Friday, April 5, 2019

Just what the therapist ordered

An update on Opie's legs (all four of them in case you forgot): They're fine, he's fine, literally almost nothing to see here a couple days post-dumb. He had a farrier appointment Wednesday morning, and since I try to be a considerate client and not put poor Farrier under a creature ready to explode, I stuck Dopie on the longe before she came.

He hadn't been worked in three days at that point, but when I let the line out he chose to trot and canter on his own at a perfectly sensible and balanced pace. I stopped him, gave him a candy, and switched sides. Again, things were going swimmingly until his BFF/Soul Mate let out a scream for him and Opie left.

Like, peace, bitch. I've got a Soul Mate to return to.

things were so going well.

He dragged me more than halfway across the ring before I got him stopped. He wasn't down with that though and reared in my face. Repeatedly. At which point he got spanked with the whip and put on a two inch circle until his brain was back in his head, and he returned to trotting around like nothing had happened.

I warned Farrier that he was being a Grade A Shit Head lately. She looked over at him standing on the crossties with his eyes bugging out and his head trying to touch the ceiling and we braced ourselves for a good time. Fortunately he only tried to set back against the crossties once (when BFF once again screamed for him), but by the end of the appointment he was hanging out with a drooping lip and a cocked leg.

"me? cause drama? never."

After two weeks to get through of a laundry list of repairs, I finally got my truck back Tuesday night from our new--and fucking amazing--mechanic just in time to drop my car off for its second appointment (which is still under warranty, thank fuck). With old lady Growler running like a brand new vehicle, I decided spur of the moment it was time to take our first outing of the year. Since we're supposed to be bombarded with rain and snow for the next eternity, even though it wasn't warm yesterday the sun was enough to get me out to the park.

apparently no one else thought it was nice enough to ride.
we were all by ourselves.

I expected Opie to be a little jiggy once we got there, but my main concern was the trailer. I was dreading all those months of hard work I did last year getting this horse solid about trailering had been lost over the winter when he didn't go anywhere. Never fear, #childgenius here, he walked right on both times and stood rock solid while I scooted behind him and latched him in.

not that there wasn't side eye obvi.

In fact, he was A Very Good Boy the entire trip. The only time he made a peep was the spot he always calls out--at a lodge in the distance he seems convinced is a barn. He was flat footed, calm, unconcerned by the several asshole drivers that sped by him, strolled past the wildlife without a thought, and had a lovely loose, swinging back the entire ride. He was happy to stretch down on a long rein or get picked up and trot lightly on the bit.

a slow meander is about as fast as you can get the deer to move

these geese were so obnoxious.
just trying to wade over here, bros.

He wasn't entirely perfect. He did try a couple half-assed Nopes about such arduous tasks like walking over a muddy dip in the ground and walking through leaves blown up against the base of hills instead of launching over them. Life it hard, yo. We also finished the ride in the branches of an apple tree within feet of my trailer. He took offense to a cement block and whirled around directly into the tree. I didn't even mind getting smacked in the face by a branch because I knew he took the brunt of it. Way to self-punish, you tool.

regrets nothing.

He gets today off because even though it was a shorter ride than I usually do when we're there, the two brief canters showed that while homie might be strong as an ox right now, he needs some help in the cardio department. Hopefully winter ends some time this century and we can ditch the arena to start the fun fitness work!

21 comments:

  1. Dopie is feelin' Spring-time maybe? Hahaha.
    Glad he behaved himself like the #childgenius we know he is for your hack! I'm so excited to hit some trails as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish he was as good at home as he is off property, but I guess being good in public is probably the better option lol.

      Delete
  2. Winter needs to go away. A weekend of solid rain coming up for us here in what is supposed to be sunny SC. Yuck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like it is NEVER ENDING this year!

      Delete
  3. Dopie is either the DOPIEST or a #childgenius. There is no inbetween lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. What Tracie said. At least he keeps it interesting- kinda like a roulette wheel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's starting to border a little too close to #bobbyproblems this spring for my liking. :P

      Delete
  5. Dopie roulette wheel! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which personality will come out to play/terrorize you today?

      Delete
  6. I hate ny and that winter in April shit. It might rain 6 months a year here but at least the snow quits in march....usually 😂

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad he did so well for the trail ride! I feel like Spring always brings out the crazy in all the horses at my barn. I’m sure he’ll be back to #childgenius soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, my one consolation is that every other horse in the barn is also on nut bag duty currently.

      Delete
  8. As a human who is struggling with a horse who has trailer issues--what was your method to get Opie confident?

    Mort is definitely fearful. He'll get on if I practice every single day but taking any time off and we go back to square one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Opie seemed both fearful and his own special version of "My anxiety is rocketing through the roof for no other reason than I EXIST AND THEREFORE ANXIOUS." I think it had quite a bit to do with starting gate anxiety as I could get him to LOAD, it was staying in the trailer that was the issue.

      I obviously worked with on the trailer itself a lot. Because he's so obscenely treat motivated it was a lot of, "You took one step on the trailer and didn't immediately fly backwards. Here are 500 pieces of candy!!!!" That got him thinking that the trailer isn't such a bad place to hang out, but I'm not sure how that would work with a horse whose fear overcomes his love for candy.

      I also did a lot of in-hand work, backing him out of tight spaces, especially where I could find terrain to simulate a ramp type scenario. I built a "trailer stall" out of jump standards and poles and we did A LOT of work with standing and backing in there. He stall also dips when you step into it so I backed him in and out of there about a hundred times.

      I think he finally just realized that the trailer is an okay place to be. We went to a lot of shows and a lot of off property rides all year, and he got to do several of those with a super chill trailer buddy. Nothing bad happened to him on the trailer and nothing bad happened to him on adventures.

      It was MONTHS of ripping my hair out doing all this though. It was super frustrating and not at all fun, but the persistence and the patience definitely paid off in the long run!

      Delete
    2. The jump standard chute is a good idea that I'll have to try.
      Once Mort is in the trailer he'll stay in, it's the getting him in that we're were struggling with. But sounds like he just needs more and more practice and cookies.

      Delete
  9. I'm glad Opies ok! Hopefully he finds his walnut brain for arena work soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's only got one brain cell in the spring, you'd think it would be easier to keep track of!

      Delete
  10. Sassy! Hopefully the change of scenery might help put his brain back in. I hate when they ooze out like that. Glad you got to have some fun with him (minor tree incidents excluded).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed it stops monsooning here at some point so we can get out again without fear of drowning.

      Delete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.