Saturday, March 28, 2020

More bridleless jumping

BM texted me Friday afternoon to tell me she had an open riding spot first thing this morning if I wanted to come out. Obviously I couldn't say no to that!

I dragged Hubby out with me, we washed our hands on arrival, practiced our social distancing, and just generally tried to avoid touching any and everything--minus putting up some jumps in the ring because you've still gotta social media even in these times.


Opie had two days off after his long dressage/sitting trot ride on Wednesday, and he was actually pretty chipper despite the fact that we walked in on his breakfast. However, he was once again unimpressed with the bridleless work. He just cannot find it in himself to give two fucks without a bridle on.

After a quick warm up, we went through the trot poles to X. Boring, barely managed to lift his feet over the X. Moved on to an easy bounce and ran through that a few times until we got it perfected.


After that I had Hubby set the vertical up a stride out again.



Up two holes:


what, you don't crest release with a neck rope?

And up two more holes to 3'9":



A few things:

  • Since when did 3'9" become an actual snooze fest for this horse?
yeah, this one. this was almost exactly 1 year ago.

  • That said, I'm not too impressed with his jumping style. He looks good in a freeze frame, but he's a bit up and down in his body on landing, and he still twists his hind end out of the way over these bigger jumps. 
  • Apparently grids do the opposite of what they say they're supposed to do for rider position for me--mine is definitely worse through them.
  • What a good boy tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.