Monday, September 18, 2017

Skinny Problems

Let's clarify right of the bat that being skinny is not a problem Bobby and I are currently having. #ifonly

Our skinny troubles are more along the lines of this:

you fucker.

Bobby is not a stopper, he's more of a run out-er, only his run outs are more along the lines of, "I'm jumping the thing! The thing just might actually be air instead of the actual thing I should be going over."

Overall he's a pretty honest dude when it comes to jumping though, and we haven't had much practice with skinnies so I put Hubby to work this weekend building me one to practice over. Not that we really event anymore because I hate all things eventing up here, but what's more fun than having real cross country jumps in your horse's back yard?

clearly he was as excited as i was

We ended up making it only 2'7" tall since its 4'3" width and 4'6" length gave it plenty of technicality while still being jumpable for other people in the barn. A couple pieces of conduit pipe gave us our "flags" to help channel one Bobby Magee through, and off it went to the barn. I ended up putting it in one of the back fields off a nice curve from another jump since BM is making a couple other legit jumps and I didn't want everything fun stuck in the front field.

After a brief shower to cool Bobby down this morning as the humidity is atrocious today, we started in the indoor with a single on the diagonal and a skinny bending line. We haven't jumped in a few weeks, but Bobby was on his game while still being completely reasonable. It's amazing what all that dressage work does. He picks up the most perfect canter....and then just holds it. Magic!

We had zero issues with any of the jumps so after fifteen minutes we struck out for the back field.


He wanted to blast over the logs, but listened to me and kept his shit together. As soon as we made the turn, he locked right on to the skinny and never gave me a second's hesitation. I popped him on the shoulder anyway because it made me feel better so he jumped it like it was 4' high, but perfect canter, perfect distance, easy peasy.

Hopefully our days of falling over because he tries to sneak out at the last second are over.

unnecessary, sir. 

42 comments:

  1. omg i love that jump!! skinnies are hard, yo. our jump trainer FINALLY pulled out the skinny shark's tooth stadium jump in this past weekend's lesson. naturally sir charlies was le lame for that lesson so i could only watch from the sidelines.... but sooooooon!!! awesome that bobby just locked on and powered over it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day soon Charlie will join in the skinny domination too!

      Delete
  2. On one hand I'm really glad you have your own skinny and that's he's fab over it, but OTOH I'm kind of sad that we won't have any more pics like the last one because it's basically GOLD.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous you have a hubby that can build things.
    That came out awesome, and seems like Bobby likes it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It only took him a trillion years to get around to it, but it was worth it.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It was actually really quick and easy to make!

      Delete
  5. Bacon still hasn't figured out that you can go around anything yet, so I'm pretty excited about that. Your hubs did a most excellent job! He should be more proud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he was most proud of finishing so I would leave him alone. :P

      Delete
  6. That jump looks awesome. We need to make some more jumps for ourselves. It looks bigger than 2'7" to me, but that's probably just cause I'm a wimp.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look tall! We were originally going to make it 3' but it looked bigger than anyone at the barn would jump and I wanted something more than just myself would enjoy.

      Delete
  7. Totally wicked new jump! Looks like a blast

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely on the list of pros if I ever contemplate getting married 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Top of the list of requirements: Must be able to build jumps. 😂

      Delete
    2. Also, has Truck is a helpful one too ;) my hubbys f250 diesel stole my heart pretty quick.

      Delete
    3. Or buys you a truck and trailer and then teaches you to drive it solo. Swoon!

      Delete
  9. That last pic though.... Congrats on finally getting some good skinny jumps! I love jumping skinnies and angles, I really hope I can get myself a good skinny soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Whoo hoo hubby and Bobby! And btw, hubby is pretty cute and can build things! For the win! (mine is too, BTW, high five)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's not the worst hubby out there, that's for sure!

      Delete
  11. That last picture Carly... I'm dying

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is a lovely jump. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My boy has the same issue. He never stops, but runs out on a skinny for sure if it doesn't have standards or something similar framing it up. Even if I channel him with v poles he will start to go over but tuck sideways and half jump the pole on his way out. Your jump is really nice, might just have to make something similar. I have a ton of reclaimed wood that will be turned into xc jumps once I get moved in a couple weeks and have somewhere to set them up. You and Bobby are totally rockin' it out there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby is the same way with the v poles on skinnies. He'd rather leap sideways over the poles if he doesn't feel like going over than just go straight. The "flags" seem to channel him through much better.

      Delete
  14. That is a really nice looking fence! Are you sure hubby doesn't aspire to be a course builder?? I'm impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He used to build jumps in high school for a guy that ran horse trials. Don't even get him started on all the xc courses he's going to build. It took a month just to get this done.

      Delete
  15. So fun to have this right in your backyard! Brownie points to hubby for building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No such thing as too many jumps around.

      Delete
  16. Sweet jump!! I need to be less of a wuss, cause I feel like my husband would rock at jump building. I'll have to show this to him. And maybe grow a pair, in my spare time? hahah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa your hubby is so talented! What an awesome skinny, and how cool to be able to practice like that!

    <3 Kelly @ HunkyHanoverian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to get over it some more!

      Delete
  18. I like it when my skinnies have standards, and I'm not talking about the moral or societal kind. ;)

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.