Sunday, March 3, 2019

Champions are made in the offseason

False. 

Do you know what's actually made in the off season? Don't worry, I'm here to tell you.

Migraines. Ulcers. (For me, not even the horse.) Existential crises. Weight gain from binge eating Cadbury eggs as if they count as an incredible, edible egg. Which they should.

You may find specific results vary obviously.

neither one of us is hurting for calories to burn to keep ourselves warm.
#babyelephant

I've been battling with a negative mindset stemming from the barn and it's lead to a real disconnect with my blog. While I've always been honest about the struggle of training a horse as an often clueless amateur, and I'm very much against sugar coating things so it looks like my rides are all rainbows and butterflies and things just magically falling into place, I don't want to be the Negative Nancy of the blog world either. Because old Nance is a real bitch and nobody wants to read that--least of all me!

So it seemed best to take a step back until I was able to pull myself out of the dredges of self doubt and self pity.

As always, nothing sparks joy in me more than the promise of giant satin. (See the trend here.) Opie did fucking awesome in the TIP year end round up, and while it will be probably ten years before they mail physical rewards out and I bring you another satin post because I just can't help myself, it was a pleasant kick in the proverbial ass. 

Winter sucks. Training a young horse by yourself sucks. The results of working through it and coming out the other end with #childgenius does not suck.

perspective. even if a few minutes later he almost dumped me.

I took a giant mental deep breath and went out last week with a calmer, clearer head. Show season starts in exactly two months and the leg yields could be steeper. The trot lengthening could be bigger. The canter transitions have reached a new level of shitty. 

But for fuck's sake, that is okay. 

In two months we should have access to our bigger outdoor--provided it's not still under snow and ice. We should be able to get back on the trails to work the booty and give the brain a much needed change of scenery. And the canter transitions? Yeah, I dunno, those might still defeat us. Let's keep it real.

is just here for the cookies

A couple days ago I went back and reread my year-end wrap up posts. This time last year my horse literally could not canter at all without either bashing me in the head with what we scathingly lovingly referred to as his "Donald Duck canter" or face planting into the ground. Or both honestly. He didn't know what stretching was. He could barely hold his balance at the trot. And look where we are now!

I don't want to skip all of winter not writing about whatever issues crop up and how I worked through them. The blog is here to keep track of all of that so I can look back and realize how far we've come. It's hard remind myself that I've been here before and came out the other end perfectly alright if it's not there to go back to.

All that said, I'm going to do my best to return to a semi-regular posting schedule. We're working on a lot, and a lot of it is bad, but we are also making progress in other areas.  

Plus I really want to share that I think when it finally gets above 20* again (maybe never) and I body clip Dopie, HIS NAKED BODY IS GOING TO STAY AS DARK AS HIS WINTER COAT.

#idie

31 comments:

  1. Damn he looks fancy tho! The winter doldrums are real tho, total solidarity. There haven been more times than I care to admit where I’ve just really not felt as connected to the blog. But I’m always glad to have it after the fact so.... it lived on. Glad you’re still writing too!! When all else fails at least we can make fun of our awkward ottbs and their flailful canter transitions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flailful for life, forever and ever amen.

      Delete
  2. I get it. Shit man, I feel like I've been stuck at first level for 10 years. I don't know what the mental block is, but it's real. It's always helpful to go back and look at where you were a year ago and I have no doubt that in a year from now you and Dopes will be a lot closer to conquering the horsey world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does help to look back and realize we weren't even good enough to have these bad problems.

      Delete
  3. Yeah. I hate winter. I envy people who have an indoor even though I know it can get to feel like a gerbil I’m a wheel.

    He looks great n that picture though. Spring is coming. Keep the faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spring has to get here EVENTUALLY, right??

      Delete
  4. Ugggg I totally understand. Winter sucks. Ellie and I have not done anything but toddle around in the 4 feet of stupid sn*w at a freaking WALK for the past three months. She probably doesn't remember how to trot or canter, or even remember what a canter lead is. *sigh* I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you're not pulling your hair out. At least you have giant satin?

      Delete
  5. I creepily stalked those TIP awards and CONGRATS! Perspective is a funny thing isn't it? I'm with you on the Cadbury egg thing... my weakness is the mini eggs... #cantstopwontstop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't even allow myself to try the mini eggs because I feel like I wouldn't be able to stop once I started!

      Delete
  6. Winter is hard. It gets claustrophobic and repetitive no matter how hard we all try to change it up. Glad you are blogging again

    ReplyDelete
  7. The end of winter is the toughest. Every late snowstorm seems to test our resolve. Hope he's nice and dark under that winter coat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he doesn't turn as horribly white as he did last year when I clipped him winter might not be so bad after all!

      Delete
  8. I've been wondering what you've been up to lately, I've been feeling kind of the same way. Horse is not in a ton of work, I'm unrealistically frustrated with the process and then mad at myself for a) not doing more and b) being frustrated at all.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy wow he looks fancy in that pic! Winter is shitty and super hard, baby horses are a PITA. And we'll listen no matter what you have to say! Hang in there, spring is just around the corner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's super fancy when he's not super baby. There is no in between lol.

      Delete
  10. Looking back is so important to see how far you’ve come! I’m going to check the TIP winners again now... I also had some success and looking forward to the satin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were a few bloggers that got awards! We're a successful bunch!

      Delete
  11. Honestly if we can't be honest here on the blogs than why do we have them? Might as well try and do blogging on Instagram where it's all perfect ponies all the time lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I just don't wanna share the whine. Sometimes I like to just whine to myself to make myself feel worse. And then sometimes I need a blog intervention lol.

      Delete
    2. Don't blog intervention include Wine ? I mean tor most of other bloggers lolol maybe we can just give you the cheese part

      Delete
    3. Ooh, now this is an intervention I can look forward to!

      Delete
  12. it's hard - bringing up baby horses thru the off-season (esp when the temperature and weather is NOT helpful). spring is right around the corner !!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Totally get where you're coming from, but don't forget we're all smack dab in the midst of winter blahs. A little internet whine session can be super cathartic. Plus, it seems, we all like to commiserate. Misery DOES love company.
    On the other hand we all have to handle things the way we handle them, so if you're not wanting to share, that's cool too. Just stop by and drop some photos of #childgenius for us once in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've still been reading blogs because it's comforting to know that other people are sucking in the winter too. May we all have a better spring!

      Delete
  14. I was Negative Nancy blogging all winter long - I have no shame :) That picture of you two is goals - looking so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to be negative when you have a smol blonde pony!

      Delete
  15. Daaaaaaamn, he looks super fancy in that one picture (even if he did then try to dump you, which I would like to see video of ;)).

    I remember when you first got him and holy SHIT, you guys have come SO FAR

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.