Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Everything is exhausting

I've known from Ride One that Opie errs on the side of "When in doubt, just quit." Really, I'm not sure why he wasn't a more successful racehorse!

He was primed to race last Monday which instead turned into his first ride off the track. Aside from not being able to stand still at the mounting block, he walked and trotted both directions without any issues whatsoever. Not once did I fear he was going to snatch the bit and make a run for it. In fact, by the end of the ride I was having to leg him on to get him to walk faster than a slug.

I also learned right away that this is a horse that loves his sleepy time. The first morning he was here, he was covered head-to-toe in shavings from a good snooze in his stall overnight.

grand champion of sleeping.

Yesterday morning, A texted me that Opie had pulled both his water buckets from the wall (who knows how) and dumped them all over his stall, flooding it. Obviously he couldn't snuggle in and sleep in a swimming pool.

I got his stall stripped and dried before taking him into the ring for a little longe work. I couldn't find a longe whip anywhere, but he has a pretty clear idea of what longeing is so we got w/t done both directions before I started taking him over a couple small verticals I set up with flower boxes underneath. He happily popped right over every time, finally learning by the end that he wouldn't whack his footsies if he just lifted them a little higher.


All in all it was about fifteen total minutes of work. I pulled the bridle off and let him loose so I could go grab him one of his friends. Everyone was inside because of obscene winds, so I wanted him to get a little extra time out of his stall.

Ralph strolled right over to the filled hay nets and got to work stuffing his face. Opie sidled up as close to Ralph as he could and lay down. I was like, "Um. Whut. What are you doing? Are you dying? Are you colicking? What is this?"

ralph is judging you so hard, opie

Nope. Opie got settled in, Ralph gave him side eye for trying to lay under his feet and moved on to the next hay net, and Opie...passed the fuck out. Lip drooped to the ground, snoot buried in the sand, mule ears twitching away.

Horsing is hard, yo.

he tried to bite me shortly after this.
do not disturb. apparently.

45 comments:

  1. Omg this makes me laugh so much! What crazy confidence he has to just plop down like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously thought he was dying because there was no way he'd just flop down right in front of me to sleep. Lesson learned!

      Delete
  2. Teenagers gotta sleep yo! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a character. Sleep is so important yo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. He has an agenda, and clearly you're disturbing it. Love him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a crazy boy. Seriously--get a halter on that thing! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I nearly had to lasso him to wrangle him down! 😂

      Delete
  6. He's sooooo exhausted, stop being a mean mom and let him sleep! 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was absurd. Like, I have other things I need to do today, snoot!

      Delete
  7. Beauty rest is SUPER important, yo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gotta make sure that snoot is looking its best at all times.

      Delete
  8. Haha he has his priorities straight for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Omg he is so cute I can't stand it! But for real, naps are everything.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Opie is me. I am Opie. Livin the life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I seriously don't know how he even made it to four on the track without just falling asleep in the middle of a race

      Delete
  11. He's adorable. I'm with him, anyplace is a good place for a nap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even under the feet of your fat friend!

      Delete
  12. That’s the cutest thing! Big sleepy baby Horse 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He definitely earns his keep with the cute card!

      Delete
  13. He is SO stinking cute. I am dying! What a personality!!

    <3 Kelly @ HunkyHanoverian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't take long to settle in, that's for sure.

      Delete
  14. he can come sleep in my backyard anytime. Love!

    He is even cute laying down giving you the stink eye (or the other horse) :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He didn't want the paparazzi interrupting his sleepy time!

      Delete
  15. Bahaha, what a confident little dork. Sleep is srs business, don'cha'know!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The most serious business in all the land!

      Delete
  16. Omg. What a personality. I love him!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Apparently he takes his naps VERY seriously!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope he learns to take his work as seriously as he takes his naps!

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.