Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Farrier Update and Goals.

Gosh, there hasn't been a farrier update in nearly a week. That means it was about time for Bobby to pull his LF shoe again, right? Right! He pulled it during turnout Monday night and the farrier put it back on Tuesday...for the third time in three weeks. Clearly this is not going to work. BM (who knows way more about feet than I do and whose help I was happy to enlist) and I had a conference call with New Farrier.

I tossed out the idea of glue ons and NF said he'd mull that over, but BM pointed out that when a normal shoe comes off, the nail hole might get torn up a little, but that's usually the extent of the damage. When a glue on comes off, the whole hoof comes off with it. NF suggested a change in turnout, but I'm really, really hoping it won't come down to that. Bobby really likes the group he goes out with and he's doing so much better with extended turnout time. And BM said that no one in that group really gets running around, unless they're doing it in the middle of the night.

So that brings us to how he's getting the effing shoe off in the first place. NF will be out tomorrow to look him over with a fine-toothed comb to hopefully come up with a plan for him. BM thinks what he'll do, and said what she'd do, is shorten up the toes in the front to get them out of the way quicker so he stops stepping on himself. I dunno. He's got such small, flat feet as it is, there's really not much to take off.

For now, the game plan is to put a hoof boot on over the shoe on the LF to keep him from pulling it. We'll continue to attempt to put a bell boot on the RF, which also had its own issues today--one of the nails needed to be clinched down badly, so BM clinched it....and saw that the nail was poking right out of the bottom of his shoe. She nipped that off so fingers crossed it won't be a problem tonight. Also, I think I found the magic pair of bell boots--an old pair of sparkly silver Davis boots. I don't even remember when I got them, and the velcro on one was ready to come off so it was no suprise that one only lasted two days, but the other one has made it a record-setting four days! I'm going to the tack store this week to pick up a new pair in a really bright color.

adorable braid afro.

Now all this happened before I had even gotten a brush out. BO was genius enough to leave him in last night so that the shoe had a chance of staying on so I did get to ride the beast. I know, I know. I was going to give him off until Friday, but I just couldn't resist the gorgeous weather. He'll get tomorrow off anyway. I opted for the outdoor to enjoy the weather. The half an inch of rain we got yesterday made it a little sloppy, but definitely ride-able.

To tell you the truth, I've been a little giddy thinking about the work ahead of us. I love having a plan!

* Goal 1: Forward at all three gaits without rushing.

I thought this was going to be very tricky with Bobby's propensity to rush. I'm sure it will be a work in progress, but Mr Magee was feeling fresh to death this morning and he killed it. Big, swinging walk. Big, bouncy trot that I could actually post to--and not like a jack hammer. The canter needed a touch of umph, but I got it when I asked for it.

* Goal 2: Stretchy trot circles.

I'm doing a dressage show July 1st and I really want to do Training 1 and 2. This means Bobby has to do a stretchy trot circle. This poses a problem as I don't know how to do them. I got about two steps, and then Bobby and I were both like, "Huh? What are we doing?" Lesson with BO to be scheduled.

* Goal 3: Control my body at the canter.

This is one of those things where I know I need to do it, and then I start to canter and start fussing with Bobby too much and lose track of what my own body is doing. I tried really hard to keep my upper body still today, but I think I'm going to need some video work to see how I'm doing, and point it out to BO that it's something I want to work on.

Overall, a pretty rocking ride. Only twenty five minutes, but Bobby worked every single step and even though it was 75* and breezy, he was one sweaty pony when we were done. Friday he'll have another flat school, then we'll start the jumping fun this weekend when I can recruit Hubby as pole boy.

muddy polos.
maybe the farrier can also fix how badly he interferes?
Also, pictures from Plantation are up. No stadium. Bobby really is not the most photogenic horse in the world, though he certainly knows where the camera is.

5 comments:

  1. Maybe shoes with clips? I used to use the side clips because Carlos pulled shoes in turn out. Now I do the front clips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh. Shoeing problems are no fun. Hope you guys find a solution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure who told you the whole hoof comes off with a glue-on, but that's not true. If you're talking regular glue-on boots, the glue just comes off the boot. I've seen it happen. If you're talking glue-on SHOES, with a fiberglass cuff, the cuff will tear and the hoof will be fine. I've used them on my horse and he's never managed to toss one. I've seen entire hoof walls that needed resecting due to damage from nail on shoes, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the pictures look awesome!!! :)

    Hope the NF can help solve the shoe dilemmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This shoe issue must be so frustrating! I hope you can get it sorted soon.
    Good luck with the goals.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.