Thursday, September 28, 2017

New Vocabulary

Usually when people see Bobby's leg and foot we get "weird" as the response. The farrier Farrier brought in, Other Farrier (OF), coined it "remarkable".

Which, like, I could do without, but it did make me laugh.

I wanted to give a quick update on how Bobby is doing and how the consult with OF went mostly so I have everything in one place to go back to.

team farrier trying to make some magic happen

Bobby was doing worse this morning. Without even seeing him go I could tell he was not feeling okay. He's the perkiest creature on the planet, and this morning he just looked flat out despondent. I turned him out in the indoor to see if he wanted to walk around a bit, but he just rolled and stood there staring at me until I put him back in his stall while we waited for Farrier to arrive.

OF poked and prodded first thing then took a look through all the rads we did last month while Farrier and I filled him in on all the details of the last six months.

"What did Vet say about it?"
"She told me to send him to Cornell because she was out of ideas."
"And what did Cornell say?"
"They gave me a bunch of steroids because they didn't know what to do with it."
"Have you tried--"
"WE HAVE TRIED ALL THE THINGS IN THE LAND EXCEPT STEROIDS, ASK ME AND I HAVE TRIED IT."

favorite activity: stalking kitties

Basically what everything came down to is that OF felt strongly that Bobby is pre-laminitic in both front feet. Probably the acute lameness in the RF in that area I was suspicious of is an abscess resultant of the oncoming founder as Farrier suspected.

He thought of the bulging coronary band as an event line, saying that it's resultant of trauma and if it was viable tissue still it would be weeping blood and/or pus, but since it's not it's unlikely any vascular activity is getting to it. Likely the swelling was from a gas pocket and he could still try to brew up an abscess in it. He thought that underneath it Bobby could be growing a new coronary band, and once the bulging mess on top gets ahold of itself better, Farrier could start rasping it off and we'd see something significantly healthier underneath. Farrier seemed dubious about this theory, but I thought it was pretty interesting. Not sure I believe it, but interesting nonetheless.

He wanted Bobby to trim down significantly as he felt he was carrying way too much weight and not enough muscle. I was slightly perplexed by this as no one has ever accused Bobby of being fat--in fact they're usually asking what I feed him to imply it's not enough. And, you know, he's a pretty solid as shit Second level horse. He hasn't been worked like a beast lately, but he's not some flabby, floppy retiree.

The idea was basically that less weight on his feet is better, and obviously no sugar so we cut his grain completely.

And no snacks. Because this farrier is a SAVAGE. #wouldratherhavecancerthannosnacks

Multiple attempts of setting Bobby up with various pads and glue-ons were highly unsuccessful as he couldn't get comfortable with anything. He needs sole support for the founder, but he doesn't like any sole pressure because of the navicular. They finally just taped his giant pad back on and set the ground rules:

  • No more grain.
  • No more alfalfa.
  • No more snacks.
  • No more grass.
  • No more turnout unless it's in the sand indoor, and only if he wants to leave his stall. No forcing him into turnout. 
  • Check pulses and temperature daily. Full blown founder is the biggest threat right now, but there's still the threat of detachment. 
Overall he thought that the internal structures of his foot looked good. In fact, everything below the coronary band looked pretty okay. He thought Farrier was doing a good job working with what we have. Hopefully the diet change halts laminitis at X and they'll be able to reassess to see what type of shoeing and padding he needs. He felt confident there was more to be done to get him back to work for awhile longer yet. 

I don't know if I feel any better because I still feel very doubtful this is something we can fix without dragging my horse through months of pain which I absolutely won't do, but I do like having a solid plan of attack. Regular Vet is on vacation all next week, but the vet office assured me she'd kept everyone up to date on Bobby's medical marvels so I'm going to have a different vet out on Monday so that they have a baseline in case things go south in a hurry. 


Very importantly in the meantime, what's everyone's favorite sugar-free snacks? Bobby cannot go without snacks, dudes. Unacceptable.

51 comments:

  1. Your courage and resilience is inspiring. Not sure if carrots count as sugar free but it is Irish's favourite. And my dogs #horsedogproblems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby's fave snack is carrots but I've heard mixed reviews on the sugar so I'll wait for Monday to ask the vet.

      Delete
  2. Poor Bobby. Diets are the worst. I know because I can't do them.
    This is all so stressful for you and for Bobby, and I hope you get him comfortable soon. I like the idea of him having more sound days ahead, so let's hold on to that for a little bit and think positively!
    I bet you could find some delicious cookie recipe and make it with truvia or splenda instead of sugar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think bobby and I both feel like we'd rather lose limbs than diet. Just the worst.

      Delete
  3. No snacks?!
    Maybe these?:

    https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/withers-and-withers-insulin-resistant-horse-treats-8282

    Those look gross but it would be something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used these with Katai for awhile and LOVED them. They're small and very much like candy. I used to actually snack on them :)

      Delete
    2. Nice! I'll put them on the snack list!

