Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Did we just become best friends

Yesterday, in about the middle of our ride, we were working on simple changes. It got heated a couple times when the transition up or down was sloppy and I immediately went to fix it which caused Opie to start anticipating. I switched things up--instead of asking for the new lead I'd ask him to pick up the same one, or instead of changing direction I'd keep him straight or on a circle. 

Opie got wound, thought about going up once, thought about slamming on the brakes a couple of times, and was definitely breathing fire throughout, but nothing got completely out of control to the point where we had to stop everything. So that alone was a big win!

He got his a carrot when we were done and I stuck the other one in my back pocket to give to him after I got done hosing him off and washing his tail. He was in for the day to wait out the tornado watch and 90* heat plus ten trillion percent humidity in comfort, so I left him in front of his hay net with his fan blowing on him. 

Once I got everything put away, I got in my car to leave and realized I still had the carrot in my back pocket. I walked down the outside of the barn so I didn't have to go back in and talk to the girl in crossties (socializing quota: already met). I called out Opie's name several stalls out so I didn't pop up at his window and scare the shit out of him, and I could hear him nickering back to me like, "Mom? Where are you? I hear you!"

When I got to his window he saw me out of the corner of his side eye and hurried over, sticking his giant snoot between the bars for a pet before shoving the carrot in his mouth.


I am not even remotely a sentimental or touchy feely type person. I try to avoid being so at all costs in fact. But I did melt a little knowing that even while we're working through this really shitty, frustrating rough patch and occasionally provoking each other into fights, my pone still wants to be my friend.

Now if only he could remember that when I take him off property....

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.