Monday, September 28, 2015

Touch Wood

Bobby has been jumping for about a month now and--touch wood--his leg has held up to the increased strain without giving him any discomfort. It's all about management, and not getting greedy, and having prior experience with a horse who sported a far more serious soft tissue injury but came back to full jumping without any soundness issues.

That horse was cuter, smaller, cattier, and one thousand times more aware of his moving parts than my current lumbering lummox, but it all amounts to the same thing in the end.

how do i get pictures of his croup looking level? because his ass is white girl flat.

We're gearing up for a little jump-jump competition in the future, so I've been upping the days a week over fences. However, while doing that, I've been dialing back the number of jumping efforts. There's plenty you can work on with just a handful of jumps when your horse already knows his job.

That said, this particular horse's rider might have some minor mental hang ups about poles that roll harmlessly to the ground when you look at them too hard, so I've tailored our rides around me.

On Saturday I set up a 3' oxer and a 3' vertical. Start on the left lead to the oxer, come around and jump the vertical on the diagonal, turn right, jump the oxer off the right. So easy! Well, it was relatively easy because we'd done the same exercise in reverse on Wednesday.


One thing I'm struggling with in this indoor is building up the appropriate pace. It's mostly a strength thing where it's easier for Bobby to take shorter steps and race around instead of lengthening his stride in a small space and getting the forward ride we need that way. I feel like I'm gunning it when really there's nothing wrong with the speed, it's the execution.

I'm also trying to regain the feel of what length I want my stirrups at. They feel short when I first pick up the canter, but then once I get over the first fence without dying and relax my super tense body and stretch my leg down, they feel too long.

add that whole laying on my horse's neck thing to the list of problems to fix while we're at it.

I'm trying hard not to psych myself out with all the small things that need to be worked on, and then convincing myself I'm in way over my head and never going to be able to jump again ever.

I can do this.

My horse can do this.

I'm seeing my distances without fail even if I see we're about to come in a hair short or a hair long. My leg is a nonissue; it stays where I put it, and I feel rock solid over jumps. Bobby is adjustable, willing, and has barely tapped a pole since we've gone back to work.

also hubby is fired as my photographer. that position is now available.

Today we put in a really solid flat ride in the indoor in jump tack before heading outside. It had been raining lightly all morning so the grass was a little slick, but not enough to get me worried. We did two strong canters around the conditioning field with only one minor slip on the straight away. Bobby didn't seem to register it, and he calmly collected up when asked to make the turn around the corner before letting out a monster buck and shooting forward once we were straight again. I'm not sure why bucking after slipping seemed like a good idea, but whatever.

I took him over some of the hunter pace jumps after that just to get him cantering over grass and terrain while still keeping his brain in check. That was a big ole fat fail for the first jump. He flung his head into my face and supermanned that ho.

put a 2' fence in front of us and you'll have an accurate representation of what happened.

We had a little CTJ immediately upon landing and schooled a few more things without issue. I'm flip flopping on whether or not I want to try him at this show in his egg butt or dig out something else with a little more breaks. He's not going to take off with me, I just need something that he listens to a little more before the fence.

Still plenty of time to keep experimenting and convincing myself we aren't going to die!

Also still plenty of time to keep obsessively icing, wrapping, linimenting, and cold hosing his leg for preventative measures, and trying to contain the nasty fungus on his tush.

I swear this seemed like a much better idea when I sent the entry in. 

13 comments:

  1. Pace is HARD. Really, really, fucking hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Bobby likes to predict too. Like, " mom we're jumping! Lesgo fassst!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like Bobby likes to predict too. Like, " mom we're jumping! Lesgo fassst!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least he's enthusiastic?? Jumping in tiny indoors is HARD - if you can get out in a bigger arena and get that 'forward' in a less... insane sort of way, all you have to do is maintain it. At least in theory. YOU CAN DO EET!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't jump one time last year in the indoor. We'll see what I do this winter, since I'm pretending I'm going to go to jumping shows this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't icing like a mofo before a show FUN?! Doesn't it make you enjoy being sober and chill as fuck?

    Fuck legs. The next horse I'm buying will have titanium legs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is quite the giraffe impression there Bobby. Anyways, you got this jumping over sticks thing down. I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG that last picture. Bobby. He literally sounds like an elephant in there, that indoor is so loud!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I also meant to include that in Australia "touch wood" always sounds so much dirtier. Mwahahah.

      Delete
  9. Ugh I'm with you on the stirrups thing, feel like I need to do all of the flatwork in jumping gear or something something....

    Man I need to be able to spot a distance, whether it's short, long or right I don't care I need to be able to spot one of them haha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bobby is like YAY JUMPING, LETS GO! He is such a funny dude. Sure clears the jump with room to spare (especially in that first pic).

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.