      Delete
  4. I like plans. Plans are good. You and Bobby are so very much in my thoughts tho :(

    Alli is a great resource for all things snax-for-the-horse-who-can't-snack. Pretty sure Dino chows down on roasted peanuts but I'm sure she's got other ideas too. Good luck Carly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plans make me feel better even if they're shot in the dark plans.

      Delete
  5. OH HAVE I GOT SNACKS FOR YOU. Roasted, un-salted peanuts in the shell are Dino's fave and the cheapest go-to. If you want commercially made cookies, Beet-E-Bites are like pony crack and made with un-sweetened plain beet pulp and peppermint oil. Dino will do backflips for those things. Celery is also an option, but D wasn't a fan of that, so YMMV. Black oil sunflower seeds (like the kind you feed to birds) are also tasty and safe, but kind of annoying to feed. Watermelon is also, shockingly, a 'safe' snack (it's legit water and fiber). Been thinking of you guys and hoping that the next step, whatever it is, is made abundantly clear for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. More Ughs. Poor Bobby. I'm glad there is a plan, I survive on plans as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for sugar free goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's such a treat snob, I need all the ideas I can get!

      Delete
  7. More Ughs. Poor Bobby. I'm glad there is a plan, I survive on plans as well. I'll keep my eyes peeled for sugar free goodness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh this sucks. I have been through several horses foundering and it is not fun or good. They do want them thin - like super thin. I hate it. Can you get rads of his feet to see what's happening inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vet will probably take new ones Monday.

      Delete
  9. Nooo Bobby definitely needs snacks. What are his feelings on ice cubes? We had a dog who was basically allergic to life itself and we convinced him ice cubes were the BESTSNACKEVER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He does love him some ice cubes on a hot day but i don't know if he'll eat them any other time. Will give it a try though!

      Delete
  10. Celery & almonds are my go-to sugar free horse treats :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I'll try almonds. I'm hesitant to buy celery because if he doesn't like it I don't think anyone else will eat it. All the rejects so far I can just pass on to Hubby. :P

      Delete
  11. I feed peppermint Tums - but not sure if they have sugar in them? Anyhoo, really admire how you are handling all this with the Bobber. Hoping he pulls through this episode!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, peppermint tums are on Bobby's list of "I was madly in love with these one time for five seconds and now I refuse to acknowledge their existence." Because Bobby.

      Delete
  12. Just read your last two posts... crap :-( I hope Bobby turns around again soon! As for more snack ideas, I think they make sugar free peppermints.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Urgh. You're a good horseman and you'll make good choices and I believe in you and I have 1/3 been there and my heart hurts for you. No easy answers, no obvious choices.

    I'll share my cheetos?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will take all the cheetos you're willing to share.

      Delete
  14. Don't know if anyone has shared this site yet, and I imagine you're completely saturated with research, but just in case - Dr. Kellon's ECIR Group is a fantastic resource for laminitis / cushings / metabolic syndrome issues...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know next to nothing about laminitis so I'll take all the reading material I can get!

      Delete
  15. I hope you find a suitable snack, snacks are life! And that he gets the green light for turnout soon too 💙

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew there were so many sugar-free snacks! I need to go on a laminitis diet!

      Delete
  16. Hugs. Because Alli already gave some awesome snack ideas, and there's some good resources listed,and if Cornell can't figure him out, I'm not of any use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cornell wasn't of any use either, don't worry. ;)

      Delete
  17. Looks like you got plenty of good snack advice, so I'll just drop in to add well wishes. Pulling for you guys. Glad other farrier had some thoughts and hopefully this new plan of attack helps Bobby pull off another miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Agreed. Bobby NEEDS snacks. Also you need snacks, so I hope you're getting them, too. ❤
    Pig likes green beans, which is weird, but maybe worth a try. Though maybe still too much sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ah Bobby. I agree with the snacks people have mentioned. When Winston had laminitis he was only allowed 3 soaked flakes of hay a day. We luckily did not have to see him in too much pain since he received the Laminil treatment. Maybe check with your vet to see if it is available for Bobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll definitely ask the vet about it!

      Delete
  20. I'm sorry it's going so poorly. Could he have diabetic/sugar free candies like they sell at the grocery store? I think I've seen peppermints before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't find them ANYWHERE around here! Thank god for amazon.

      Delete
  21. Good luck. Hopefully you can get him pain-free soon.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I feel ya, Bobby, diets are the WORST.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Definitely go with peanuts in the shell. Cheap and also handy if you're hungry... although I'd recommend skipping the shell ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby thought they were great until mid-chew when he spit them all over me. Whatever, diva, someone else will eat them.

      Delete
  24. I saw the title of the last post and my heart dropped :( I hate that "you're not being an ass, oh god are you dying" feeling. Plans are good though! Obviously when I avoided doing work by looking through All The Cookies on smartpak the sugar-free ones were all ones my jerk rejected... but it sounds like you have some good suggestions in that department at least!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wonder if he'd like sugar free yogurt? Dunno if horses can have that or not, but if it's a small amount, maybe it'd be cool?

    If you really wanna torment him (because why not, right?) try celery!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so sorry for all that Bobby & you are going through. I have a horse who can't get enough plain Shreddies for treats.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.