Saturday
I had originally planned on longeing first and then getting on for an easy w/t/c no expectations asked ride. Lessons were still going on when I arrived though so I nixed the longe and pulled out the double bridle. I bought a crank chin pad for it even though the rubs on the underside of his face are definitely from his feed tub. It's just that time of year where everything is rubbing from nothing. But my real idea with the double was that I knew I wouldn't be tempted to ask for any real work from him in it.
A lot of w/t with the snaffle engaged, asking him to be round and stay straight in his body. Some good, forward canter in half seat, occasionally circling over some of the ground poles laid out in the lesson going on. Finished with some solid stretching. Zero shenanigans and exactly the ride I was looking for.
![]() |
| he was happy with it, too, i promise. |
Sunday
BM and I made it out to the park with my truck and trailer finally back to hauling like the dream team again. Then I came home, the check engine light came on, and the truck started having engine problems. Also again. That put a bit of a damper on things, but at this point I still haven't gotten my hopes up for a show season this year. It seems like everything is conspiring against me.
The park was nice however. The weather was slightly chillier than we had planned on, but the sun was out and the trails weren't muddy messes. Dopie and Mo both started out by taking great offense to every human being in existence but eventually got over themselves.
![]() |
| completely at ease in the double. not at ease of the army rotc training taking place across the road. |
Despite half of the main pond being frozen over still, we found a couple of good spots for splash parties, and even got to do two long canters.
![]() |
| "are there people behind me??" |
Monday
Sun's out, buns out! 65* meant everyone gets to be naked, and Opie gets to enjoy the best weather of the week with a day off. The chiro actually got there in relatively good time so I managed to get his tail washed and conditioned without him throwing too much of a tantrum about having to stay in while his besties were outside.
His was much more out in his back this time than the last adjustment which didn't surprise me at all given the epic tantrum he threw on Thursday. Still crooked in his hips--specifically the left--but Chiro said it gets better each time. He's such a naturally crooked-going horse that it's going to be a constant thing. Even while we were trail riding yesterday, I could feel him dropping me off the right side of his back. Hopefully this brings a little more cooperation into future rides. We'll see tomorrow.
The dentist is next on the list. Then spring shots. Then we'll see where we're at with the truck and the attitude and the budget. Boo, having to have money!




No comments:
Post a Comment
If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.