Monday, May 15, 2017

Vet Findings

In short: the vet found nothing conclusive but a new injury in the opposite leg.

can't stay out of trouble to save his life.

It's kind of become a running joke that every time I call Vet out to look at Bobby's RF, he is without fail off in the LF instead. Since his entire RF from his knee down is covered in a flesh eating fungus (definitely not showing you guys pictures until it's further along in healing because right now it looks like he needs a full limb transplant, and I quite literally threw up a little yesterday cleaning it) I at least had undeniable evidence this time around that I know which leg my horse is crippled in.

However, while Vet was down there picking and poking at the RF, she looked over at the left leg and asked if the fungus had spread. Uhhhhh, no, don't even suggest that! Further prodding revealed the scabby patch was just mud over a cut--a large, incredibly swollen, painful to the touch cut he didn't have when I'd turned him out five hours earlier.

She switched legs and started investigating further, finally finishing with, "I'm having trouble telling if that's soft tissue damage along the splint bone I'm feeling."

STOP TOUCHING MY HORSE AND GIVING ME MORE PROBLEMS RIGHT THIS SECOND.

I quickly reminded her that Bobby has old, set splints in all four legs and she agreed that she might be hitting that instead, and since the swelling was so bad it was hard to tell. Three days of Bute twice a day was prescribed for that before we moved back to Fungus Leg. Fortunately, as of this morning, the swelling has finally fully subsided and it looks like nothing more than a plain old cut that's healing up really well.

"i don't care if there are other horses in the barn
that need attention, give me cookies now!"

As far as Fungus Leg, she didn't know what was going on with it. She took a skin scraping (waiting for her to call me back today with those results), and biopsied three different spots to send off to Cornell. I should have those results back by the end of the week. She left me with a tub of Vetosan which is nothing more exciting than ChlorHex lotion since everything else is burning his skin and until we know what exactly we're dealing with we don't want to put anything else on it.

He also went back on SMZs--a larger dose this time--less to stave off whatever is going on with his leg and more to keep cellulitis at bay since she still wants him turned out, but his skin keeps splitting open.

Not an aggressive approach, but it's getting results. BM and Farrier both looked at it today for the first time since last Wednesday (BM was at a multi-day show) and were appalled with how it looks. I was actually pretty happy. It spent the weekend blowing pus everywhere. I peeled off all the hair along his cannon bone and got most off his pastern, but underneath is healthy looking skin already trying to grow some peach fuzz. With the pus gone as of this morning, the swelling is almost completely down as well.

It still looks horrendous. Clearly there's something very not right going on inside the leg. Until results come back so that we know exactly what we can throw at it without making it worse, it's just a waiting game. I'm keeping it clean, keeping him on the antibiotics, and making sure no fever pops up.

Fingers crossed progress moves forward at lightning speed so we won't have to miss another show. I already don't know how much time I have left to compete this horse with how his feet are. I'd hate to have to throw away our last season ever because of skin crud.

44 comments:

  1. I have a weird morbid fascination with pus....even though I find it absolutely disgusting. I would love to see pictures lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm taking daily progression pics so eventually there will be a post dedicated solely to Fungus Leg.

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to those progression pics when it's healed!

      Delete
    3. I look forward to those pictures too!

      Delete
  2. Ugh, I feel for you girl, this is so frustrating! Hopefully Cornell will give you some answers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon Bobby, cut your mom a break 😔 sorry to hear that you don't have concrete answers (yet), but hopefully you're on the right path to getting fungus leg all sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ughhhh Bobby why you so nasty tho???

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bobby the Wonderhorse comes through again. Too bad you can't market that shit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bobby the Something Horse. Something really fucking BAD.

      Delete
  6. Leave it to Bobby to pick up some special delicious flesh-eating microorganism from space. Maybe he's cultured a new life form? Think of what this could mean for Science!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does that mean I get to write off my vet bills? For Science of course.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness- that is so weird and frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, though. I really want some vomit inducing pus photos. There is NO way I am alone here.

    Also. Bobby. Wtf, man. Leprosy is not a commonly a horse disease. Perhaps you are actually an armadillo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hadn't added leprosy to my list of probable diseases!

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Nothing makes my gag reflex kick in quite like pus.

      Delete
  10. Fingers crossed his leg crud is gone soon and forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both of those things would be ideal!

      Delete
  11. I've definitely worked in healthcare too long when I'm major disappointed this didn't include photos and/or video.
    Pull it together Bobby, no need to be a living petri dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to come out and clean pus for me, just let me know!

      Delete
  12. I am also anticipating the pus fungus leg pictures.

    But seriously, you know something is kind of crazy when you have to send samples off to a major vet school. Super curious what the heck is going on.

    Get better soon Bobby! Not doing the dressage things because of SKIN FUNGUS is really not cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe you should bring your fungus to the show and tell the judge to give you the score you want or you'll eject pus all over her.

      Delete
  13. I wanna see pictures. You know. For my education and all;)

    But really. Fungal shit is the worst. We should all be scared of the fungi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd rather have blood pouring everywhere than fungus.

      Delete
    2. Oh I agree. All bleeding stops eventually.

      Delete
  14. I hope they can put a name to it and find you something to get rid of the fungi. Ick.
    I had Romey's neck hives biopsied last year, which are actually permanent now, so that's cool, and the results were inconclusive. Not helpful. Fingers crossed your results are helpful! If all else fails, definitely try the KrudZapper.
    And Bobby, stop torturing your mother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Romey, who gets permanent hives?!

      Delete
    2. I guess "chronic" is the more accurate term... He's pretty much Bobby 2.0, let me know if you'd like another, I'd be happy to send him to you!

      Delete
  15. Hope Bobby heals quickly for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. This fungus stuff sucks. Much worse because it is preventing the skin from healing and such. I hope you got decent results back from the scrapings and now have a plan of action!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm strangely invested in this future fungus post you have planned. Will need to avoid during lunch break though, bc that might be too much.

    I also believe that we need little vet blinders. Like please only stare at this problem right now, we can look for new ones later!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ugh fungus sucks... however, if it makes you feel any better, while in Florida this winter, I discovered that summer sores are even worse than fungus... especially when they are on your horse's SHEATH... so... at least you aren't worried about penis amputation (only leg ;) ) seriously though, I feel your pain. If the SMZ's stop working, I've had really good luck using Baytril on tough to heal skin issues.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OMG Bobby, so many problems! I'm super curious to see the fungus on the fungus leg!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh my gosh Bobby McGee, stop attempting to self-destruct!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ugh no! D: Come on Bobby! I am also in the picture-of-fungus-supporter camp.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Leave it to Bobby to try to win that special needs horse competition. I'm not telling Stampede about this. I'm sorry things have gone this way and I hope that both issues can be managed for a while yet. I know you have a great support system at your barn but if you ever needs to talk (and compare special needs horse notes) I'm here for you. Sometimes loving horses is not easy!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.