Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Oh hey

I'm having a bit of a conundrum over blogging lately.

Part of me wants to share every single thing Opie and I are getting up to because Oh Em Gee this kid is such a smarty pants. But I don't want to become that person who expounds on how amazing their horse is, and everyone ends up being like, "Shut the fuck up, bitch. Some of us are over here struggling with real problems."

Spoiler alert though: It's not all roses. Is it ever? Today I clunked my horse's head into a steel support beam in the arena because he was about to somersault picking a fight about the right lead. We are beauty, we are grace. I will hit you in the face. (Not intentionally though, just, you know, please focus on your body parts for fuck's sake, Opie.)

there is no one better at throwing side eye than this kid.

And then there are the wonderful people on facebook who have Opinions on everything. Y'all. EV-UR-E-THINGGGG. From old college friends to one particular person from my barn in PA that feels the needs to comment on every single picture, I can't get away with a mention of Opie or Bobby or any other horse that has ever existed without them being like, "WORDS. WORDS WORDS WORDY WORDS."

"I miss doing real dressage rides."
"DON'T WORRY HE WILL GET THERE HE IS STILL YOUNG IT TAKES TIME ONE DAY HE WILL BE AWESOME AT THINGS TOO JUST WAIT IT WILL BE SO FUN HE IS SO CUTE BUY THIS THING AND THAT THING AND CHANGE THIS THING LET ME TELL YOU A STORY."

Right. I know.

learning

I've actually only ever owned fresh off the track horses, and I've turned every single one of them into the horse I wanted. I've been down this road several times before. Sometimes I just want to share cute pictures or celebrate small wins, and facebook is the quickest place to be like, "Yay, we did a thing!" Then that reaction spirals out of control before I can form a blog post about it and it kills all desire to share with you lovely people who neither annoy me nor say foolish things.

So I need to find a balance of #blessyourtimeline with pictures of The Snoot and bragging about all the fun boxes we're ticking off without crossing the line of  "I will cut you if you don't shut up." Because really, every day we're up to new and amazing things:
  • Trail rides
  • Free jumping
  • Saddle fitting
  • Bareback romping
  • Just Say No to weaving
    • and screaming
    • and invading personal space
    • and bad manners in general
  • Gearing up for our first "horse show"
just say yes to cookies

I do want to document these things to look back on--that being the whole reason I blog in the first place--so expect to see some posts crawling out here shortly.

In the meantime, PA Barn Lady, if you can't refrain from being so obnoxious I'm going to have to start commenting back on all your delusional horse posts and go full on Cyber Psycho on you. Good fucking lord.

62 comments:

  1. I might pay good money to watch the Cyber Psycho Showdown. 😉 I so relate to this. Some days I'm convinced there's real progress. Some days I just want to forget I got dragged halfway back to the pasture while the pile of screaming weasles under me pretended like I was a horrible figment of his imagination. Sigh. Day by day, trying to only compare progress against ourselves. It's hard. I'm here for you fellow "why did I buy a baby oh Jesus not again" person. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I'm in the middle of a ride and I'm like, "Did I imagine all the good things that happened before?! I must have just made it all up."

      Delete
  2. Some people try really hard to be encouraging even when you don't actually need it? Haha. Bless their hearts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The desire to answer people with Bless Your Heart is going to be soooo overwhelming now!

      Delete
    2. This. Exactly this. Just "Bless your heart" them to death and they'll STFU...hopefully? The bad ones will probably just be worse lol

      Delete
  3. I love the "just say no to weaving… and screaming… and invading personal space… "but "just say yes to cookies"

    And if you do go Cyber Psycho Showdown I'll be right there next to Austen with the popcorn watching it go down 😂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This lady deleted almost every single person at PA barn off of fb for no reason and yet kept me who she hasn't seen in person in two years. Listen, stalker. I will fight you.

      Delete
    2. I have someone like this! My facebook is set on "Friends, except AnnoyingAssPerson" privacy settings as default...

