Tuesday, May 9, 2017

JKLOLOMGWTF

Everything was mostly roses for my last post. Good lesson, good things to work on, horse is feeling relaxed and ready to take on the show season. He had Friday off, and then went back to work over the weekend.

never go to emma for bonnet bling support. she'll be like, "you can do it!" and
you'll be like, "bitch, if i stab myself in the face with this needle one more time
i will come and find you and cut you."

But lurking in the background of every day Bobby life has been Fungus Leg. It could have its own instagram if it wouldn't make everyone vomit to see its face. Even Farrier calls it by name when checking in to see how Bobby's feeties are doing (Fine, by the way.). Fungus Leg has been seen by the vet twice already this year. We've done SMZs, we've done prescription shampoos, Desitin, antifungal creams, leave this on, take this off, scrub it twice, don't scrub it all...you name it, it's been tried.

The shampoo helped a lot initially. It stopped the balding on the cannon bone and ankle, but it didn't really clear up the scabs. The Desitin seemed to help with that, and we're mostly scab free around the pastern and ankle. So far, everything below the knee seems to be moving forward. Slowly, slowly forward, but healing.

The knee? It. Is. Fucking. Disgusting.

couldn't leave his stall until more candy was inserted 

The main problem seems to be that the leg is reacting to the fungus by swelling overnight when he's in his stall. It causes the skin over the joint to stretch and then crack open so nothing is getting a chance to heal because, you know, his knee is an integral part to him moving. I thought I was on to something when I went back at night to wrap his leg to keep any build up from happening. Relieve the pressure of a fat knee on the skin and everything will have a chance to knit shut for good. That worked for about three days before the swelling was like, "Can't settle in the lower leg? I'll just move up to the forearm and settle directly on the knee." That being the complete opposite of what I was aiming for obvi.

Through this all Bobby hasn't acted lame due to the fungus side affects. Occasionally he'll walk a little stiff until he's moved around enough to knock the fill out--movement being the only surefire way to kill the swelling, but then of course the knee is moving and cracking open all the scabs trying to heal. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

you can kind of see the offending knee here.

This weekend, though, he kind of lost his shit.

multiple times. 

I got off both days feeling completely defeated and like the worst rider on the planet. He's been going so well and been so relaxed in his work that to have him revert back to last year Bobby, who was too tense to ask anything of and we basically just tried to survive every movement, made me feel like the biggest failure ever. We'd taken approximately ten thousand steps backwards and I felt for sure I'd undone all of BM's work with us.

After having a serious pout on Sunday, I came in Monday with a plan. I shortened my stirrups a hole since in the pictures I could see that I was using them to brace against him the second he started tensing up which obviously helps nothing. We had a long, long walk warm up since his leg was fatter than normal, and then we moved on to the trot.


Only he didn't want to trot. He wanted to canter. His answer to everything was canter. And if I shut him down, he got furious and threw a fit. Coming off a weekend where I already felt like a shit rider, I gave up. I got into half seat and let him rip around the ring while I quietly cried and ignored him until he finally settled down--a solid fifteen to twenty minutes later--and trotted on his own. Then I had to get off and cool him down since he was drenched in sweat and blowing, and I felt even shittier.

And shittier still when I saw that his knee now looked like raw meat. I immediately got on the phone with the vet and scheduled an appointment, and then shoved Bute down his throat as a last ditch effort to combat the overnight swelling.

He's not getting ridden until the vet comes out. He's still not lame, but I can't even bring myself to do more than glance at his leg to make sure it's not about to fall off without hating myself and hating him a little.

He goes out in a huge field with a rowdy gelding that he plays with all day. He shouldn't have this crazy amount of excess energy he needs to burn off. I got him his wedges back to make his feet comfortable again. I ditched the jumping so he wouldn't be sore. I'm in a good program with an incredible trainer that's making me ride him fairly and correctly. If he feels even remotely lame, he doesn't get worked.

CAN YOU NOT THROW ME A FUCKING BONE HERE AND JUST MAKE MY LIFE EASIER, BOBBY?!

it can trot around like a second level horse when not flinging itself around.

All that is to say that Sunday's show looks like it might not be happening. Unless the vet can work some magic and make this knee look presentable enough to go out into public--and obviously get Bobby feeling more comfortable with it since I can't imagine it feels great in its current state--I'm going to have to scratch him. We're already going to be missing two of the shows that qualify for year end awards for various reasons, so I'm being a selfish child and being exceptionally bummed out about the prospect of having to miss this one, too, and potentially not getting to enough shows to yet again to qualify for giant ribbons.

