending lots of hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I hope your weekend with him is sweet. They live in the moment thankfully and you're giving him such wonderful ones. My heart is broken for you but happy there's so much love coming your way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bobby, eat all the treats buddy. you deserve them, and all the vodka for humans... *sniff*

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sending some love you and Bobby's way this weekend and tomorrow. Love the pictures, and thank you for letting us follow along with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm so sorry you and Bobby are going through this.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Sending so much love to you and Bobby ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  29. that ribbon picture is epic. enjoy him.

    ReplyDelete
  30. <3 A lucky horse and human to have been a part of each other's lives. And we were all lucky to follow along on the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  31. sending so much love to you and ugly crying at my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thinking of you and Bobby today, while also trying to get some work done. Guess which one is winning. I do hope Bobby enjoyed his rolly rumpus last night.
    Not just one in a million- he was an original, one of a kind. Be gentle with yourself for as long as you need.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I guess one of the benefits of working from home right now is I can cry over your blog at peace without my coworkers watching. I love Bobby and you and these pictures and thinking of you today.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh, I'm so so sad that your journey ends this way. I have loved reading about your journey with Bobby and I think of you guys whenever I'm tempted to curse wearing a helmet cam. But on a serious note, I hope you find some peace after today and whenever you're ready to start another journey with another horse, we'll be there for you too.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Thinking of you and Bobby today and wishing you peace.

    ReplyDelete
  36. :( Goodbye Bobby! You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
  37. What a great way to go out. Bobby, you will be missed by so many people you don't even know. Carly, we're here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  38. I've been thinking about you and Bobby all day. What a wonderful last weekend he had. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  39. There will never be another Bobby. What a horse! <3

    ReplyDelete
  40. This is nothing short of heartbreaking but I am so glad he got such an amazing send off

    ReplyDelete
  41. I hate that you had to write this post. I hate all that's happened to you guys. But I love your strength and resolve. I'm glad you got to spend some time spoiling him and giving him the absolute best send off.
    </3

    ReplyDelete
  42. Words can't express. I am incredibly, terribly, tragically, heartbroken for you. I read this at work and ugly cried. My thoughts are with you and Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I was away so I just found out, I am so so so sorry. I am so glad you were able to give Bobby a fantastic send off with as many treats as he could possibly consume and a roll fest to challenge all roll fests ever presented. Goodbye Bobby, you will be missed by Carly and many, many, many internet people who never met you.

    ReplyDelete
  44. My thoughts are with you. I am so sorry you have gone through all this

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.