      Delete
    3. What she said. Block the batshit crazy lady. #byefelicia

      Delete
  4. Haha I kinda wait to post stuff on Facebook in batches and like past when things happen because it gives me distance if anyone gets weird with me lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish there was a filter on fb that would change people's weird ass comments into completely bland things.

      Delete
  5. I tend to be that person on Facebook, and now I'm going to stop, ha. For me, at least, it's because I love the person and want them to be a happy flower of goodness because I feel like they need all of the positivity in their lives. But I'll contain it because I love your blog posts and don't want to discourage you writing.

    (Also - any luck with the Courbette? I keep stalking those Vision dressage saddles because I should probably have one for backup, right? I'm a Courbette hoarder.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for encouragement, it's the crazy "Let me tell you how to do all the things my way because my way is the best way I don't care if you asked!" comments.

      And I'm pretty set on a County after our fitting--more on that later!

      Delete
    2. Counties are so nice! A friend of mine is a fitter for them and my horses got to be her models for a photo shoot. I told them not to get used to it, because I'm waaaaayyy too poor for 99% of Counties.

      Delete
  6. lol yea i relate. really relate. i like to post stuff too without necessarily appreciating being reminded that.... idk, horses. anyway tho the new smartypants looks so fantastic in all these pictures, squeeeee :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eh. It's your corner of life and if you want to scream how amazing your horse is, DO IT! I'd read it. He's adorable. I think we all know you've earned some fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've debated just making this a pictoral blog from here on out lol.

      Delete
  8. HAHAHAH Carly, please keep blogging! I want to hear all the little moments in baby Opie land! Plus, side eye... all the side eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every moment brought to you with a heavy dose of side eye.

      Delete
  9. I struggle more on fb than on my blog with sharing horse stuff. For some reason I've gotten the vibe a few times that people on fb think I'm bragging if I share happy horse news (even though I am a legit bareback hobo). I love Opie and will happily read one million posts about how awesome he is :P

    ReplyDelete
  10. i feel you

    how do we just say no to weaving???! besides throwing more food at their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I alternate between candy and beating. A post on that to follow.

      Delete
  11. I wonder how many (other) people just searched for an annoying commentator on Opie's photos....

    I'm finding it hard to blog, too. "Whiskey evaded work for twenty minutes before my trainer beat me into being a better rider."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should have taken you guys .02 seconds to locate her. Or even hers. There are two that really like to have at it.

      Delete
  12. He is the BEST at side eye though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will never stop bragging about his side eye skillz!

      Delete
  13. DON'T WORRY HE WILL GET THERE HE IS STILL YOUNG IT TAKES TIME ONE DAY HE WILL BE AWESOME AT THINGS TOO JUST WAIT IT WILL BE SO FUN HE IS SO CUTE BUY THIS THING AND THAT THING AND CHANGE THIS THING LET ME TELL YOU A STORY.
    Just kidding. The above made me lol though, because freakin' story of my life anytime I share on fb...except often it's my non horsey mom doing the commenting. Thanks mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh god, I had to delete my mom off of fb so many years ago because she was the actual craziest. No regrets.

      Delete
  14. Yeh... mostly that fb person for me is just my mom.
    *Post a full-body picture of Gavin*
    *mom who knows nearly nothing about horses must comment "Erika - he is looking so good"*
    *thanks?... I guess?...*

    Annnnd I just read T's comment just above. I guess this is a common issue ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom would look for something wrong instead of throwing random compliments out. "Why is he wearing leg wraps and foot wraps HE MOST BE BROKEN AND DYING OH GODDDD." Um, okay, those are polos and bell boots, calm down.

      Delete
  15. And now I will commence stalking your Facebook page just to be there first when Cyber Psycho Showdown! Woot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you guys know to look for it, it's going to be so much more for fun you all. At least someone can enjoy it!

