Monday, May 4, 2020

Quick catch up

Despite the amount of time between posts, I actually haven't had that many rides. I've been keeping to only one extra day outside of my three that I'm there to feed except for last week where I pulled in at six in the morning to ride in solitude.

up early for dressage shenanigans 

We ended up putting shoes back on Dopie after...three weeks? He was chewing up his feet too much and, while sound on bute, I wasn't going to make him mince around miserably for no reason. He's had two rides since then including a jump school and he feels so much happier with his sneaks back on.

getting them jumps with that uphill canter

We did a simple flat ride in the Micklem this morning where we schooled the trot half pass--it's getting there. The canter was good, the rest of good enough although he's really starting to get the medium trot. Finally.

On Friday I had him in the double again. We finished up with the basics quickly so I wanted to get a little more done. I decided we'd work on the changes. It was a rodeo. I mean, kind of a sort of fun rodeo, but a rodeo nonetheless. He tried his very hardest to yank me over his head with all his tiny might, but I just kept sitting in the saddle and kicking over and over and over until voila! Clean, crisp, sane changes both ways.

Yesterday I set up a short and simple jump course. We haven't had a real jump school in forever and a day so I didn't set anything above 2'6". With his shoes back on, he was feeling himself and launching over everything--once we got our canter sorted out.


There were several awkward AF distances, and I felt looser in the saddle than I usually do. I should have put my stirrups up a hole, but it's been so long since I've even sat in a jump saddle that I was just rolling with whatever I could get.

I did, however, rock that auto release every time we got into an awkward spot. Yay for not hitting him in the mouth!

no mouth yankies!

He took great offense to the green ascending oxer and slammed on the brakes twice in a row before I dropped one side of the back rail.

"no."

"i said fuck no."

"ok fine."

Tomorrow BM and I are getting brave and taking the boys to the park. Hopefully the cooler weather and the weekday morning keeps most of the populous away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.