Tuesday, May 12, 2026

Joke's On Me

This is what I get for putting things out into the universe. Nothing good ever comes from it.

both of us in the throes of a menty b

On Saturday Opie had his saddle fitting appointment. You know, now that he was sound and being ridden more than one ride every month.

He was obviously super lame for it.

We snuck in enough trot work to check the saddle after she gave it a fluff and evened everything out--which he was, for once, easy to please over--but the LF was gimping away.

I gave him Sunday off, and then tacked him up Monday with the mindset that if he was lame again I'd give in and just go ahead and call the new vet. He was frustratingly not lame. I wouldn't say he was 100%, but he felt alright enough that I continued to waffle over if I should continue waiting it out or not.

they're getting switched over to their grass field
and everyone is feeling the spring crazies

Fortunately (I guess lolol), after doing a lovely walk warmup this morning, as soon as I picked up the trot he was Dead Fucking Lame. So lame! LF? Sure. LH? Certainly! 

So I got off and called the next vet in the queue. I debated about who I wanted to come out. Between the racetrack, eventing/hunt country, and our proximity to Cornell we're actually pretty lucky when it comes to availability. What I'm most anxious about is bringing in someone new that won't listen to what I say. Like yes, his hind end is shit, and yes it can be looked at to be improved, but for the love of fucking god someone figure out this fucking LF.

I ended up settling on the track vet. For one, they're looking at a million lame thoroughbreds a day. I know they've seen some shit. But also Hubby's cousin works for their office so I knew I could trauma dump on her over the phone and get some insider trading by way of stealing a cancellation appointment for next Friday when they're booking out all the way into mid-June. 

some days he is clean, some days MB sends me video
of him being jet black 5mins after he's been turned out
with his tail bag hanging in shreds.

I'm not going to lie. I'm super frustrated. Actually I'm feeling rather pissed. It's been a YEAR. I have done everything we can think of and we've come up with absolutely nothing. The tech at my current vet was reading down the CVS receipt length list of imaging to send over to the new vet to look at and we were both giggling in a "holy shit wtf" sort of way. How have we done so much and this horse is still broken?!

Hopefully a fresh set of eyes will bring in some new ideas. Obviously I scratched our show at the end of the month, and while that's not the end of the world the situation as a whole is making me feeling resentful over my horse's continued useless existence. Objectively I know it's not his fault, but it is like, throw me a fucking bone here dude. 

Fingers crossed for next week! 

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry. Hopefully the new vet can sort it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have an ex-racehorse who was on and off lame for too long. Vet said - it’s a stone bruise. I was like really - in the same leg again!?!? X-rays showed clean legs, but a lame horse. Finally I get a new vet and a new diagnosis - significant neck arthritis! Of course! Seems super common in ex racehorses. Just throwing it into your mix. Sometimes a new eye really helps. My horse -
    19 years old - is building neck muscle and enjoying life as a low level dressage horse and trail buddy. Hang in there - the right diagnosis goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've done xrays and ultrasounds on the neck.

      Delete
  3. Blergh Opie honey you have one job, friend. Hopefully this next vet can find the right alchemy to get him more reliably consistent

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I'm so sorry. I fully understand your frustration! Fingers crossed a new set of eyes will be the key.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Buhhhhhh, so frustrating. I'm sorry, friend. Fingers crossed the track vet has new insights for you.

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.