      Delete
  16. At least her heart is in the right place? Too PollyAnna? Go ahead and brag about your pony. It makes me feel better about bragging about mine.
    **runs off to search FB**

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, now I feel like I shouldn't have deleted some of the posts where people annoyed me too much so you guys could get the full experience. I'll try to start subtly highlighting them for entertainment value.

      Delete
  17. I totally get what you mean. For me, I delete comments I don't like, and I don't feel bad one iota!! MY facebook, MY happy space. I don't care if that sounds selfish. If I didn't ask for opinions... I don't want them!! If you think I'm a snob because all I talk about is how amazing my horse is, I seriously do not care. No negativity allowed in my happy place!

    You and Opie are amazing and I love hearing about every one of his accomplishments. I'm routinely impressed with how far he has come in such a short amount of time!

    <3 Kelly #@ HunkyHanoverian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've deleted a few that I kept coming back and just staring at because I couldn't get over how oblivious the person was being. Horse people be cray.

      Delete
  18. Oh god, that's why you can set your privacy so Crazytown Lady doesn't have to see your posts. It's the next best thing to unfriending if you don't want to deal with the backlash of that. And I am totally with you on the how much does one share about baby horse until it gets super ridiculous haha. We jumped a cross rail the other day and I was like huh, should I even post about this or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But then she KNOWS I've blocked her because she stalks me. But then she'll probably just delete me so is that really a loss?

      Delete
  19. Blog what you want, as often as you want with as much glitter as you want thrown in. It's your blog, for you. We'll read it, or we won't. :)
    Keep on keeping on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But if I actually throw glitter on Opie can anyone resist not reading? ;)

      Delete
  20. I love all your posts and think Opie looks great in purple! Ps I hate effing Facebook which is why I follow you on Instagram, people be crazy and shit sorry ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He best look good in purple because after saddle shopping I'm going to be too poor to buy him anything else of his own! :P

      Delete
  21. please keep blogging!!! and blog about the 'boring' stuff!! i love your posts <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. Haha I used to totally freewheel with my facebook privacy (im not interesting enough to stalk!) but I've locked it down pretty tight in the last year. I also delete people unapologetically, am way pickier about who I add, and never hesitate to add people to restricted lists.

    But for all that, I'm definitely person #1 who is like WAY TOO JACKED about her horse and drives everyone nuts with it. Eh well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You attract wayyyy more crazies than me. Not jelly.

      Delete
  23. Girl, own it! You have a kickass, easygoing, go-with-the-flow baby TB doing baby TB things. Why do we blog if not to blog about the little things? Enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really need to document all the good for when he inevitably goes bad. I know it's in there somewhere, I can't possibly be this lucky!

      Delete
  24. Write all the things! I wanna hear about your mostly perfect baby horse please :) Unless you don't want to, and then you know, you do you... But still... I wanna read all the things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mostly perfect baby horse boringness coming to a blog near you!

      Delete
  25. Why not just block the crazy person? I block people who annoy me on fb. But please keep blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more stupid comment from her and she's blocked. The other people are actually my real friends so I don't want to get weird and shut them down. Just...slow them down on their unwanted enthusiasm.

      Delete
  26. Maybe I'm the only one, but I actually like reading about ALL THE THINGS. Because honestly, that groundwork stuff and like... basics before basics I have no experience with teaching. So it's fun and educational for me to read about!

    WRITE MORE ABOUT THE SNOOT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then strap in because we're working hard on the basics before basics...and sometimes things even more basic than that!

      Delete
  27. If it's all glitter and rainbow snoots, I'm down with that. I do expect the occasional "fuck" thrown in for good measure because otherwise, where would all the fun be? You write what you want, I will read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But why hasn't The Snoot been covered in rainbows and glitter for real yet?!

      Delete
  28. The Facebook commentary is one of the main reasons that I don't spend any time there anymore. Not that it's perfect but I feel like Instagram is so much better comment-wise

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.