Wednesday, May 31, 2017

Fungus Leg

Here is a picture of Bobby ears so hopefully the first thing that pops up for you isn't pus.

go no further if medical mysteries make you queasy.
if they don't, where were you two weeks ago when i was dry heaving in the aisle?

After all the lead up to sharing these pictures, I hope their grossness fulfills all you freaks that wanted to see them. Maybe it's just me, but I would rather having huge open wounds with gushing blood than the smallest pocket of pus. Even just thinking about it makes me gag. I have no stomach for such things, so maybe some of you won't find these as awful as I did.

where we started, back in january
february, when i first had the vet look at it

february

february
losing hair in march when i had the vet
out for the second time.
5/10, day before 3rd vet appointment.
the swelling was daily for over a year
 until he got moving.
5/12, first full day of smzs. the pus
scalded his cannon and i was peeling
hair off it for days.

5/12
a lot of that blood is from the biopsy sites

5/13

5/13. this is very typical of how
sarcoidosis presents on whole body when
it's generalized. 
5/15. the vet had me using chlorhex
cream which fortunately i ran out of
quickly as it was making his skin worse

5/15

5/16. this was the day after starting
stacie's miracle cream recommendation

5/16

5/16
5/21. you can see the deformation of
the hoof that had farrier so worried

5/21

5/22. i was waiting for a new tub of
krudzapper so i scrubbed it clean with castile
soap and was stunned at the progress.

5/22
5/23. a day and night of silvadene dried
it out and set it back a bit.

5/23
5/27. back on krudzapper and much better

5/27

5/29. looking almost like a normal leg again!

5/29

So there you go. That's what localized sarcoidosis looks like in an otherwise healthy Thoroughbred. I can't recommend Krudzapper enough for a mild, conditioning topical. His skin was so burned up from the other things we tried that I was afraid to put anything else on it, but this stuff has made a huge difference in not only clearing up the scabby crust, but keeping the skin from drying out and splitting and helping the hair start to grow back. It can't cure cancer, but it can make it look acceptable to the public eye again!

51 comments:

  1. Poor Bobby! That krudzapper worked wonders tho. I'm going to have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super reasonably priced too. I wish it came in bigger tubs!

      Delete
  2. That Kridzapper really worked. Unfortunately, I can't get it in Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Check on amazon. That's where I buy mine.

      Delete
  3. Christalmighty. Poor Bobby :( Poor Carly!!! Ugh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was such a champ for treatment, definitely deserved his cookies.

      Delete
  4. WOW. That is pretty horrific - my scratches pics have nothing on Bobby's fungus leg! The Krudzapper is amazing, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Taking skin diseases to a whole new level!

      Delete
  5. Alright, I wanted the pictures but some of that pus was admittedly super gross. Glad it's looking a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that was more disgusting than what I had imagined. It's like in Indiana Jones where the guys face melts off except it was poor Bobby's leg. It is looking a lot better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is fascinating. The only really "omg eww" moment for me was the 5/12 pic, the rest are impressively gross but not total eww for me. Good job to you for keeping at it. Ha! He looks a lot better now! I am now ordering some Krudzapper for myself to keep on hand for stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ughhhh it was so gross peeling pus slime off though!

      Delete
  8. Oh wow! It really did work well! Poor you guys. I agree, I much prefer a good bleeding, gaping wound to puss. Ugh. Bleh!
    When I was a barn manager 100 years ago, one of the boarders' horses had to have sinus surgery. He had a tracheotomy during the surgery, which was removed before he came back. But it was still a big gaping hole when he arrived. It was the nastiest thing I've ever had to take care of. OMG, the smell, the puss. I can't. Anyway, my point... Fungus leg looks like a close second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg no, that's not okay. If it had smelled I would have paid someone a lot of money to treat it for me.

      Delete
  9. The 5/12 days were pretty gross, but not total eww for me either, lol. But I feel like I should pick up some Krudzapper right now though, even if I don't need it! Maybe you should send some pics to the company and say "it almost cures cancer!", they might send you some more for free, lol. His leg looks so much better though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like a lifetime supply of your voodoo magic, please and thank you.

      Delete
  10. What an improvement! I've never heard of that lotion but it looks pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd never heard of it before either. Further proof bloggers rock!

      Delete
  11. So interesting and educational. I can't believe how fast it started looking better when you used the Krudwhatever. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the name is not a winner lol

      Delete
  12. Wow, that Krudstuff is magic. I'd totally believe it could cure cancer. Also my tolerance level must be pretty high because although I was like "ew" for a couple of pictures, they didn't really get to me. Bleeding from the feet makes me a little light-headed though. We all have our thing, I guess...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it's more that it's happening to our own horses that freaks us out.

      Delete
  13. Yikes!That lotion really did wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've definitely worked in healthcare too long, I just wanted to zoom in on all of them and didn't find them gross at all. Would have totally volunteered to come deal with this. That stuff is definitely majikal unicorn cream though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yuck! I'll have you come out next time I need to peel pus off and then you can clean up my vomit for me, too!

      Delete
  15. Not gonna lie. I totally shared that photo with everyone I know. Like Holly, though. I've been around the healthcare industry for waaaay too long for much to phase me.

    It's looking sooooo much better. Is looking better an indicator of doing better, though?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No? Maybe? Everything I've read says that topicals won't do anything, but clearly this made the crust and nastiness go away and undoubtedly made him way, way more comfortable. Steroids are the only "treatment", but they're not guaranteed to do anything and we're wary of putting him on them because of his feet. The antibiotics he's on have cleared up the vasculitis so maybe they're doing something to the cancer too?

      Delete
  16. Well, that's horrifying looking. I didn't find it very gross though, but I'm not grossed out by much. I'm glad he's feeling better now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skin crust and pus are at the top of my list of things I don't want to ever deal with. Give me some blood any day!

      Delete
  17. Jesus f**k Bobby! *rushes off to amazon to buy some krudzapper*

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooooh yum! I read this post while eating chips and salsa, and my husband was super grossed out haha. I don't mind pus as long as it's someone elses problem? Glad the Krudstuff seems to be helping!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not okay....and yet now I want salsa?

      Delete
  19. Daaamn. But I'm seriously impressed with how much better it's looking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost normal leg status, here we come!

      Delete
  20. Omw holy zombie horse leg! Glad its clearing up and he's more comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Grrrrooosssssssss I love it. 10/10 would totally take a NY vacation to pick at it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 10/10 horse people are fucked up. You're welcome out here any time.

      Delete
  22. WOW. That is super scary, but I am mad impressed with Krudzapper! What a difference

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, that was gross. Poor Bobby, looks like it hurts. Poor Carly, looks awful to deal with up close. Kudos for doin what you gotta do. I'm glad you found something that helped him so much!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.