Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Hoofers

It's that wonderful time of the month where I randomly think to bring my camera to the barn and take pictures of Bobby's hooves. Yay!

He was last trimmed this Monday:

RF

RF
LF

LF
RH

RH
LH

LH

And yes, the WLD is being treated. Stupid hoofers.

Bobby had the last two days off and got back into work this morning with a light dressage school. Despite how much I'm still whining about the dressage show, I did manage to pull a couple of useful things out of our comments. Mostly that I need to stop letting Bobby dope along in his chosen gait--that being "How slow can I go without falling down?" So today's big focus was asking for more energy, more impulsion, and the ever elusive straightness.

one handsome hunk of horseflesh mugging for cookies.

Ugh, my horse can be so dreamy sometimes. He was all, "Ask and you shall receive...receive the fanciest mother fucking dressage moose you've ever seen!" I shortened up my reins, put my leg on, and he lifted himself right up and away we went for twenty minutes of badassery. We finished up with some lateral work at the sitting trot, including one ramrod straight leg yield right.

Let me just say, I love my new saddle. I'd never sat in one before or even seen one in person, and had only read reviews online,  but it is literally perfect. It fits comfortably over Bobby's giant Thoroughbred withers; the twist isn't super narrow, but it isn't the awful wide twist like a Wintec; the shorter flap makes it easier to feel his sides, and while I thought I might not like this because of how long my leg is, I actually love it; and the biggish knee blocks aren't obnoxious at all. It puts me in an awesome position, and I'm sooo comfortable in it.

I'm quickly becoming a lover of all things dressage, but I sent in my entry to Burgundy Hollow this morning so back into the jump tack we go tomorrow.

Also, the bald eagle's eggs down the road from us hatched! Cutest little alien birds ever:



6 comments:

  1. I love the dressage moose comment. :) Yay for upcoming shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! The bull nosed hinds are SO MUCH BETTER! Keep doing what you're doing all the way around; if you start managing the flares more on all feet, the hoof capsule should respond some more to get his heels more upright. Flare management and tons of movement should help! Look into some "under run heels" articles and see what information you can drum up that may help. Managing flares is what helped my horses. Every horse is different though!

    Super awesome, Carly! Keep it up. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes for badassery dressage! He looks like a total stud in the top photo. And hooves are looking very nice - you should be so proud of yourself!! Is Burgundy Hollow a HT?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we need a post on dressage from Bobby's POV!

    Also, I cracked up over the alien bird comment. Birds have to be one of the only animals that are so NOT CUTE when babies. Ducks though - ducks are freaking adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have eagles!!! How cool!

    ReplyDelete

If you can't say anything nice, fuck off.