Please stop costing me money, Bobby. Or at least be nice to me while you're doing it.

32 comments:

  1. Yikes. Annie had scratches from hell last fall/winter that resulted in some fugliness but sounds like nothing like what you're discussing. I had to wash her leg with a chlorhexidine solution from the vet. (After using almost every product that exists) And more SMZ. It wasn't a lot of fun but it finally started to get better. Hope your vet has a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CK shampoo? That's what helped a lot until it didn't anymore. Hoping she has something else for it!

      Delete
  2. If your vet can figure out your fungus/crud issue maybe send them to me since Stampede has had his for years now. I can knock it down to minimal but I can't get rid of it completely. Kind of hoping the change in venue will be magical for him...
    If it makes you feel better I've found a new money pit and it's called deciding to bring your horses home, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the change in venue helps, can Bobby retire at your place?

      Delete
  3. Ugh, so sorry for the struggles!

    I have been treating Bella's sweet itch from the inside out and it has made a big difference! She's now eating plain timothy pellets with minerals balanced her to hay. I know that's not everyone's idea of a good time, but maybe maybe some immune and inflammation support would help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% looking into immune support. I tried something like that last year when he kept getting hives and it helped almost instantly.

      Delete
  4. Ughhhhhhhhh. All my crossables are crossed for a fungus-crushing plan from the vet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bonnet bling hotline is obnoxiously optimistic. Sorry not sorry. Tho I'm also hopeful that Bobby's raw meat situation on his knee can be remedied somehow some way for the show. Ugh. Horses are the fucking worst sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arrrrrr noooooo not now Bobby. #leasthelpfulcomment #butatleastnobadadvice

    ReplyDelete
  7. I swear that there is something in the air. My mare was nuts last night and could not horse. I hope that you find a fungus solution .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deadly bacteria is in the air! Eating your horse's hair. Eating their brain cells.

      Delete
  8. Ugh, nooooo! Hopefully the vet has a magical solution that means you will be able to make it to the show on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Horse are such money pits. I hope he stops draining your funds/fun soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd even shell more out on the funds if he could stop taking from the fun.

      Delete
  10. Horses are such jerks. They're all, I'm perfect we should show. And then like three days before, they're all just kidding I hate you. Jerks.
    I'm sure you've probably tried it, but just in case I'll ask... Have you tried KrudZapper? It's the greasiest stuff ever, so it's great for preventing cracking while stuff heals. If you haven't tried it yet and want to, make sure you get the cream not the spray. The spray doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of that! Looking into it immediately.

      Delete
  11. The obvious answer is to just force him on a treadmill to walk all night lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But like a water treadmill so we don't stress his feet. Only not a water treadmill because then the fungus gets wet? JUST TAKE MY MONEY FOR SOMETHING.

      Delete
  12. Horses are the worst. IDK why we waste all of this time, money, and effort on them when they always mess something up before a show. :P

    PS I'm gross and would love an instagram of his leg. Horse maladies healing over time is the coolest to watch. (And it will heal eventually because he totally owes you!)

    Hopefully your vet has new magic to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'll do a progression post once (IF) we make some real progress in the healing department. Right now it looks too much like I'm abusing my horse. Even though fungus. Mutant fungus.

      Delete
  13. OK but how dare you make this post without posting at least a link to gross Fungus Leg pictures??

    Our water is crazy high in iron so I started feeding copper and zinc to balance that out and poof our leg crud was gone. That was more garden variety scratches than demon fungus, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is wrong with you people?! I almost threw up a little in my mouth washing it this morning and peeling scabs off and it's crusty with pus and UGH OMG VOMIT FUNGUS IS THE WORST.

      Delete
  14. It makes me laugh that more people than just me were going "So where are the gross pics Carly?!?!" It sucks that the fungusamungus is causing you and Bobbi such difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to throw you guys a couple nice dressage pics, but nooooo, everyone wants fungus pics! There's something wrong with horse people.

      Delete
  15. Ughhhh I'm so sorry the phytovet ck didn't cure it! Damn fungus. That shit is the most stubborn life form on the planet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For real! It's the never ending fungus!

      Delete
  16. Ugh. I'm sorry. What a mess. Fungus of all kinds be gone, please!

    I'm sure you've tried everything and are beyond the point of this, but I wanted to share (once again) how amazing No Thrush powder is for skin junk, too. And for healing wounds, too, actually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know you could use it on skin junk! We're waiting for lab results to come back before putting anything else on it since the last two things we tried burned his skin.

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.