...BUT!
We may have finally.....solved? (heavy emphasis on the question mark lolz) one of the roots of Opie's problems.
![]() |
| just insert (drug laced) candies plz |
Today marks one week of treatment, which means we'll be all wrapped up by the end of the week.
So far it's been relatively smooth sailing. Let's break it down day by day.
(last) Tuesday: It was hot AF so we just did a bareback stroll.
Wednesday: I wanted to do our regularly scheduled lesson with MB the next day to get her eyes on him, so I figured I better put a saddle on him for the first time in about three weeks to see what we were working with. It was a mess. The footing was a little sloppy from rain, and he just could not settle. He couldn't soften, he couldn't focus, he still felt lame LF starting out on top of feeling tight and whacky behind. I was not feeling particularly optimistic.
Thursday: I went forth with the lesson anyway because MB isn't going to judge if he came out still looking Not Good. Plus she's very good at methodically talking me through unlocking Opie's crazy and coming out the other side with whether or not he can't or he just won't.
![]() |
| had to do sitting trot to the left to control the zoomies |
He did blessedly feel better right off the bat. We did a ton of stretchy walk where he felt a bit trippy up front, but he hasn't been able to stretch down without being dead fucking lame in ages so that was a massive win. Into the trot where we focused on keeping the rhythm slow. He still felt a little weird behind, but nothing notable with the LF which was another huge win.
He had one big trip up front in the trot where we went sprawling for about three strides before he managed to right himself, but he went back to work for a few more minutes to wrap things up without issue.
![]() |
| right before he ate shit |
Friday: Day off.
Saturday: We did our first canter! He couldn't turn right. At all. In any gait. But overall felt sound and relatively normal.
Sunday: I longed him in just his halter. He looked....herky jerky is the best way to describe it. Like his legs just weren't bending like normal horse legs? Question mark? I don't know, it was weird. He also looked like he had no control over his lower lip the whole time. It was swinging in the breeze like there was no connection between it and the rest of his face. Was he sleepy or relaxed? Those aren't really Opie things.
Monday: I finally succeeded in slowing down the trot. He's been zooming around probably looking good from the ground, but it's been half a centimeter from tipping to the point of no control. I'd rather have him slower and feeling more relaxed than blasting around looking powerful and about to fall down. Again.
(this) Tuesday: We warmed up by running through the trot work from 1-3, but in the walk. The trot was in control from the start! We had a couple discussions about picking up the canter without being feral. The right lead canter was good--we could turn today! The left was a lot of being very angry that I wouldn't get off his right side (where I'm allowed to sit, so sorry), but once he snorted out all his rage over that injustice, it felt fine too. And then we finished with stretchy trot! Which has been sooooooo long in coming!
I'm hoping that we can go about our lives and rebuild strength yet again. And then maybe we can plan things? Knowing this horse probably not lol.




Oh lord what is it about rehabbing TBs thinking that they only way they can possibly trot is at Mach 10???
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, trips like you described are terrifying to me. Nothing like feeling your horse go out from under you. Fingers crossed for you!
ReplyDeleteHooray for being able to stretch!! Hopefully this is the turning point.
ReplyDeleteThis all sounds so promising
ReplyDeleteOhhh!!! I hope this is the answer!
ReplyDelete